What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023/24 SOCCER general off-season news thread (Scrimmage vs. N. Texas 8/10; official opener hosting Marquette 8/15)

Article from a couple days ago after the team started its formal preseason training - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/7/30/soccer-buffs-back-on-the-pitch-for-2024

"

Buffs Back on the Pitch for 2024​

Colorado held its first two official training sessions on Tuesday

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER —
Year 13 of the Danny Sanchez era officially got underway for Colorado Soccer on Tuesday. The Buffaloes held their first two official preseason training sessions, building up to the August 10 exhibition against North Texas.

The 2024 Buffs will look very familiar to the 2023 squad when they take to Prentup Field. CU returns nearly the exact same lineup that earned the program its 13th trip to the NCAA Tournament. Veteran players like Shyra James, Rachel Rosen, and Phoenix Dawn Miranda are back in the Black & Gold, along with 2023 newcomers Hope Leyba, Faith Leyba, and Ava Priest. Jordan Nytes, who recorded eight shutouts last season, solidifies CU's trio of goaltenders.

Colorado added transfers Sami Fisher (Florida), Laura Gouvin (Boston College), and Michaela Rosenbaum (UCLA) and freshmen Hannah Puff and Jace Holley. Fisher and Gouvin joined the team in the spring semester and, along with Holley, were able to accompany the team on its trip to London and Barcelona in May.

"We're excited with the group we have back," Sanchez expressed. "We're adding really just three new players in Holley, Rosenbaum and Puff. Obviously, Michaela's got great experience playing at UCLA and Jace was able to go on the foreign tour with us. We feel great about the returning players and how they prepared over the summer and returned ready to go. It was a great first day. The championships aren't won on the first day, but you have to start somewhere, and I thought today was great."

Since almost everyone on the team was able to make the foreign tour in May, Tuesday's training sessions didn't feel unfamiliar, which is typical on the opening day of practice.

"The foreign tour was great because it [today] didn't feel like it was the first team we were all together," Rosen noted. "It was a great start. We had a few new players, but for the most part, we all know each other. I think that camaraderie and familiarity was amazing from the summer."

2024 brings a change in conference for the Buffs, returning to the Big 12 after spending the last 13 seasons in the Pac-12. Colorado finished fourth in the Pac-12 last season with a 5-3-3 conference record and went 13-5-3 overall.

Colorado, the 2003 Big 12 Champions, will have an opportunity to compete in a conference tournament for the first time since leaving the for the Pac-12.

"I think part of the excitement for the season is going into a new conference with new teams and challenges," Sanchez added. "There are some really good teams in our league. Teams that have been in national championships and Final Fours in recent years. We understand that there are going to be new challenges, but I think sometimes change is good. The Pac-12 treated us well, but we couldn't be more excited to be in the Big 12. Colorado Soccer has won a Big 12 championship, and we're excited to compete this fall for another one."

Colorado will continue to train twice a week through Thursday before heading to the mountains for the team's annual retreat.

The Buffs will host its first exhibition match since the 2010 season, taking on North Texas in two weeks (Aug. 10). The team will open the season on Aug. 15, looking to avenge last season's early loss to Marquette. CU will close its opening weekend with a marquee matchup against North Carolina, which will be visiting Boulder for the first time since 1998.

"I think we have a great non-conference schedule that will prepare us well [for the Big 12]," Sanchez continued. North Texas is a very good team, so it'll be good preparation for opening weekend. Obviously, we didn't get the result we wanted last year against Marquette, so we're looking forward to that match. Then, obviously, North Carolina on Sunday will be a special day not only for our program but also for the Boulder soccer community.

"If I'm going to do a public service announcement, I'd say 'get your tickets early,' because that game will be sold out. We're excited. It's just right around the corner."

CU's first Big 12 match will be a Sept. 12 visit to Kansas State.

Tickets are on sale now at https://cubuffs.evenue.net/events/WS or at 303-492-8282.
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

And, a couple short videos covering the training so far -

Soccer practice has officially started with the team on their annual retreat where they train in the mountains for a few days. For the first time in 14 seasons they will have an exhibition game hosting North Texas on the 10th and then opening the non-conference portion of the schedule the following week hosting Marquette and North Carolina.

Perhaps the biggest news since the end of last season is who has decided to return for their fifth season; Shyra James and Racheal Rosen. Of course James’ return is huge as she is an experienced goal scorer having bagged 15 last season along with two assists. For her career she has 40 goals in 76 matches. Rosen is a talented left footer who will take some corners and hit crosses as well. In recent seasons she has played on the outside of the back line and at wingback toward the end of last season when CU went to a three player back line. She had five assists in 21 matches last season.

Speaking of players returning, there are a couple players coming back from injury that could be major contributors; Jenny Beyer and Hannah Duguid. Beyer missed all of last season with her second ACL tear when it appeared that she was going to be critical to the attack from the midfield. She is a creative attacking player who can score off free kicks. Duguid has shown the ability to take on defenders 1v1 successfully. Both are juniors in eligibility.

A trio of sophomores made an impact last season and look to be integral to the team’s success this fall. It’s difficult to know where to start so let’s go with Faith Leyba. She’s a rock solid, fit central defender who scored three times last season. At 5’10” she not only has height, but pace and is fierce. Her twin sister Hope plays up top with James. She runs at defenders with pace and gets into good positions. At this point she needs to refine her finishing to become a very dangerous forward. Ava Priest played a variety of roles last season before settling into a wingback role on the right side. She quickly developed into a very important component in the attack and led the team in assists with six last season and added two goals becoming the youngest goal scorer in program history at just over 17 years old. Whatever her role she will be one of the best players on the pitch.

There are lots of players that won’t get mentioned in this post which is in part due to the amount of depth this team has with field players, especially in the midfield and forward. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next two weeks with one outstanding question being will Danny Sanchez keep the three in the back formation he went with at the end of last season which improved both the defense and attack as one of the three was free to step up into the midfield at times.

There are only five newcomers on this team, two freshmen and three transfers. This is a really low number for this program and it’s been a while since the team won’t be relying on newcomers to make an immediate impact. Given her play during the early summer Euro trip it looks like Sami Fisher could make an impact right away. She comes in from Florida where she didn’t play last season and thus will have four years of eligibility.

Goalkeeping looks to be solid at the least with Jordan Nytes the starter surrendering 18 goals in 21 matches last season.

Congrats to Coach Sanchez!
(I'll post about Coach Mahoney in the vball thread.)

Now let's go win the Big 12!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/2/general-sanchez-mahoney-extended-through-2027

"

Sanchez, Mahoney Extended Through 2027​

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER —
Colorado Soccer head coach Danny Sanchez and Colorado Volleyball head coach Jesse Mahoney had their contracts extended through the 2027 season by Athletic Director Rick George on Friday.

The extensions come just as the two programs get the 2024 season underway. Soccer opened up training this past Tuesday, while volleyball will return to the court on Thursday, Aug. 8.

"I've been impressed with the trajectory of both our soccer and volleyball programs, and I commend both Danny and Jesse for their excellent leadership of our student-athletes," said George. "As we head back to the Big 12 Conference, I'm looking forward to both teams' continued success this fall and beyond."

Sanchez, the program's longest-tenured and all-time winningest coach, enters his 13th season at the helm in 2024. Since taking over the program in 2012, he's compiled a record of 133-81-34 (.605). Sanchez has coached the team to seven of its 13 NCAA Tournaments, with the last selection coming in 2023. Last season, he led the Buffs to a 13-5-3 record overall and a fourth-place finish in the Pac-12 (5-3-3). Sanchez guided the Buffs to the Sweet 16 in his second season in Boulder in 2013. He picked up his 100th win at CU with a 3-2 double overtime win over No. 14 USC on Mar. 15, 2021. Sanchez has 10 winning seasons and posted seven 10-win seasons, with his best mark of 15-6-1 coming in 2016. He has coached the likes of Second and Third Team All-American Taylor Kornieck (2018, 2019), Third Team All-American Shyra James (2023), CSC Academic All-Americans Hannah Sharts (First Team, 2020) and Civana Kuhlmann (Third Team, 2022). Danica Evans (2017), Erin Greening (2019), Kornieck (2020) and Kulhmann (2023) were all selected in the NWSL Draft under his tutelage.

"We feel so fortunate to be able to lead the soccer program here at Colorado," Sanchez expressed "I want to thank Rick George and our supervisor Tracy Tripp, for all their support and trust in us. Countless people behind the scenes do so much for our staff and student-athletes to be the most successful we can be. We couldn't be more excited about the move into the Big 12 and the future of our program".

Both coaches will lead their respective programs into the new era of the Big 12 Conference this season.

Soccer will open the season with an exhibition against North Texas on Aug. 10 before the regular season opener against Marquette on Aug. 15. Volleyball will host its Black and Gold scrimmage on Aug. 24 as a tune-up to its first match of the year at North Texas on Aug. 30.
"

With the Big 12 move completed, I'm starting to check the schedules of the fall sports teams and upon looking at the soccer schedule, there's no mention of how you would watch the game but I'm assuming it will be ESPN+. Any idea of how the media platform for games would be announced and how many days in advance? Same for other sports.

Soccer practice has officially started with the team on their annual retreat where they train in the mountains for a few days. For the first time in 14 seasons they will have an exhibition game hosting North Texas on the 10th and then opening the non-conference portion of the schedule the following week hosting Marquette and North Carolina.

Perhaps the biggest news since the end of last season is who has decided to return for their fifth season; Shyra James and Racheal Rosen. Of course James’ return is huge as she is an experienced goal scorer having bagged 15 last season along with two assists. For her career she has 40 goals in 76 matches. Rosen is a talented left footer who will take some corners and hit crosses as well. In recent seasons she has played on the outside of the back line and at wingback toward the end of last season when CU went to a three player back line. She had five assists in 21 matches last season.

Speaking of players returning, there are a couple players coming back from injury that could be major contributors; Jenny Beyer and Hannah Duguid. Beyer missed all of last season with her second ACL tear when it appeared that she was going to be critical to the attack from the midfield. She is a creative attacking player who can score off free kicks. Duguid has shown the ability to take on defenders 1v1 successfully. Both are juniors in eligibility.

A trio of sophomores made an impact last season and look to be integral to the team’s success this fall. It’s difficult to know where to start so let’s go with Faith Leyba. She’s a rock solid, fit central defender who scored three times last season. At 5’10” she not only has height, but pace and is fierce. Her twin sister Hope plays up top with James. She runs at defenders with pace and gets into good positions. At this point she needs to refine her finishing to become a very dangerous forward. Ava Priest played a variety of roles last season before settling into a wingback role on the right side. She quickly developed into a very important component in the attack and led the team in assists with six last season and added two goals becoming the youngest goal scorer in program history at just over 17 years old. Whatever her role she will be one of the best players on the pitch.

There are lots of players that won’t get mentioned in this post which is in part due to the amount of depth this team has with field players, especially in the midfield and forward. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out over the next two weeks with one outstanding question being will Danny Sanchez keep the three in the back formation he went with at the end of last season which improved both the defense and attack as one of the three was free to step up into the midfield at times.

There are only five newcomers on this team, two freshmen and three transfers. This is a really low number for this program and it’s been a while since the team won’t be relying on newcomers to make an immediate impact. Given her play during the early summer Euro trip it looks like Sami Fisher could make an impact right away. She comes in from Florida where she didn’t play last season and thus will have four years of eligibility.

Goalkeeping looks to be solid at the least with Jordan Nytes the starter surrendering 18 goals in 21 matches last season.
it is good to see Beyer back. I think the team really missed her last year

there's no mention of how you would watch the game but I'm assuming it will be ESPN+. Any idea of how the media platform for games would be announced and how many days in advance? Same for other sports.
Great point/question. I totally forgot about how the matches would be televised now that the Pac 12 Network is no longer in play. Hope that matches are easy to access.

Great point/question. I totally forgot about how the matches would be televised now that the Pac 12 Network is no longer in play. Hope that matches are easy to access.
probably going to be on ESPN + like many of the other big 12 stuff is

At least based on my (always suspect) memory, I don't think any sport other than football has typically offered live video of any pre-season scrimmages/ exhibition games. Great to see that it looks like soccer plans on showing Saturday night's against North Texas on Youtube.

A couple of thoughts/notes about the Buffs Big XII schedule now that the preseason poll is out.

CU was picked to finish fourth, but the conference title is decided by the conference tourney that is being played in Kansas City at Kansas City Current's (NWSL) stadium. The top 12 teams from the regular season advance to the tourney and I assume the top four get a first round bye.

Here is the full poll:
1.BYU (9)206
2.Texas Tech (6)205
3.TCU (1)197
4.Colorado174
5.Arizona State157
6.UCF151
7.West Virginia149
8.Oklahoma State145
9.Baylor100
10.Arizona94
Utah94
12.Cincinnati67
Kansas67
14.Houston61
15.Iowa State31
16.K-State
Concerning CU, they don't face BYU during the regular season. From the top eight in the poll CU is
@OSU, @TT, @WVU, with TCU, and USF coming to Boulder. They don't face ASU during the regular season. CU travels to face KSU to start the conference portion of the schedule and ends it at home v Utah.

I know its probably a pipe dream, but I really hope to see this team with James back, Lebya, and Priest, a little more ball control and not so much of the sit back on defense and give up a ton of shots to the better teams. Imo, I would like to see a little more aggressive and concerted effort on the offensive end

Pre-season media press conference just starting, with soccer's having just started -

It's 2-1 CU at the half:

The Buffs opened the scoring with a nice James pass getting Leyba wide open on the right side of the box and she shot it in through the goalie's legs from 10-15 yards out.

Halfway through the half the Buffs made a mass (~8 players?) substitution. A few minutes after that, N. Texas tied it up as their goalie took a long free kick which found one of her player's head in the box, and her pass found a player wide open in the left side of the box for an easy goal.

Then, newcomer Fisher got the lead back for the Buffs with a beautiful bending shot from the top right of the box that found the upper left side of the net.

CU hosted North Texas on Saturday night in their only exhibition match of the season on a cool night in Boulder. The final score of 4-3 Buffs perhaps was indicitvce of the short amount of time between the first practice of the season and ths match. Both sides had defensive gaffs that later in the season are less likely to happen.

UNT was the better side early looking confident on the ball breaking through medfield repeatedly and looking confident just above the box. Still, they weren’t able to get a goal.

Over time CU was able to get themselves some scoring opportunities leading up to Hope Leyba’s goal what came on a pass from Shyra James on a counter attack. UNT’s tied the game when a lofted ball bounced just over a couple of defenders putting Alexis Miller in on goal for UNT’s first.

CU’s second goal came on a wonderful take from newcomer Sami Fisher who was able to curl in a left footed take from outside the box and thus the Buffs had a 2-1 lead at the half. I should note that CU made a lot of substitutions at around the 30 minute mark and Fisher was one of them.

CU looked to be in good shape as the second half started but that wasn’t to last as a long shot on the ground from Claire Neidermeier somehow got past a touch from CU’s #2 keeper, Jamie Campbell. So the game was not only tied, but looked to go either way. That was until the UNT defense didn’t provide cover when Josie Master poked a ball behind the back line that she was able to run onto and score.

Given the way this game had gone it wasn’t even close to being over when UNT was able to earn a PK which they burried in thee 68th minute. The Buffs were able to find the winner in the 77th minute when Faith Leyba chipped the ball along the goal line and over the keepers head where it found Ava Priest.

CU played 22 players with all the newcomers getting in. The noteable player not making the pitch for the Buffs was junior Emerson Layne - not sure why didn’t play.
The formation CU deployed in possession was a 4-4-2 diamond with the starters being graduate transfer Michaela Rosenbaum in the holding role while Jenny Beyer was in the attacking CM spot. Ava Preist and Juliuana Hayward were wide. Up top were Shyra James and Hope Leyba. The back line left to right was Rachael Rosen, Faith Leyba, Greer Maguire and Laura Gouvin.

Next up is Marquette at home on Thursday night.

nice to see Hope score early on. It is also interesting the Lebya twins changed their numbers to 44 and 45.

Agree. She had trouble finishing last season and thus getting going quickly is likely to get her confident.
last year it seemed to be that she would get by the defender but had trouble with ball control and just not be able to finish. that looked better on that goal. I don't know how that rest of the game went but I think having her be a constant scoring threat along with James would be great for the team. Also nice ball by faith to put it in the box for the 4th goal. Don't know if it was luck or just skill but great play by her

On Saturday Sanchez started two newcomers, Laura Gouvin (Boston College) at right back Michaela Rosenbaum (UCLA) at the holding midfield role. Both are graduate students. Gouvin looked solid in both defending and in advancing the ball in the attack. Rosenbaum playing as the pivot looked calm on the ball and seemed to make good decisions with her distribution.

Two other newcomers also caught eye in this match; Jace Holley (Ft. Collins) and Sami Fisher (Florida) both have four years of eligibility. Holley played both ACM and up top. She is really confident running with the ball at her feet and looks to advance the ball quickly. CU recruited Fisher out of HS in Arizona before she chose Florida where she didn't play. On Saturday she hit a beautiful curling left footer for the second goal. The Buffs could use depth in the scoring so Fisher and Leyba scoring is good news.

CU sure wasn't in mid-season form on Saturday and the sum was less than the parts. Hopefully that match got them up to game speed with Marquette and UNC coming to town this week.

And speaking of the remaining schedule for soccer, every game except the NCSU game is on ESPN+ which apparently has been updated recently. The NCSU game will be on the ACC Network in that case.

Back