What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022/23 SOCCER general off-season news thread (Soccer Ball (benefit) 8/19; 1st match hosting Northern Colo. 8/17.)

The team began practicing today (at Folsom) for the coming season, with the instrasquad scrimmage 11 days out and the official season opener only ~2-1/2 weeks away.

Cubuffs article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/1/soccer-buffs-begin-march-to-season-opener.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado Soccer converted Folsom Field into a makeshift soccer pitch on Tuesday as the team began preparations for the 2023 season.

The Buffaloes officially opened practice in Folsom due to the Prentup Field renovations still underway. CU took to Folsom for the morning session and will be back out there on Wednesday and Thursday before shifting back to Prentup Field next week.

"We appreciate the football team and our awesome ground crew getting the pitch, or field, in perfect shape," head coach Danny Sanchez expressed. "We appreciate them let us use it for a few days to prepare. It's different. It is a great setting and when I told the players we were going to be out here they were super excited because most of the time they are on the other side [in the crowd] of the field. Nobody ever gets to get out on the grass and I thought that brought an extra bit of energy. I think once they get out to Prentup next week and see the quality of the pitch there – I think that energy is going to be reenergized again."

The 2023 squad is a very different-looking team from the version fans last saw walking off Prentup Field in November. The Buffs have 14 newcomers this fall, including eight freshmen and six transfers. Sanchez and his staff wasted zero time throwing them to the fire on Tuesday, with a majority of the morning session spent playing 11-on-11.

"No games are going to be won or lost today or this week," Sanchez stated. "We just want to start implementing our tactical system as far as what we're seeing with a lot of new players – basically half the team is new. We want to slowly feed them what we're looking for, on and off the ball and how they prepare to set up their teammates and so forth.

Colorado has 16 days to put the pieces together, before opening the season against Northern Colorado on Aug. 17 (7 p.m. MT). Among those pieces is finding a new backstop. Senior Lindsey Smith is the only holder over at the goalkeeper position from last year, playing in just one match against Texas A&M Commerce. She will compete with Oklahoma State transfer Jordan Nytes and freshman Jaime Campbell to fill the vacancy.

"Jordy [Nytes] is coming off an injury in the spring and then she was training with the U20 National Team so she missed a lot of the spring," Sanchez added. "This is kind of her first go around with [goalkeeper coach] Jason [Green]. We're really high on Jaime. We think she has a ton of upside and potential so we'll see how she competes. Lindsey worked hard in the offseason and has come into the fall really improved. We're very pleased that she'll be in there competing."

Also missing from the 2022 roster is NWSL rookie Civana Kuhlmann and her 12 goals and 30 points from a year ago. Junior Shyra James put up big numbers last season with 11 goals of her own, but the two combined for 23 of the team's 42 total tallies.

"We feel that we have the players, returning and newcomers, that have the potential to be impact players," Sanchez explained. "No names yet but I thought even on the first day there were a few players that really stood out and hopefully they continue to build off that."

The Buffaloes will continue to hold two-a-day training before heading out on a team retreat on Friday.

Colorado take its first steps on the newly renovated Prentup Field when it returns to training next week, culminating with the annual Black & Gold scrimmage on Aug. 12.
"

And, Buffzone also released a Pat Rooney written article, which both covers the upcoming season and has some info and quotes from Coach Sanchez about the pending Big 12 move -

Direct link - https://www.buffzone.com/2023/08/01...s-womens-soccer-ahead-of-final-run-in-pac-12/

just because I am snarky. Maybe if the USWNT had somebody who does not miss penalty kicks and is known to be able to score goals, they would still be playing. IDK, but I remember Taylor Korniak never missed a penalty kick in college hmm

The stand won’t be up for this event, so if you want to sit bring your own seating.

Also, why is this scheduled at noon when Prentup now has lights?

It's fall sport media day.

Below is the press conference that included the head coach and 2 players for/ on the volleyball and soccer teams. The soccer portion is the 2nd one and starts at ~18:20 minutes, with Amaya Gonzalez and Jade Babcock-Chi being the student-athletes included.

scrimmage was interesting. with new lights they have new benches. To get the bad out of the way. jenny Beyer went off with a knee injury. Looked pretty serious and they took her to the hospital. The good news on that was she walked off the field under her own power and then when I was leaving she was walking unassisted with an ice pack on her knee to the car taking her to the hospital. Hope leyba is going to be a problem for teams. she is big, athletic and puts her nose into everything. She is the type of player that will draw fouls on the other team especially in the box. I liked Ava priest as well as she has good ball skills and nice instincts for the game. I thought all the goalies looked good at times. The first goal of the day came off a corner kick and imo should have been stopped but it was kind of a sloppy play. All in all, if Beyer is not hurt too bad a nice day

with new lights they have new benches.
The new lights look like they are positioned to cover not just the pitch but also the practice area that's right next to it. And the benches are very professional, like the new locker room.

Hope leyba is going to be a problem for teams. she is big, athletic and puts her nose into everything. She is the type of player that will draw fouls on the other team especially in the box. I liked Ava priest as well as she has good ball skills and nice instincts for the game. I thought all the goalies looked good at times.
Agree about both Hope Leyba and Ava Priest. I expect both will get a lot of playing time this season. It looks like Hope's twin, Faith may also see time on the back line and perhaps fellow freshman Kylah Celayeta as well.

Not playing today were Lawson Willis and Hannah Duguid due to injury. Both are potential starters.

Looks like the Buffs are going to use a 4-4-2 with diamond in the midfield.

Concerning the upgrades to Prentup, it appears with the new turf, lights, sideline seats for the players and locker room from the players' perspective things are ready for the season. For the fans, it seems they amenities are still a work in progress. New, bathrooms, etc., won't be ready by Thursday.

Looks like there will be a lot of competition for starting spots, this includes the goalies.

Hard to find less meaningful news based on past accuracy, but the Buffs were guessed to finish in a 3 way tie for 7th in the Pac 12 preseason coaches' poll.

Official Pac 12 release - https://pac-12.com/article/2023/08/...3-pac-12-womens-soccer-preseason-coaches-poll

The release also references the national coaches' preseason poll (also probably largely worthless), viewable at https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/rankings/college-rankings/ncaa-di-women/ . If it comes out close to accurate, it would indicate a relatively shallow Pac 12 in its (probable) last season, with "only" 3 conference schools in the Top 25. They are defending national champion UCLA at #1, Stanford at #11, and USC at #22.

Looks like an auction has begun (in front of tonight's Soccer Ball (benefit)) for those who want to support the program.

Back