What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Pac 12 Tourney thread- #3 seed WOMEN'S bball (Las Vegas; 2nd CU game vs. #7 seed WSU, Friday, 3/3, 9:30 PM MT, Pac 12 Network)

After yesterday's games, CU is up to #20 in the NET rankings (from #21). Tonight's opponent WSU moved from #38 to #34 after their big win.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Media after yesterday's win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/3/w...e-of-business-to-start-pac-12-tournament.aspx

"
LAS VEGAS – Third-seeded Colorado defeated No. 11 Oregon State 62-54 in the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 Tournament late Thursday night to advance to the Pac-12 semifinals for the second consecutive season.

CU overcame a nine-point deficit against the No. 11 Beavers to improve to 9-11 all-time in the Pac-12 Tournament. Thursday was the largest comeback for the Buffs in a Pac-12 Tournament game. The win was Colorado's 23rd of the season, marking the most since going 25-7 in the 2012-13 season.

The Buffaloes struggled early on in the game and found themselves in a tough spot as OSU shot lights out from 3-point range, making 6-of-9 in the first half. Colorado was able to produce enough in the second quarter to tie the game 33-33 at halftime before exploding both offensively and defensively in the third.

"That was not the prettiest game we've ever been a part of, but I think what we all witnessed was two teams that are just going to fight and scrap and do everything they can to win the game," head coach JR Payne stated. "I was just telling these guys in the hallway, really proud of how we never lost our cool. We kept our composure through Oregon State's hot shooting, through some cold spells for us offensively and we just never really got too flustered. I love that about this team. So really proud of being able to win and keep going."

After giving up 20 points in the first quarter, Colorado's defense allowed just 21 total points in the entire second half. The third quarter was crucial for CU as the Buffs outscored the Beavers 18-8 in the quarter. Jaylyn Sherrod was the catalyst on defense, especially in the second half.

"We really take a lot of pride in our defense. I don't know that we were particularly great today defensively, but we typically take a lot of pride in our defense," Payne emphasized. "We believe that every single player on our team can guard. I don't know that it was one person that made a difference. But Jaylyn certainly can be disruptive on the basketball."

Oregon State shot better than Colorado, statistically, from the field, 3-point range and the free-throw line, however, turnovers killed the Beavers on the night. OSU committed 17 turnovers which turned into 18 points for CU on the other end of the floor.

The Buffaloes' offense was led by Frida Formann, Aaronette Vonleh, and Sherrod as they all scored double-digit points. Sherrod totaled seven rebounds, two assists and two steals, adding to her 12 points while Formann led all players in scoring with 16 points. Vonleh closed right behind Formann with 15 points.

Colorado will take on No. 7 Washington State in the Pac-12 semifinals on Friday at 9:30 p.m. MT. The Cougars upset No. 2 Utah today after beating No. 10 Cal in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament.

"We truly believe that any team in this league can beat any team in this league. And that's saying something when you have typically five or six top-25 teams," said Payne. "I think you can play a team that's going to be unbelievably athletic on a Friday night and the next day maybe not as athletic but so skilled in scheme X and O so well that it challenges you as a player to be able to make those types of adjustments. It challenges you as a coach. But I think without a doubt it's the best women's basketball conference in the country."

Key Moment
Kindyll Wetta
came up with a momentum-shifting steal in the third quarter that led to a wide-open 3-pointer from Sherrod to put the Buffs up 47-39. It was a part of CU's 15-2 run that took the Buffs from down 37-36 to a 51-39 lead over four and half minutes...CU outscored OSU 10-0 in fastbreak points...Colorado's seven turnovers were its fewest in 20 Pac-12 Tournament games.

Notes
Friday will be CU's fourth appearance in the Pac-12 semifinals (2013, 2015, 2022)...CU is 2-0 all-time against OSU in the Pac-12 Tournament...CU now has three Pac-12 Tournament wins in the last two seasons (had just one in from 2016-21)...CU's seven turnovers were the fewest by the Buffs in 20 Pac-12 games...The Buffs outscored OSU 10-0 on the fastbreak and 18-4 off turnovers...Thursday was Vonleh's 21st game in double figures...Formann's 16 points tied her career-best in the Pac-12 Tournament.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2022-23/oregon-state/boxscore/16319

After yesterday's games, CU is up to #20 in the NET rankings (from #21). Tonight's opponent WSU moved from #38 to #34 after their big win.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Media after yesterday's win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/3/w...e-of-business-to-start-pac-12-tournament.aspx

"
LAS VEGAS – Third-seeded Colorado defeated No. 11 Oregon State 62-54 in the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 Tournament late Thursday night to advance to the Pac-12 semifinals for the second consecutive season.

CU overcame a nine-point deficit against the No. 11 Beavers to improve to 9-11 all-time in the Pac-12 Tournament. Thursday was the largest comeback for the Buffs in a Pac-12 Tournament game. The win was Colorado's 23rd of the season, marking the most since going 25-7 in the 2012-13 season.

The Buffaloes struggled early on in the game and found themselves in a tough spot as OSU shot lights out from 3-point range, making 6-of-9 in the first half. Colorado was able to produce enough in the second quarter to tie the game 33-33 at halftime before exploding both offensively and defensively in the third.

"That was not the prettiest game we've ever been a part of, but I think what we all witnessed was two teams that are just going to fight and scrap and do everything they can to win the game," head coach JR Payne stated. "I was just telling these guys in the hallway, really proud of how we never lost our cool. We kept our composure through Oregon State's hot shooting, through some cold spells for us offensively and we just never really got too flustered. I love that about this team. So really proud of being able to win and keep going."

After giving up 20 points in the first quarter, Colorado's defense allowed just 21 total points in the entire second half. The third quarter was crucial for CU as the Buffs outscored the Beavers 18-8 in the quarter. Jaylyn Sherrod was the catalyst on defense, especially in the second half.

"We really take a lot of pride in our defense. I don't know that we were particularly great today defensively, but we typically take a lot of pride in our defense," Payne emphasized. "We believe that every single player on our team can guard. I don't know that it was one person that made a difference. But Jaylyn certainly can be disruptive on the basketball."

Oregon State shot better than Colorado, statistically, from the field, 3-point range and the free-throw line, however, turnovers killed the Beavers on the night. OSU committed 17 turnovers which turned into 18 points for CU on the other end of the floor.

The Buffaloes' offense was led by Frida Formann, Aaronette Vonleh, and Sherrod as they all scored double-digit points. Sherrod totaled seven rebounds, two assists and two steals, adding to her 12 points while Formann led all players in scoring with 16 points. Vonleh closed right behind Formann with 15 points.

Colorado will take on No. 7 Washington State in the Pac-12 semifinals on Friday at 9:30 p.m. MT. The Cougars upset No. 2 Utah today after beating No. 10 Cal in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament.

"We truly believe that any team in this league can beat any team in this league. And that's saying something when you have typically five or six top-25 teams," said Payne. "I think you can play a team that's going to be unbelievably athletic on a Friday night and the next day maybe not as athletic but so skilled in scheme X and O so well that it challenges you as a player to be able to make those types of adjustments. It challenges you as a coach. But I think without a doubt it's the best women's basketball conference in the country."

Key Moment
Kindyll Wetta
came up with a momentum-shifting steal in the third quarter that led to a wide-open 3-pointer from Sherrod to put the Buffs up 47-39. It was a part of CU's 15-2 run that took the Buffs from down 37-36 to a 51-39 lead over four and half minutes...CU outscored OSU 10-0 in fastbreak points...Colorado's seven turnovers were its fewest in 20 Pac-12 Tournament games.

Notes
Friday will be CU's fourth appearance in the Pac-12 semifinals (2013, 2015, 2022)...CU is 2-0 all-time against OSU in the Pac-12 Tournament...CU now has three Pac-12 Tournament wins in the last two seasons (had just one in from 2016-21)...CU's seven turnovers were the fewest by the Buffs in 20 Pac-12 games...The Buffs outscored OSU 10-0 on the fastbreak and 18-4 off turnovers...Thursday was Vonleh's 21st game in double figures...Formann's 16 points tied her career-best in the Pac-12 Tournament.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2022-23/oregon-state/boxscore/16319

Great group picture. They couldn't want it more.
Go Buffs!

Watched this game this morning - Buffs overcame OSU's first half 3-point shooting (6, IIRC) with tenacious defense in the 3rd quarter combined with transition baskets to open up a lead that they were able to hold on to down the stretch. Jaylyn Sherrod used her speed to blow past OSU players in the open court and get to the basket and then set the tone on D during that quarter. Kindyll Wetta was also a pest on the ball while Aaronette Vonleh and Quay Miller did a fantastic job of limiting OSU's "bigs."

In the first half OSU was getting open and making treys (6-9). Interestingly, CU was able to tie to score at the half in large part due to three point shooting with Formann and Jones chipping in.

The third quarter truly was where CU won the game by putting a lot of pressure on OSU's backcourt and continuing to limit their bigs. This combined with Sherrod pushing the tempo led to CU outscoring OSU 18-8.

With Quay Miller again struggling with her shot (0-9!) Vonleh did a tremendous job in the low post where she was at a height disadvantage, but used here strength and guile to score a total of 15 points on 6-10 shooting. And Frida continues to show she can score at 3 levels which makes a difference when the opposition continues to take away open looks from 3 point range.

Nice job by the Buffs of committing only 7 turnovers to OSU's 17, that too made a big difference.

Washington State tonight will be a challenge. Lower seeded teams with momentum can play with little pressure and a lot of intensity.

Last thought, I would love to see Kindyll Wetta reecruit OSU's Reagan Beers to Boulder. She and Beers both went to Valor Christian and Beers looks like Beers will develop into a first team all-conference caliber player.

Another upset as #1 seed Stanford can't hold a 14 point lead with around 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and #5 seed UCLA ends up winning 69-65.
I know UCLA is a really tough team but I’m so glad we aren’t going to face Stanford in the finals if/WHEN we win tonight.

Do you all think we can beat UCLA in the championship game?

Last edited:
I know UCLA is a really tough team but I’m so glad we aren’t going to face Stanford in the finals if/WHEN we win tonight.

Do you all think we can beat UCLA in the championship game?

I think at this point all the teams are so tough. For example, in the last weekend of the regular season the Buffs opponents tonight, WSU, beat UCLA in Westwood by 7.

Due to the prior game, this one started late. The Buffs are down early 2-5.

Regular starting lineup.

Wow- repeat of yesterday. Poor performance. WSU looks like they belong in this game but the Buffs look like they’re not talented enough to compete at this level tonight. Our Buffs are so much better than this. Time to step it up.

Quay Miller is really struggling, and it's more of mental thing. We need her to get out of this slump of we want to do anything in the national

Ouch. Time to reset and shake off the 1st half now.

This team deserves a shot at the championship. Let’s have a 3rd Q like yesterday and we will be right back in this.

Well this sucks.
Was a fun season. This one is on the head coach and assistants in my opinion. I mean that in a positive way even though it sounds critical. We expected more and they didn’t deliver. It’s not their fault that players don’t make shots but… Why is this team so bad at free throws? Why the massive scoring droughts? Lots of work for the coaching staff this off-season to step it up.

This game might cost us the 4th seed.
I love this team but they are not going to be seen as a #4 seed. They do best as an underdog. They don’t have that fire (yet) that Ceal Barry’s teams had where the buffs expected to win and acted like it. I think it will come as they grow more. Being the favorite is a new role. Excited to see this team next year and the next step is to turn the corner and believe that they are a winning team…. Because they CAN compete with the best.

Watching the game, the same issues on offense I've been worried about once gain surfaced - lack of ability to score consistently in the half court which was exacerbated by Quay Miller's continuing struggles shooting the ball (0-7 in this game).

With Miller struggling and Frida Formann not always able to get free, the half court game came down to getting the ball into Aaronettee Vonleh down low where she was deadly (9-11 from the floor).

A disappointing outcome, but I am not surprised.

This was the worst game I have seen CU play this season. It has not been usual for both the offense and defense to fail in the same game.

CU will not be hosting in the Dance, but it doesn't mean they can't win games in the Dance.

The charge in the 3rd quarter came when they went to 4 guards and Nettie. That got them back to the tie at the end of the 3rd quhad arter, but was not sustainable. Frida said they hadn't practiced that 4 guard one post offense and it was not comfortable because they didn't know where their teammates were supposed to be.

Nettie had great game and tournament and is to be commended for her performance.

Back