What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'21 TNFR OT Max Wray (Verbal to COLORADO)

That is not what he said. He said Filip has been really good at LT. Wiley has been good in the run game, just need to work on his pass protection a little bit. Like every young player, young players, have something to work on. He didn't say Wiley had a ways to go.
I'll say it then - Wiley has a ways to go.

I said we have talent. But the talent is young. Also lots of injuries. Need depth. While you are basically saying the tackles are awful. Will never be good enough Need to go out and get starters. Senn and Wiley are both talented enough to start at RT. Filip can start at LT. The problem is depth.
Do we though? Ask yourself, would either of these two supplant someone at that position on any other team in the conference?

Do we though? Ask yourself, would either of these two supplant someone at that position on any other team in the conference?
Young talent have things to work on. It usually takes 2 to 3 years for most High school OL to be physically ready to play in College. Solder was a 250 pound TE out of high school. He needed time to develop.

It’s all well and good that we were able to find guys like Solder and Bakhtiari who were tiny HS Olinemen or converted TEs and eventually developed into really good NFL players, but this program needs guys who can contribute the duration of their college career. NFL success, while nice, doesn’t really help CU all that much.

I think this program would be stronger if we had more Ryan Millers and fewer Bahktiaris. This is not meant as a knock on Bahk, just think someone like Ryan Miller who arrived to CU ready to play early was a more productive college player for CU.

It’s all well and good that we were able to find guys like Solder and Bakhtiari who were tiny HS Olinemen or converted TEs and eventually developed into really good NFL players, but this program needs guys who can contribute the duration of their college career. NFL success, while nice, doesn’t really help CU all that much.

I think this program would be stronger if we had more Ryan Millers and fewer Bahktiaris. This is no a knock on Bahk, just think someone like Ryan Miller who arrived to CU ready to play early was a more productive college player for CU.
For every Bak or Solder how many guys did we have occupy one of our limited number of scholarships and never make a significant contribution?

I love seeing the undersized try hard guys succeed, as PWOs.

Use the scholarships for guys who don't need to transform to become contributors.

For every Bak or Solder how many guys did we have occupy one of our limited number of scholarships and never make a significant contribution?

I love seeing the undersized try hard guys succeed, as PWOs.

Use the scholarships for guys who don't need to transform to become contributors.
A lot of it has to do with the staff - if we had someone like Kap coaching the OL and brought in some athletic projects, I’d feel more confident. But with Adams or Rod I don’t want to take that gamble and would rather see guys physically ready to play.

I think this program would be stronger if we had more Ryan Millers and fewer Bahktiaris. This is not meant as a knock on Bahk, just think someone like Ryan Miller who arrived to CU ready to play early was a more productive college player for CU.
Lol this is what I tried explaining to bb2 a week or so ago when the “elite TE speed” became a punchline. Dude likes comparing incoming freshman to NFL players

Lol this is what I tried explaining to bb2 a week or so ago when the “elite TE speed” became a punchline. Dude likes comparing incoming freshman to NFL players
I just get tired of seeing Solder and Bakhtiari brought up as these great success stories almost as if to suggest that recruiting 250# guys or oversized TEs is an effective long-term recruiting strategy just because it worked out twice.

Give me more Tim Lynott type players all day long. Not an NFL talent but a solid contributor and above average (when healthy) player in this conference.

I just get tired of seeing Solder and Bakhtiari brought up as these great success stories almost as if to suggest that recruiting 250# guys or oversized TEs is an effective long-term recruiting strategy just because it worked out twice.

Give me more Tim Lynott type players all day long. Not an NFL talent but a solid contributor and above average (when healthy) player in this conference.
Yeah, for every Bakhtiari and Solder that have come through this program, how many guys were there who didn't physically develop and ultimately never really contributed much? What's the ratio, like 10/1?

Yeah, for every Bakhtiari and Solder that have come through this program, how many guys were there who didn't physically develop and ultimately never really contributed much? What's the ratio, like 10/1?
I highly recommend (or maybe I don't) perusing the roster starting about 2008 and look at the OL we've had come through here. OLine U we ain't.

You can point to guys like Bahktiari and Solder as examples of guys who were exceptions to the rule. But there’s a reason that rule is there in the first place. In other words, it’s perfectly fine to take a kid like that in every class. It’s not perfectly fine to fill your class with those players.

Young talent have things to work on. It usually takes 2 to 3 years for most High school OL to be physically ready to play in College. Solder was a 250 pound TE out of high school. He needed time to develop.
It's going to be interesting how the transfer portal changes this thought over the years. There are going to be a lot of players who are no longer D1 players because of this change on all ends of the spectrum.

Can’t complain about this staff on the transfer market, just got to do better with recruiting HS players.
You are right but this buys us some time.

Major addition in an area of significant need.

Probably already posted but how many years does he have left. Three would be great.

Flip Trick GIF

Back