What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 NE ATH Malachi Coleman (Signed to Nebraska)

I want this kid bad. Sounds like a really interesting kid. Dad died when he was young. Mom abandoned him and his little sister when the kids were 5 and 2. Bounced around in foster care, then the Coleman's adopted them in 2015. Malachi and his sister, Nevaeh, were at risk of being separated.
To add, so when Malachi said in that that Cosgrove interview that relationships and trust are a big deal to him, I'm sure he sincerely meant that.

Then the key word for you is "act." At least act like you have been there.
Act As If
44cb15bd-6f16-4985-8690-2d1e016d49f1_text.gif

I always think about how insane he would have been if the modern spread RPO type offense had been around in 92-94.
Go back and watch the 1992 games before he got hurt, when we were running the one-back that UW and Miami ran. Especially the Baylor game. They were a good defensive team and we smoked them on the road.

incidentally, if any of you havent seen that the cu football youtube account put a boatload of old tv broadcasts and game film on there, check it out. Gold mine for nerds.

Go back and watch the 1992 games before he got hurt, when we were running the one-back that UW and Miami ran. Especially the Baylor game. They were a good defensive team and we smoked them on the road.

incidentally, if any of you havent seen that the cu football youtube account put a boatload of old tv broadcasts and game film on there, check it out. Gold mine for nerds.

Our teams in that era had HUGE shoulder pads. Everyone looks just massive.

1:07:55 !!

The voice of Dave Logan

I always think about how insane he would have been if the modern spread RPO type offense had been around in 92-94.
Re the Fiesta Bowl against ND. I believe Kordell ran for more yards than Rashaan; and the ND defenders—afterwards—were saying they had no idea he was that fast.

From the ND media after the game:

“But the hurricane of quarterback Kordell Stewart could not be stopped. No one told Notre Dame he was this good. Stewart would run 39 yards on an option then connect deep on the next play with Kidd or Westbrook.

With four minutes left in the half, Colorado had 200 yards more offense than Notre Dame, and Stewart already had over 100 yards rushing and over 100 yards passing.” (30-10 at the half.)

Maybe “slash” introduced the first thoughts of the RPO to the NFL

Last edited:
I always think about how insane he would have been if we had stuck with the I-Bone offense he was recruited for. Mac was right about the need to evolve, but the radical change was premature. Could have just added more play action passing. (And we would have gotten Tommy Frazier.)

Last edited:
Re the Fiesta Bowl against ND. I believe Kordell ran for more yards than Rashaan; and the ND defenders—afterwards—were saying they had no idea he was that fast.

“But the hurricane of quarterback Kordell Stewart could not be stopped. No one told Notre Dame he was this good. Stewart would run 39 yards on an option then connect deep on the next play with Kidd or Westbrook.

With four minutes left in the half, Colorado had 200 yards more offense than Notre Dame, and Stewart already had over 100 yards rushing and over 100 yards passing.” (30-10 at the half.)

as rick had been named head coach, mac let rick install the offense for the fiesta bowl. He ran 11 personnel and opened things up considerably from uzelac’s approach.

Nobody knew what to do with a QB who could do the things Kordell could do, nobody had had to deal with it before.

Think about if Kordell was coming along now but the coaches had film of guys like Mahomes and Allen to use in deciding how to use him.

Also remember that CU had a coaching staff that was most familiar with option offenses, throwing the ball was looked at as something you did off the running game.

It would have made a huge difference for Kordell, the Buffs, and Kordell's future NFL teams (probably would have moved him higher in the draft) had CU hired a QB coach who was able to coach Kordell in the finer points of advanced passing games, teach him multiple reads, teach him how to manipulate defenses, etc.

Nobody knew what to do with a QB who could do the things Kordell could do, nobody had had to deal with it before.

Think about if Kordell was coming along now but the coaches had film of guys like Mahomes and Allen to use in deciding how to use him.

Also remember that CU had a coaching staff that was most familiar with option offenses, throwing the ball was looked at as something you did off the running game.

It would have made a huge difference for Kordell, the Buffs, and Kordell's future NFL teams (probably would have moved him higher in the draft) had CU hired a QB coach who was able to coach Kordell in the finer points of advanced passing games, teach him multiple reads, teach him how to manipulate defenses, etc.
They did. Rick Neuheisel was the qb coach in 94. Unfortunately, the offense we ran in 94 was breathtakingly basic, and any suggestion that we add some wrinkles was rebuffed by Uzelac.

They did. Rick Neuheisel was the qb coach in 94. Unfortunately, the offense we ran in 94 was breathtakingly basic, and any suggestion that we add some wrinkles was rebuffed by Uzelac.
Having played QB you would think that Neu would have been good for that but I have never been impressed with him as a developer of QBs and as you said they weren't willing to step outside of the very limited design that they (Uzelac) were comfortable able with.

Having played QB you would think that Neu would have been good for that but I have never been impressed with him as a developer of QBs and as you said they weren't willing to step outside of the very limited design that they (Uzelac) were comfortable able with.
Thats not a bad point, but uzelac was so limited in what he was willing to let kordell do its moot.

again, its just one game, but kordell running neuheisel’s stuff in the fiesta bowl looked like the kordell in 92 before the injury.

watching the 94 nebraska game again is so painful. If we had opened things up and added just a couple of wrinkles we could have torched their secondary.

Back