What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 NCAA Tourn. Thread-6 seed//20 ranked WOMEN'S Bball (Sweet 16 game in Seattle vs. 2 seed/ 3 ranked Iowa; Friday, Mar. 24th, 5:30 PM MT; ESPN)

Media after today's win.

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/18/womens-basketball-formann-shoots-buffs-into-second-round.aspx

"
Game Recap: Women's Basketball | March 18, 2023 | Curtis Snyder, Interim Associate AD/Athletic Communications

Formann Shoots Buffs Into Second Round

Program NCAA Record 13 3-Pointers Advances Buffs

DURHAM, N.C.—Junior FridaFormann scored 21 points and hit five 3-pointers as the hot-shooting Colorado Buffaloes looked impressive in dismantling Middle Tennessee State 82-60 Saturday evening in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Formann's five 3s are the second most in an NCAA Tournament game for the program, and as a team, the Buffs hit 13-of-27 from deep, setting a new CU season-high and NCAA Tournament record for the Buffs.

Seven different Buffs hit a 3-pointer in the game, with Tayanna Jones getting things started with back-to-back 3s in the start of a 12-0 run that opened up the game in the first quarter. Kindyll Wetta also had a pair of triples, including one at the halftime buzzer that ended another 9-0 run and gave the Buffs a 42-28 lead at the break. Jaylyn Sherrod, Quay Miller, Tameiya Sadler and Jada Wynn each hit a 3-poitner as well.

Sherrod finished with 13 points and six assists and Aaronette Vonleh finished with 11 points. Miller led the rebounding effort with eight as five Buffs had five-plus rebounds, helping Colorado win the rebounding battle 43-29. Wetta matched Sherrod's assist mark with six and Sadler added five assists as the Buffs finished with 21 assists on their 30 field goals.

Sadler and Wetta both had 5-5-5 games, Wetta with six points, six assists and five rebounds and Sadler with seven points, six rebounds and five assists.

CU will now wait to see who they will play in the second round with No. 3 seed and host Duke playing No. 14 seed Iona in the second round this evening.

KEY MOMENT
Two key moments were, starting when the Buffs were down 6-5, Jones hit 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions, the start of a 12-0 run, to unleash the Buffs' hot shooting for the entire game and open up a 17-6 lead. In the second quarter after MTSU cut the lead to 5 at 33-28, CU ended the half on a 9-0 run to take a 42-28 lead at the break. Wetta's steal with 18 seconds left and a 3-pointer at the buzzer gave the Buffs a commanding lead at the break.

NOTES
Colorado improves to 18-14 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 4-3 at a No. 6 seed in the Big Dance … It's the program's first NCAA Tournament win for JR Payne and first in 20 years since March 24, 2003, in the second round of that tournament against North Carolina … CU is now 24-8 on the season, the most wins since 25 in the 2012-13 season … The Buffs hit 13-of-27 from behind the arc, the most 3s made in a game this season and setting a new NCAA Tournament record for the program for both makes and attempts … The 13 3-pointers are tied for seventh most in CU history and are the most in over a decade since hitting 15 against Oklahoma State in a WNIT game on 3/25/12 … CU's 48.2 percentage from deep is the second-highest of the season since hitting 6-of-12 (.500) against New Mexico in the season opener ... CU's CU hit 6-of-9 from deep in the third quarter, matching the overall program record for most 3-pointers in a quarter set against Idaho State on 12/3/16 … The Buffs assisted on 21 of 30 made buckets ... The 21 assists are two off the season high of 23, and CU is now 8-0 this season with 20-plus assists … CU is also 7-0 this season when hitting 30-plus field goals ... CU was 9-of-10 (.900) from the free throw line, the second-best percentage of the season behind a 14-of-15 performance (.933) at Chicago State ... CU's six blocks tied the second-most of the season behind seven at Washington and matching six against Jackson State ... Formann was 5-of-8 from deep, one off the CU record for an NCAA Tournament game and matching her season best (also 5-of-8 against Arizona on 1/13/23), which is also CU's season best ... Formann now has 70 3-pointers this season, tied for seventh most in CU history along with Kate Fagan, who was in attendance tonight ... Formann is now 70-of-177 (.395) on the season, good for 17th in CU history for 35-plus makes but the percentage is fourth-best for players with 70-plus makes ... Formann was 4-of-4 from the line and is now 47-of-52 (.904) on the season, and if she can hit three more she will be just the second player to shoot 90 percent with 50-plus free throws in a season ... Vonleh was 4-of-7 from the field and is now 172-of-293 (.587) on the season, on pace for the eighth best shooting percentage in CU history and best since Jackie McFarland shot .605 in 2006-07 ... Miller's eight rebounds gives her 273 on the season, 16th most in CU history, and her 8.5 average ranks 14th ... Miller's 200 defensive rebounds are sixth most in CU history ... Sherrod's six assists gives her 155 on the season, eclipsing her total in 2019-20 and ranks eighth best in CU history ... Sherrod was credited with one steal, giving her 75 this season, good for a tie for 10th most in CU history.
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/3/18/NCAA_Box_1.pdf

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note- Looks like the Buffs will be facing a pretty well-rested Duke team on Monday, as Duke is cruising with a 65-28 lead late in the 3rd quarter. (Thankfully, the Buffs should also be relatively rested, as their leader in minutes today, Sherrod, only played 30.) Also, don't know if it's something they always do, but in the small amount I watched the Duke game, hope the Buffs are prepared to face and attack a full-court press, as Duke have been giving Iona all kinds of problems with that, as well as their half court defense.)

Last edited:
Duke did complete an easy win (89-49) over Iona, so will be the Buffs opponent on Monday.

Time and ESPN channel that will show the game to be announced later.

Duke did complete an easy win (89-49) over Iona, so will be the Buffs opponent on Monday.

Time and ESPN channel that will show the game to be announced later.

Actually, I now see that the Buff's schedule page shows a 7:00 PM MT start for Monday's game vs. Duke. (Still don't know the channel. Per the Watch ESPN schedule, 2 (yet to be named) games are scheduled for that time slot, one to be on ESPN and one on ESPNU.)

Last edited:
Oh- also, two notes:

1- sat behind Tayana Jones’ family- she had a really good game but she was clearly a little banged up by the end of the game.

2-Phil D and Rick George were there. Phil ate **** on the court during warmups. Seems to be ok.

Oh- also, two notes:

1- sat behind Tayana Jones’ family- she had a really good game but she was clearly a little banged up by the end of the game.

2-Phil D and Rick George were there. Phil ate **** on the court during warmups. Seems to be ok.
Phil ate **** during the pregame? In public? That's disgusting. In my day, there would just be a shoot-around, pep band, maybe some cheerleaders. Phil, if you think ingesting waste during the pregame is going to get the kids fired up about the game, it's time to retire.

Stanford and Arizona got sent home last night. Utah is on to the Sweet Sixteen. I will be cheering for both our Buffs and UCLA to get to the next round.

I know Duke will be tough but I also believe that this team with this coaching staff can win this game. Go Buffs.

I really want to see CU play Iowa in the Sweet Sixteen.

Stanford and Arizona got sent home last night. Utah is on to the Sweet Sixteen. I will be cheering for both our Buffs and UCLA to get to the next round.

I know Duke will be tough but I also believe that this team with this coaching staff can win this game. Go Buffs.

I really want to see CU play Iowa in the Sweet Sixteen.
If CU plays like they did on Saturday, they'll be really tough to beat.

How the hell does a 3 seed get a home game?

The women's tourney always give the 1-4 seeds (who to be fair are the highest seeds of those sub-regions) of each region hosting duties in the 1st 2 rounds.

I don't know of any NCAA sport that has tourneys like this, other than men's basketball, that handles tournaments any other way. I believe, In women's volleyball and soccer, the top seeds that survive of each sub-region or region are guarenteed to host all the way through the Elite 8 matches. At least women's basketball now has the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games in (2) predermined locations, although one of those locations this year happens to be pretty close to the home of the HEAVY favorite, South Carolina, of winning it all. (If the Buffs win today, they'll head to Seattle for their Sweet 16 game.)

Back