What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 WBB Recruit Profile Index

Looks like Kendra Gillispie (See post 19 for more on her and her Buff offer) has chosen Marquette.

Happened to be checking out the excellent wbbblog link (https://wbbblog.com/colorado-womens-basketball-recruiting/) mentioned throughout these women recruiting threads, and per that blog the Buffs made another 2021 offer (last October) to Eva Trushkina, who per the link is a 6'3" F from Russia who's currently at Bella Vista College Prep in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Also per the link, the only other current outstanding 2021 Buff offer (IOW- to a player that hasn't already committed somewhere) is Chloe Dallas (see post #19 for more on her).

At this point, it would seem that there aren't any scholarships available for the class of 21.

There are, by my count, 15 scholarship players and only 2 seniors (Jenk and Hollingshed).

Can't see a women's transfer thread, so thought I'd put this here since it does affect the recruiting situation for the 2021/22 season.

Per the excellent source for women's basketball recruiting including, evidently, transfers (https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-fall-2020-summer-2021/4/), sophomore guard Madison Buford, who just came to CU this season as a JC transfer, is in the transfer portal.

Assuming she does end up moving on, best wishes to her wherever she may end up.

(If https://wbbblog.com/colorado-womens-basketball-recruiting/ is accurate, she is on scholarship, so that could open up recruiting if Coach Payne and company can find another student-athlete they wish to sign for next season/ academic year.)

Last edited:
A little more on the 2 (from their Udub roster pages) @MarkW gave us from the Brian Howell tweet, and what they did this past season with the Huskies -

Quay Miller ( https://gohuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/quay-miller/11790 ) - She was a sophomore this past season, and is a 6'3" center from Renton, Washington.
"
2020-21: One of three players to see action in all 21 games, but the only one to start every game ... third on the team in scoring (9.9 ppg) and led the team in rebounding (6.0 rpg, 13th in Pac-12) ... 1.7 steals per contest was third among Huskies, 10th in the Pac-12 Conference ... reached double-figure points in 13 games, 20 points twice ... 8+ rebounds in nine games .... 3+ steals in seven games ... notched the first double-double of her career with 19 points and 10 rebounds in the season opener against San Diego State ... recorded a career-best 5 steals at Cal ... scored a career high 21 points on 8 of 9 shooting (also 9 rebounds) vs. Portland ... notched her second career double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds vs. Oregon ... tallied 20 points for the second time during the season on Jan. 26 at Oregon State ... recorded second double-double on Feb. 19 in win over Utah (14 pts/10 rebs/3 stls) ... averaged 15 ppg in the Pac-12 Tournament ... led UW with 19 points and seven rebounds vs. UCLA on March 3.
"

Tameiya Sadler (https://gohuskies.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/tameiya-sadler/11798) - She was only a freshman this past season, and is a 5'8" point guard from Vallejo, Calif.. (Sounds like she was already a VERY good shooter as a frosh.)
"
2020-21: Emerged as one of the top freshmen in the Pac-12, appearing in 18 games, making 10 starts ... led team in assists (2.4) and ranked second with 10.4 points and 1.9 steals per game ... shot a team-best .452 from 3-point territory (14-31) and 80.0% (48-60) from the FT line ... 45.2% from 3-point range is the sixth best in UW single-season history and the best ever by a freshman ... 80% from the line is 3rd best by a UW freshman ... ranked seventh in the Pac-12 in steals per game and 19th in assists per game ... 10+ points in 10 games, 20 points twice ... had a steal in 13 of her final 14 games ... named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on Nov. 30 after averaging 17.5 points, 5 rebounds and shooting 60 percent during the first week of action ... only Husky freshman to receive the honor in their first debut week ... hit game-winning bucket with seven seconds on the clock against San Diego State, lifting UW to a 61-59 win ... scored 23 points on 7 of 8 shooting, 3 for 3 from 3-point range, grabbing 7 rebounds and recording 3 steals in her second career game vs. BYU ... became the first Husky freshman since Kelsey Plum to score 20 points in back-to-back games, scoring 23 against BYU followed by 21 at Cal ... returned to lineup at Colorado and scored 14 points, grabbed four rebounds and stole two passes ... was limited at Oregon and Oregon State, but averaged 11 ppg, 4.5 rpg and 3 apg ... scored 17 points in win over Colorado, shooting 6-of-9 from the field ... returned to the starting lineup for the Pac-12 Tournament and averaged 15 ppg, 3.5 spg, 5.0 apg and 4.0 rpg ... scored 18 points and dished out a career-high 8 assists (also 4 rebounds and 3 steals) vs. Colorado on March 3 ... had 12 points and 4 steals in quarterfinals vs. UCLA.
"

Edit- Notice that Washington just changed coaches (https://gohuskies.com/news/2021/4/5...-washington-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx), which is I assume at minimum part of the reason these 2 might be leaving Seattle.

Last edited:
UDub just hired a new head coach so that was most likely a major factor in the decision of Miller and Sadler to leave.

Sadler hitting 45% from 3 point range is impressive. Wonder if she will play shooting guard more than point guard for the Buffs?

What is the rule on transfers within the conference? They have to sit out or can they play right away? Seems like transfers are getting to go day one these days. In conference, idk?

Official certification that the 2 Washington transfers are Boulder bound.

OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to both new Buffs!

Last edited:
Article on the 2 new transfers -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/4/16/womens-basketball-payne-buffs-add-a-pair-of-transfers.aspx

"
BOULDER – A pair of familiar faces will be wearing new colors next year when they take the floor of the CU Events Center. Washington transfers Quay Miller and Tameiya Sadler are swapping the purple and gold for the Black and Gold at the start of the 2021-22 season.

"We are thrilled to announce the signings of Quay Miller and Tameiya Sadler," head coach JR Payne exclaimed. "They are two of the best young players in the Pac-12 and I have no doubt that they will positively impact our program."

Miller, a center from Renton, Wash., spent her first two seasons at UW. She started six games as a true freshman and played in 29 in the 2019-20 season. She scored a season-high 13 points and added five rebounds against California (Feb. 2, 2020). She averaged 5.3 points, 3.1 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game in her first season. Miller was the only Husky to start every game last season (21). She was third on the team with 9.9 points per game and led Washington with 6.0 rebounds per game. She scored in double figures 13 times, including two twenty-point games against Portland and Oregon State. Miller recorded two double-doubles last season and averaged 15 ppg in the Pac-12 Tournament, including 11 against the Buffs.

"We recruited Quay out of high school and have always loved what she brings to the floor," Payne commented. "She's a versatile scoring punch. Has tremendous rebounding ability and is someone who can defend any player on the court. We can't wait to add her to our ball club for the next three years."

Sadler, a guard from Vallejo, Calif., lead Washington in assists (2.4) and ranked second on the team in points (10.4) and steals (1.9) in her first collegiate season. She led the Huskies with a .452 3-point field goal percentage and shot 80 percent (48-60) from the free-throw line. Her 3-point efficiency marked the best by a UW freshman and was the sixth-best in program history. Sadler scored 10 or more points in 10 games last season and hit the 20-point mark twice. She was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on Nov. 30 after averaging 17.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and a 60.0 shooting percentage. She recorded her 20-point games in back-to-back contests against BYU (23) and California (21), becoming the first Husky freshman since Kelsey Plum to register back-to-back 20-point performances. Sadler scored 18 points and handed out a season-high eight assists against CU in the Pac-12 Tournament. She averaged 15 points, 5.0 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 3.5 steals per game in Las Vegas.

"Tameiya was one of the top-scoring freshmen in the conference this year and she certainly lit us up when we played," Payne recalled. "It will be great to have her playing in the Black and Gold this year. I love Tameiya's competitive spirit and know that her varied skill set will add depth and a scoring punch on the offensive side of the floor.

"Adding quality depth in this offseason was a huge priority for our ball club," Payne noted. "We certainly have done that with Quay and Tameiya. They know the Pac-12 and understand what it takes to be successful in the conference. I know that Buff fans will love watching them play for years to come."

CU finished 12-11 in the shortened season and went 8-8 in the Pac-12. Colorado closed the season with a run to the quarterfinals of the WNIT, winning six of its last eight games of the season. The Buffs have all five starters returning from the 2020-21 season, including WBCA honorable mention All-American Mya Hollingshed and Pac-12 All-Freshman Frida Formann.
"

I think JR Payne & former UW Coach Jody Wynn run in the same professional circles. Didn't one of JR's assistants get the Long Beach job when Wynn went to UW? Maybe has something to do with pulling the 2 transfers.

I think JR Payne & former UW Coach Jody Wynn run in the same professional circles. Didn't one of JR's assistants get the Long Beach job when Wynn went to UW? Maybe has something to do with pulling the 2 transfers.
Yes. Jeff Cannon (sp) was a JR assistant coach for a season or 2 then hired for the Long Beach job. He had previously been an assistant at Cal and at Long Beach for a number of years so there definitely could be that connection.

What is the rule on transfers within the conference? They have to sit out or can they play right away? Seems like transfers are getting to go day one these days. In conference, idk?
I believe the rules adopted this week by the NCAA enable the players to transfer one year out of the four years and they do not have to sit out a season. I think those rules were effective immediately.

Good luck to her. Southland conference is much more suited to her level of play than the PAC was.
I think maybe part of her process is San Houston has a good cyber security program. I believe she was majoring in that area here at CU. Maybe more playing time and still pursue her education to work in cybersecurity. Hopefully a win-win.

I believe the rules adopted this week by the NCAA enable the players to transfer one year out of the four years and they do not have to sit out a season. I think those rules were effective immediately.
The other side of the coin, coaches fret about free agency but coaches can also not renew a scholarship. When students enter the transfer portal, I don't think there is a checkbox that says the coach was not going to renew my scholarship.

I do ask myself, has Coach Payne told players I am not renewing your scholarship and hence their entry into the portal. Its a tough conference with a continual arms race so I expect some hard choices get made.

Finally, I am bummed Jank did not sign up for another year but based on the little snippets of information out there, I think she is ready to move on and pursue a career. Otherwise, I would have expected by now to see her name in the transfer portal.

The other side of the coin, coaches fret about free agency but coaches can also not renew a scholarship. When students enter the transfer portal, I don't think there is a checkbox that says the coach was not going to renew my scholarship.

I do ask myself, has Coach Payne told players I am not renewing your scholarship and hence their entry into the portal. Its a tough conference with a continual arms race so I expect some hard choices get made.

Finally, I am bummed Jank did not sign up for another year but based on the little snippets of information out there, I think she is ready to move on and pursue a career. Otherwise, I would have expected by now to see her name in the transfer portal.
Wait, are you the same Gary Indiana or another one all together? Don't be confusing me on this ****ing board man. :D

Unless something has changed back I hadn't heard about, the Pac 12 (and all the Power 5 conferences) back in 2014/15 changed their rules so that no student-athlete on scholarship can have their scholarship taken away due to athletic performance issues. (I believe the only justifications for taking a scholarship away are academic and/ or other off the court (breaking laws or not following the school's rules of conduct) issues).

If you're interested, from a quick Google search, here are an article and "facts about" links from 2014 and 2015 about the changes - https://www.espn.com/college-sports...orms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships , https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/.

(Note- Other schools and conferences could also choose to individually institute this change, For example, I seem to remember that CSU immediately announced it was also guaranteeing scholarships after the Power 5 made their announcement.)

I assume what does spur some transfers is what I've heard anecdotally about in every sport where, in post-season (and maybe even in-season) meetings, the student-athlete might be told by the coach(es) it's looking like they may not receive much if any playing time next season, and they might want to explore options with other schools if that's important to them.

Last edited:
Unless something has changed back I hadn't heard about, the Pac 12 (and all the Power 5 conferences) back in 2014/15 changed their rules so that no student-athlete on scholarship can have their scholarship taken away due to athletic performance issues. (I believe the only justifications for taking a scholarship away are academic and/ or other off the court (breaking laws or not following the school's rules of conduct) issues).

If you're interested, from a quick Google search, here are an article and "facts about" links from 2014 and 2015 about the changes - https://www.espn.com/college-sports...orms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships , https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/.

(Note- Other schools and conferences could also choose to individually institute this change, For example, I seem to remember that CSU immediately announced it was also guaranteeing scholarships after the Power 5 made their announcement.)

I assume what does spur some transfers is what I've heard anecdotally about in every sport where, in post-season (and maybe even in-season) meetings, the student-athlete might be told by the coach(es) it's looking like they may not receive much if any playing time next season, and they might want to explore options with other schools if that's important to them.
I stand happily corrected. I read one article but not enough on the topic.

Back