What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 track and field/ cross country off-season news and general discussion thread

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The 2020 track and field seasons ended much earlier than fans and, even more so, the team wanted, so I thought it's time to start this thread for any news (and discussion of it) about the T&F/CC teams during this off-season.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1st off, congrats to senior Dani Jones for being named one of only three women nationwide as finalists for the Coaches' Association's National track athlete of the year honor!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/3/20/...ed-national-athlete-of-the-year-finalist.aspx

"
NEW ORLEANS – The honors keep rolling in for Colorado track and field senior Dani Jones after the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association named her one of three finalists for the USTFCCCA National Women's Track Athlete of the Year Friday morning.

"Although I'm saddened by the abrupt end to the season, I'm honored to be named one of the three finalists for national athlete of the year," said Jones. "I'm especially thankful for the University of Colorado, my coaches, family and friends for their continued support."

Jones was the heavy favorite for the mile national title before all championships were canceled. She led the field by three seconds entering the meet after running the sixth-fastest time in NCAA history at the Wanamaker Mile in the 113th Millrose Games. On top of that, she also had the ninth-best time in the 5,000 after running with Makena Morley in Boston, as the duo ran virtually alone for the last few laps. Jones is the only female athlete in NCAA history in the top-10 in both the mile and 5,000.

In addition to her top-10 achievements, Jones was also ranked third in the 5,000 and fifth in the 800 in the nation. The senior was planning to attempt the mile/800 double where she would've been slated against another National Athlete of the Year Finalist in Nia Akins of Penn.

Jones became the third CU student-athlete named USTFCCA Regional Athlete of the Year during the indoor season earlier this month, joining Jenny Barringer in 2009 and Emma Coburn in 2013. The honor was just the eighth regional track athlete of the year for the squad all-time.

Jones was named the USTFCCCA Cross Country Athlete of the Year following her 2018 National Championship. She also became the fifth CU student-athlete with a USTFCCCA Regional and National Athlete of the Year honor, joining Barringer, Dathan Ritzenhein, Jorge Torres and Adam Goucher. She would be the only CU athlete to ever capture a cross country and track honor.

The other two finalists include Akins of Penn who was the national leader in the 800 after running the second-fastest time in NCAA history in February. They are joined by LSU's Tonia Marshall who had the nation's best time in the 60 hurdles after running the fifth-fastest 60 hurdles time ever, becoming the third-best performer in NCAA history. She also had the 11th and 12th fastest marks in NCAA history this season.
"

Congrats to the 6 Buffs named indoor T&F All-Americans!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/5/26/track-and-field-six-named-to-indoor-all-america-team.aspx

Quoting the full article -
"
Six Named To Indoor All-America Team

By: Shaun Wicen, Assistant SID
Release: May 26, 2020

NEW ORLEANS – Six track and field athletes for the University of Colorado have been named to the 2020 All-America team for the indoor track and field season, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced Tuesday afternoon.

Due to the cancellation of the indoor championships, the NCAA Division I Track & Field Committee decided to acknowledge all 671 accepted athletes that would've competed at the championships in March. The committee also decided to drop all distinctions of first-team or second-team along with honorable mention. In total, 119 institutions were honored.

Colorado athletes that earned All-America honors are: Dani Jones (800, Mile, DMR), Makena Morley (3,000, 5,000), Joe Klecker (3,000, 5,000), Karina Mann (DMR), Rachel McArthur (DMR) and Valerie Welch (DMR).

Jones was one of 10 women to earn three honors, while there were four on the men's side. Jones, along with Klecker and Morley, announced that they were foregoing the NCAA's allowed outdoor repeat in 2021 to train professionally.
"

Last edited:
Congrats to Sage Hurta, Dani Jones, and Joe Klecker!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/5/30/...-cosida-academic-all-district-first-team.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado track and field program had three individuals named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District Seven First Team, the association announced Friday evening.

The three Buffaloes selected are Sage Hurta, Joe Klecker and Dani Jones. The CoSIDA Academic All-America program is the longest-running and most prestigious academic and athletic award for student-athletes. All nominees must have a GPA of 3.30 or above and be a starter or important reserve.

Hurta, a returning Academic All-American, is a senior with a 3.97 GPA in chemical and biological engineering. In the fall of 2019, Hurta became just the second-ever CU female athlete to earn her fourth All-America honor in cross country. She also is the school record holder for the outdoor 800.

Jones, a four-time national champion, is a redshirt senior with a 3.33 GPA in psychology and speech, language and hearing sciences. This is her first All-District selection. She was one of 10 women that earned three All-America honors this indoor season.

Klecker, the NCAA cross country individual runner-up, is a redshirt senior with a 3.66 GPA in biochemistry. Klecker reset his own school record in the indoor 5,000 this season and broke the Colorado soil record in the mile at 4:01.00. This is his first All-District selection.

All three will automatically be eligible to become an Academic All-American. The District 7 is composed of 12 women and 13 men from Division I schools in Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma and Texas.
"

Just wanted to mention that, per the article linked to below, Dani Jones is one of (a whopping) 605 female student-athletes across all 3 NCAA divisions who has been nominated for this year's "NCAA Woman of the Year award". (Per the article, 259 of the nominees are from D1, and per a quick webpage search, looks like 11 are from the Pac 12.)

Congrats to her, and best wishes as the selection process goes forward!

Article listing the nominees (dated today) - http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...chools-announce-nominees-2020-ncaa-woman-year

Article describing the general selection process - http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/events/awards/ncaa-woman-year-nomination-and-award-process

(From the 1st article linked to above, the general process is -
"
Conference offices will select up to two nominees each from their pool of member school nominees. All nominees who compete in a sport not sponsored by their school’s primary conference, as well as associate conference nominees and independent nominees, will be considered by a selection committee. Then, the Woman of the Year selection committee, made up of representatives from the NCAA membership, will choose the Top 30 honorees — 10 from each division.

From the Top 30, the Woman of the Year selection committee will determine the top three honorees in each division and announce nine finalists. The NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics then will choose the 2020 NCAA Woman of the Year, who will be named this fall.
")

Edit- Now see there was a Buff announcement on this -

I know this forum doesn't get a whole lot of action or love - but I know that at least I really appreciate the work you put in to keep it updated @AztecBuff

Thanks.

Heartfelt and brave article written by Buff runner Emily Venters.

Hope her recovery (both physical and psychological) continue, and she continues to gain the strength to handle any new challenges that arise!

If anyone here is a track and field alum, or knows anyone else who is, something to pencil in their 2021 calendars.

Noticed the women's and men's cross country teams now have a 2020 (hopefully) will be a 2021 season) roster that includes the 2020/21 freshman class.
  • 1st, once again welcome to the 3 women and 4 men who had already been noted in this thread as becoming Buffs (in parentheses is the post # in this thread where each was discussed in more detail)- Iowa's Camille Jackson (517), Colorado's Sarah O'Sullivan (524), California's Whitney Valenti (535), Jace Aschbrenner (520) and Caleb Niednagel (518), Minnesota's Jake Derouin (523) and New Jersey's Shaw Powell (518).
  • And, welcome to the one freshman who wasn't previously known to me, local student-athlete (from Niwot HS) Joelle McDonald!
More on her:
HS Cross country results - https://www.athletic.net/CrossCountry/Athlete.aspx?AID=10558547
HS Track results - https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=10558547

bocopreps.com article from April about her and fellow Cougar Elise Gillett (a multi-event commit on the track team) committing to the Buffs - https://www.bocopreps.com/2020/04/2...ald-elise-gillett-eager-to-bolster-cu-roster/

As usual, the Buff teams both start ranked in the Top 10 in the main (coaches') pre-season polls.

Hope all goes well for them in training, and they have a successful (and complete) season!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/10/28/colorado-opens-cross-country-season-ranked-in-top-10.aspx

"
BOULDER – While the 2020 NCAA Cross Country season will be completely different than anyone has ever seen, some things just don't change as the Colorado men and women cross country programs open the season ranked in the top-10 (women seventh, men ninth) by the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), the association announced Tuesday.

The women open the season ranked seventh overall with 257 votes, just 30 behind the defending Pac-12 Champions in Stanford at fifth. Defending national champion Arkansas leads the nation with 323 votes including eight of the 11 first place votes, followed by New Mexico and BYU.

On the men's side, Northern Arizona take the top spot with 10 of the 11 first place votes. Defending national champion BYU is in second followed by Arkansas, Stanford and Oklahoma State. The CU men's ninth-place start marks the 22nd year in a row since the USTFCCCA began digitally archiving the Coaches' Poll.

Individually, the Buffs are looking to Eduardo Herrera on the men's side to lead things in his senior campaign, along with All-American Alec Hornecker and senior Paxton Smith. The team also has a plethora of young talent led by Kashon Harrison, Austin Vancil, Hunter Appleton and Noah Hibbard, the later three having strong indoor seasons before the season was cancelled. The team will also have Mississippi State transfer Stephen Jones who finished 80th last year at NCAAs.

For the women, Rachel McArthur, Holly Bent and Madie Boreman are the returning upperclassmen that will all have strong contributions, along with transfers Micaela DeGenero from Michigan and Abby Nichols from Ohio State that placed 97th and 41st at NCAAs, respectfully. They will also have some younger up-and-comers like Annie Hill and Emily Covert.

Colorado's indoor track and cross country seasons haven't finished being scheduled yet. The team is eyeing the March 15th NCAA Cross Country Championships that are set at Stillwater, Okla.
"

Links to full polls -
Women's - http://www.ustfccca.org/2020/10/fea...ns-cross-country-national-coaches-poll-week-1
Men's - http://www.ustfccca.org/2020/10/fea...ns-cross-country-national-coaches-poll-week-1

This is actually almost a week old, so not really “news”, but wanted to note that, per what I 1st read on thestridereport.com (see below for links), the NCAA announced some things regarding the 2020/21 cross country (XC) season last week (November 4th).

Things I saw or think of that are of note from this:
  • 1st, wanted to note that, of course, in this pandemic, all plans and schedules are "in pencil".
  • XC has been the one sport the Buffs compete in where NCAA Championship selection for the team is traditionally based on mathematical (KOLAS points) calculation. This season, however, it looks like there will be a selection committee making the (subjective) choices. (Makes sense to me, of course, given that the number of races will be far lesser this season.)
  • The NCAA announcement does mention the NCAA Championships are (still) scheduled for Stillwater on March 15th, as was announced once the fall sport championships' were all moved to the spring semester. Based on that, I assume the overall (Covid-19) revised schedule announced earlier (and already noted in the https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/co...ns-will-be-conference-play-only.145119/page-2 thread), with 1st XC competition in the spring semester allowed on January 23rd. (Note- there are no NCAA regional championships this season.)
  • Based on the wording of both the article and NCAA release, I'd assume the plan might be (???) for conference championships to be held somewhere in the March 3rd-5th range.?. (It will be interesting to see if the 3 Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12 and SEC) that went ahead and had fall championships will be at an advantage in "saving their legs" a little bit by not having to having to have big races in early March.?.)
  • As I mentioned in the thread linked to above, it’s going to be a weird year for the distance runners, as this revised schedule means they (and their coaches/ team) have to decide between how hard they can compete at the indoor championships, as those championships are now scheduled (March 12th-13) to be just a few days before the XC championships. (I thought I might have read at one point that runners would only be allowed to run in one or the other, but couldn’t find anything about that now via a quick Google search.) I'm not in any way an expert, but I find it hard to believe many if any athletes' coaches would have them run at the indoor championships (in Fayetteville AR) in the 3000M or 5000M, and then have them travel to Stillwater to run a 10K (for men) or 6K (for women) a couple days later.
  • Assuming, as I’d GUESS would be the case for the Buffs given their cross country legacy, all the top true long distance athletes with XC eligibility will be concentrating there, that could mean there will be a 3 season gap between when distance runners would have been able to compete at the Indoor Championships, as the 2020 Championships were cancelled at the last moment due to Covid-19. (Note that, assuming they’re healthy, the top women’s (Sage Hurta) and men’s (John Dressel) runner are out of cross country eligibility, so there will hopefully still be Buff distance runners to root for at Indoors, along with of course any other top track and field folk who aren’t on the long distance running side.)

Direct link to NCAA release - http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-2020-di-cross-country-championships-approved

Back