What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A Gator, an Auburn Tiger, and a first time in Boulder (Ariz @ CU)

I was actually wondering about that -- how much influence New Mexico had on Colorado cuisine. The hatch stuff has certainly invaded Texas as well (and is very much welcomed). I think August (?) is when most of the restaurants and super markets around here go hatch-crazy. I can't bring myself to throw it into everything (chocolate hatch cupcakes, etc.), but as a compliment to virtually any meat dish, or of course in anything remotely resembling Mexican food, absolutely!
Green chili was invented in New Mexico.

It was perfected in Colorado.

Green chili was invented in New Mexico.

It was perfected in Colorado.

Sorry, but this is easily the dumbest thing I've read on Allbuffs. Especially because you can't even spell chile right. Look I like Colorado green chile, but I go to New Mexico every fall to get real green chile.

Also, **** anyone that tells you not to wear your team's gear @thehakujin. Hope you enjoy your weekend here!

Sorry, but this is easily the dumbest thing I've read on Allbuffs. Especially because you can't even spell chile right. Look I like Colorado green chile, but I go to New Mexico every fall to get real green chile.

Also, **** anyone that tells you not to wear your team's gear @thehakujin. Hope you enjoy your weekend here!
The best green chile in the world is at rancho de chimayo north east of Santa Fe

I generally find it extremely weird to wear apparel of a team that isn't playing to a game unless it's the pro jersey of a former star player. So how about Gator dude getting himself some nice Tebow Broncos jersey?

I thought a while about how I should spell chile, decided to turn up the troll level.

Worked well :cool:

Santo does a real New Mexico green chile in Boulder. Hosea specializes in northern NM food. SIAP.

What do you think about In n out?

We have it here in Dallas, now. I've only been the one time. It's fine, didn't blow my parts off, despite the hype.
Mind you, that's not slanderous commentary or distaste... but it's clearly not high praise, either.

Hatch is a seasonal deal in Dallas. It’s a 365 deal in Denver.

My go to Green Chile fix
Real de Minas - 12244 E 44th. It’s between the Airport and wherever I’m heading. My preferred first meal after setting foot in Colorado.

Santiago’s - greasy spoon fast food chain that is cheap, fast, and dependable.

F8D1155C-AB49-41DE-9B74-74859B8DC4A1.jpeg

Best hatch green chile in the state is a tougher question. That’s like asking a New Yorker about the best slice of pizza.

In Dallas - Costco sells jars of 505 brand. It’s the only reliable year around source not called Amazon.Com

My go to Green Chile fix
Real de Minas - 12244 E 44th. It’s between the Airport and wherever I’m heading. My preferred first meal after setting foot in Colorado.

Best hatch green chile in the state is a tougher question. That’s like asking a New Yorker about the best slice of pizza.

In Dallas - Costco sells jars of 505 brand. It’s the only reliable year around source not called Amazon.Com

I feel like we're really getting off topic here, but if you're looking for a New Mexican fix - Little Anita's on Colorado or a pepperoni & green chile pizza from Dion's (one in commerce city and one basically in parker). Or Patzcuaro's on 32nd sits somewhere between New Mexican & traditional Mexican.

@thehakujin sounds like your friends probably have restaurants locked down, but if you are looking for more broad suggestions around Denver here are a few: FnG is great and relatively cheap and there are some bars to drop into on 32nd. Root Down is a Denver staple and then you are right in the Highlands. Brazen near Tennyson is good and you are walking distance to 4 breweries and handful of bars. Bacon Social House on 44th has a good brunch menu but it gets super busy. The Grateful Gnome has good sandwiches (breakfast and lunch) and they brew their own beer.

My go to Green Chile fix

View attachment 31469

And the 505 brand is ****. It will scratch the itch but doesn't come close to a legit bowl with some warm homemade tortillas.

And the 505 brand is ****. It will scratch the itch but doesn't come close to a legit bowl with some warm homemade tortillas.

Palabra.

I have yet to find a pork green chile smothered burrito in DFW.

Green sauce in Dallas is tomatillo

I feel like we're really getting off topic here, but if you're looking for a New Mexican fix - Little Anita's on Colorado or a pepperoni & green chile pizza from Dion's (one in commerce city and one basically in parker). Or Patzcuaro's on 32nd sits somewhere between New Mexican & traditional Mexican.

@thehakujin sounds like your friends probably have restaurants locked down, but if you are looking for more broad suggestions around Denver here are a few: FnG is great and relatively cheap and there are some bars to drop into on 32nd. Root Down is a Denver staple and then you are right in the Highlands. Brazen near Tennyson is good and you are walking distance to 4 breweries and handful of bars. Bacon Social House on 44th has a good brunch menu but it gets super busy. The Grateful Gnome has good sandwiches (breakfast and lunch) and they brew their own beer.

Thanks, Sicker. Noted. I think it's just Friday night that'll be tied up. I'll be on the ground with the other Gator on Friday morning, and we don't bail until Sunday night. I should have an opportunity somewhere in there... looked at FnG, looks fun. Still searching the others. Wife has turned me into a James Beard-seeking dining tourist. Annette, Frasca, Moxie, Q House, The Wolf's Tailor all getting mentions. Brazen sounds great just by brewery proximity!

Frasca is great. Would highly recommend that. Troy Guard (local restauranteur) owns FnG so it comes from a line of great restaurants. Guard and Grace is the best steak in Denver in imo (cocktails are on point too). Mister Tuna has great food, but its too loud in there to really enjoy it. Have heard good things about Annette, but have yet to go. Linger (tapas style) and Ophelias (good food with a quirky live music component) are two other great options and are in the same restaurant group as Root Down.

Considering how much I've heard (particularly from non-CU types) how beautiful the campus is, I was actually kind of relishing the idea or parking at a pretty good distance so as to walk through as much of the campus as possible. If it's anything other than a night game, we'll presumably not need our car until well after the game anyway... I am betting we'll want to stick around and visit some more.

Park for free on residential 11th Street south of Aurora Ave (north of Aurora there is a 2 hour parking limit). There is always space. Walk less than a half mile north on 11th through a lovely leafy neighborhood with 100+ year old homes and sorority and frat houses toward College Ave. Turn right on College and you are there in the heart of the Hill. Walk through the pedestrian underpass under Broadway and you are immediately in the oldest part of campus, circa late 1800s. Walk through Norlin Quad and observe Old Main, which was the entire school when General Grant (inventor of the $50 bill) was President. Keep walking west and Folsom Field is nearby. This whole walking tour from parked car to Folsom is like 1.5 miles, but gives the best quick look at the Hill residential and commercial area, as well as the oldest and most beautiful part of campus.

Alex Seidel at the Mercantile is the most recent James Beard winner in Colorado, just saying. Conveniently located downtown at Union Station. Great guy, awesome staff, amazing chow. If you get a chance, try his croissants... absolutely bonkers good.

Park for free on residential 11th Street south of Aurora Ave (north of Aurora there is a 2 hour parking limit). There is always space. Walk less than a half mile north on 11th through a lovely leafy neighborhood with 100+ year old homes and sorority and frat houses toward College Ave. Turn right on College and you are there in the heart of the Hill. Walk through the pedestrian underpass under Broadway and you are immediately in the oldest part of campus, circa late 1800s. Walk through Norlin Quad and observe Old Main, which was the entire school when General Grant (inventor of the $50 bill) was President. Keep walking west and Folsom Field is nearby. This whole walking tour from parked car to Folsom is like 1.5 miles, but gives the best quick look at the Hill residential and commercial area, as well as the oldest and most beautiful part of campus.

Thank you, Ringer, that is awesome advice. Sounds like a quick-hitter of a campus-history walking tour. Love it.

If I came wearing CSU or *gasp* you-know-who gear, I can maybe get it. But from a faraway school that has virtually zero interaction? Clearly just a tourist, pilgrim in a strange land. I wouldn't want someone to pretend on game day. Clearly some people agree, some people disagree, what can ya' do?

Thanks for the recommendation on traversing Boulder/Denver. Because of our plans in the city on Friday (and our already-booked hotel), we're unlikely to see Boulder before Saturday morning. With regard to the RTD and Flatiron Flyer... I'm assuming that kind of transportation is a bad idea on Saturday?

As someone that does the exact same thing you do each year I say wear your Florida and Auburn shirts proudly. I wear my Buffs stuff to random games and have never had any negative comments, it is actually the exact opposite. Plus if someone running a tailgate sees me I get invited to hang with them as they want to feel hospitable.

Back