What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 DC SF Quincy Allen (SIGNED to COLORADO)

I agree, but let’s not compare a coach who has been here for 10+ years and who has established his recruiting pipelines with a guy who just started six months ago and hasn’t recruited a kid in several years.

Fair point. But aren’t we over making excuses for the football program? He told us all on a conference call he was going to do it and do it well so that’s what I’m expecting. I don’t understand the goal post moving; year 1, year 2, COVID. Tangible results, it’s doable.

Fair point. But aren’t we over making excuses for the football program? He told us all on a conference call he was going to do it and do it well so that’s what I’m expecting. I don’t understand the goal post moving; year 1, year 2, COVID. Tangible results, it’s doable.
I’m making no excuses for the football program. Nor am I moving any goalposts.

I’m making no excuses for the football program. Nor am I moving any goalposts.

I agree, but let’s not compare a coach who has been here for 10+ years and who has established his recruiting pipelines with a guy who just started six months ago and hasn’t recruited a kid in several years.

giphy.gif

What do the current recruits have to do with a Tad pipeline?

Not from Colorado or, as far as I remember, coming from an AAU we've ever landed a prospect from. So what is this pipeline?

giphy.gif

did you miss the part where I said “I agree”?

Tad is pulling in top 50 recruits now. Nobody is calling for KD to do the same in year one. Or, are you?

Tad is pulling in top 50 recruits now. Nobody is calling for KD to do the same in year one. Or, are you?
Tad's got a winning program that, I believe, has had every starter get paid to play professionally along with some significant NBA jobs. That gives him his leg up over a new football coach -- if that coach isn't someone who had his own pull rather than someone so out-of-mind that CU fans didn't even consider him after Hawkins when the pressure was on to hire a Buff of color. The problem isn't the newness of the football coach. The problem is that this coach has been out of the public eye so long that he has to re-establish himself before any recruit knows who he is.

You’re kind of all over the place. You agree and you’re not making excuses or moving goalposts. Yet, you’re not expecting high level recruiting in year 1 and you can’t compare him to someone else because pipelines.

I’m not picking on you, I’m just making a point of the mentality I see a lot.

If KD said himself he can recruit at an elite level, my question to you is simply this...

When? If not now, is that not handing him a handicap?

To answer your question, yes and no. The cynic in me says there’s absolutely no way he would recruit that way in year 1 due to COVID, year 1 and how late he was hired. But, he said he can do it and so therefore if you let him off the hook you’re allowing excuses to be made for the performance he promised. I’m not sharpening a pitch fork over here, just playing devils advocate.

I think my point has been missed here. You can simultaneously hold KD accountable while acknowledging he isn’t in the same place as Tad is in terms of program building.

why is this all happening in the thread for Quincy Allen? I just wanna be hyped for a top 50 shooter and scorer.

What is his comp or play style? Is he a pure bucket getter type guy?
It’s happening because people like to argue.

I’m thrilled Allen is coming to CU. Great, great pickup by Tad. Can’t wait to see the kid play. CU hoops will be very good for the next several years.

What do the current recruits have to do with a Tad pipeline?

Not from Colorado or, as far as I remember, coming from an AAU we've ever landed a prospect from. So what is this pipeline?
High school?

My guy Adam Chalifoux did a great job breaking down his game. Must read for those into hoops.

One interesting observation by Chalifoux in here is how having Lovering will give Allen more space offensively. And he lists Lovering at 7-2, don't know if that's correct of not.

Hope that Tad & Co can leverage these two commitments to continue the momentum on the recruiting front.

High school?
One of the things that makes college basketball coaches a little sad is that they don't know any HS coaches any more. They don't recruit high schools.

Something under appreciated about Tad is that he has actually reached out & gotten to know a good number of the HS coaches in CO. But that's mostly about building a basketball culture and community in the state.

I see a sea of cool aid but i’m Not diving in until November signing day.

Tad historically does a great job of retaining commitments once he get's them. Actually I can't remember if we've had a recruit decommit once they've committed under Tad.

One interesting observation by Chalifoux in here is how having Lovering will give Allen more space offensively. And he lists Lovering at 7-2, don't know if that's correct of not.

Hope that Tad & Co can leverage these two commitments to continue the momentum on the recruiting front.
The latest from the Lovering camp is he is up to 7-foot-2, not sure if that's with or without shoes but Chalifoux did not make that number up.

Tad historically does a great job of retaining commitments once he get's them. Actually I can't remember if we've had a recruit decommit once they've committed under Tad.

That, and player decommiting is not as common in CBB as it is in CFB.

Fun article and nice find. A few notes - I'm surprised that Winston ended up in the RSCI rankings top 50. I just looked up my Sporting News yearbook for his years, and going into his senior season, he was just outside of top 50, and not in top 50 after. They used a similar compilation of various scouts like Coleman, Oettinger, etc., and I think RSCI used five different sources, some shared with tSN. Also, while we didn't sign him out of HS, Martice Moore (RIP) was an McD AA. And I think the RR article should have mentioned that Patton has deep ties to TN, and he signed David's older brother. I don't think we get David without DJ. Lastly, I don't know how serious Q Richardson was about CU (I think his final 2 was KU and DePaul), but I remember reading blurbs about Q Richardson visiting CU campus and RP going after him. Not that we were close, but Q Richardson would have been our highest ranked recruit if he had come here.

Back