What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Air Force September 14

It might indicate a lack of depth, and, you want backups with some experience
If we were up 20 and they didn’t play any one else, then yes that might indicate that. When it’s a close game to the end you want your best 5 in there the whole time

If we were up 20 and they didn’t play any one else, then yes that might indicate that. When it’s a close game to the end you want your best 5 in there the whole time
People congratulated MT for the way he rotated D line players and had them with fresh legs towards the end. Why didn't he just play the best guys the whole game?

Patterson, Petersen, and other MW coaches talk about AFA week.

AFA highlights from bowl game vs Houston

People congratulated MT for the way he rotated D line players and had them with fresh legs towards the end. Why didn't he just play the best guys the whole game?
Because offensive line is largely a cohesively based unit. One guy being rotated in can throw off the entire line because the guys next to him either don’t know his tendencies or don’t trust him as much as another guy on the line. That lack of trust/comfort ability means he might shade towards the new guy which throws the rest of the line out of whack. D- line is about filling your gap and putting pressure on the quarterback which isn’t reliant on 3/4 guys working in tandem. One guy (see Mustafa Johnson last week) can wreak havoc on his own)

It’s way more physically demanding to rush the passer than it is to pass protect. D-Line will always rotate more than O-Line.

[

CU will be fine for speed and athleticism. Just have to be able to shed blocks and be smart when maintaining assignments.
[/QUOTE]
Smart is the key. If Tucker can get them playing aggressive disciplined lane rush on D, we win fairly easily. If not, it's a nerve wracking cluster. Every kid on an academy team is smart and disciplined. If we don’t fall for their deception, we are more athletic at every position.

[

CU will be fine for speed and athleticism. Just have to be able to shed blocks and be smart when maintaining assignments.
Smart is the key. If Tucker can get them playing aggressive disciplined lane rush on D, we win fairly easily. If not, it's a nerve wracking cluster. Every kid on an academy team is smart and disciplined. If we don’t fall for their deception, we are more athletic at every position.
[/QUOTE]

I read elsewhere that HCMT had been dedicating time each day in fall camp to defending against the option, as it can't be adequately practiced for in just one week. That puts my mind at ease somewhat, and I think they'll be prepared and disciplined - In Mel we trust.

Nothing wrong with having a healthy respect for your opponent when you're playing somebody not named Fusker

Yeah I agree about respecting them, and if FHCMM were still in charge I think it would be a loss. I know HCMT is aware of what AFA does well and will keep us disciplined enough to stop them. Should be a fun day for our offense!

GO BUFFS!

AFA usually beats one big opponent per year at least.
They've been close with Michigan and Mighigan State the last few years. They've been known to beat Notre Dame, as well.

They don't back down for a fight...it's what they're trained to do. Respect that.

They will make it interesting, and perhaps even put a scare into us, but I do think CU will get the win.
Show respect where it's due....they never give up.

Going all out at 3+ in the trenches is not easy no matter what conditioning, especially for someone like Sami. Mel had complete studs at UGA and he still rotated every 8 plays.

AFA usually beats one big opponent per year at least.
They've been close with Michigan and Mighigan State the last few years. They've been known to beat Notre Dame, as well.

They don't back down for a fight...it's what they're trained to do. Respect that.

They will make it interesting, and perhaps even put a scare into us, but I do think CU will get the win.
Show respect where it's due....they never give up.
It’s actually been quite some time since they beat a P5 program. They tend to keep things relatively close, but that first statement just isn’t accurate.

Here's the thing - played all by itself, CU should always win this game. The talent gap is too large.

But this game isn't played in a one-game season. We just played the Nubs. We had CSU before that. This is the third completely different offense we've faced in 3 weeks, and it's a doozy of an offense to defend against. AFA had an off week after playing ****ing Colgate, so I would imagine the game tape situation is not going to be great.

This is also a game where we will likely not have a conditioning advantage, nor will we have an altitude advantage. We will arguably not have a coaching advantage.

The key to this game is simple, though - do your job. They will do theirs, every down. You have to match their intensity and their discipline. If you do, assuming you're not horribly outcoached, the talent gap will eventually win out and you will win. But if you're undisciplined, they will make you pay. Again and again.

I'm heartened that HCMT had the kids working on the option in fall camp. That tells me that he understands the danger that AFA presents and that he's taking them seriously. It seems to me that the team definitely listens and responds to HCMT in a way that perhaps they had stopped doing with MM. Assuming that's the case, I'm cautiously confident going into this game. I might not have felt this way last year.

Damnit, the triple option offense is such an equalizer, everyone in college football should go back to that offense.

Air Force has beaten one team they probably shouldn’t have in the last 4 years (even though they were 8-4 regular season that year) and it was Boise State which is still not a P5 school. The whole puts them on your level talk with this offense is getting ridiculous, it’s not common anymore because it doesn’t work well against good athletes.

Yes, it could be a good game. If Summers and Tucker prepare them properly it should be more than a 2 score game. They are a Mountain West Conference team, if we can’t handle that well, we probably will have a tough time hitting a bowl.

And while I’m at it, I agree that altitude can be an advantage. But people are treating it like it’s a negative that we won’t have an altitude advantage in this game. It’s not a negative, it’s just an equal footing in terms of conditioning. If CU can’t beat teams without an altitude advantage, then that is also a big flag for the rest of the season.

The big question for AFA is that given their unusual bye week in the second week of the season, does that put AFA at a disadvantage?

Assuming Viska can be even 90%, they haven't seen anyone like him, for sure. Take him away, fine, we'll kick your ass with KD and the rest of the crew. It would be nice if the running game shows again, as well. I still expect a really tough game, our guys are learning discipline, these guys already have it.

A few things to keep in mind about this game.

The last two games we won in large part because we wore down our opponents and beat them at the end of the game. This game we will not be in better shape than the Falcons who take pride in being well conditioned and disciplined to not wear down and allow fatigue to force them into errors or sloppy play. Also while it would make sense that our bigger, stronger athletes would wear them down they are very good at using their depth to keep their players fresh throughout the game. To beat them we are going to have to beat them four quarters, can't wait till the end.

Key players to our win.
Defense
Sami - If Jalen (and Williams) can keep his feet and hold the LOS or get some penetration it changes the AFA offense and takes away the first option. The FB handoff depends on controlling the NT and giving the back a space to run in. Sami did a solid job against kNU on some plays holding up against triple teams. If our NT is sound the AFA offense becomes easier to defend.

Taylor - Combination of size and speed to shut down the gaps that AFA relies on to make their big plays. If he overruns plays or gets tied up the wash they will be able to break some gains. If he can get to the hole he can make stops for no gain or even losses and force the Falcons off schedule and out of their preferred plays.

Onu - Where would we be this year without this guy. He has shown himself to be smart and physical. He will often be the unblocked defender. He can stop the big gains and force AF to earn points. He is also in the best position to create and finish turnovers which kill option offenses.

Offense -

Kutsh and Pursell - Air Force likes to attack on defense and over the years they have had a lot of success attacking the guards both against the pass and the run. Our tackles should be able to dominate the edges but the guards cannot allow the ILBs to break up plays.

KD, Brown, and Arias - AF doesn't have athletes in their defensive backfield who can keep up with these guys. Run the right routes and they should be open, catch the ball and they will generate big yards and scores.

If FHCMM was still our coach I would be very worried about this game. AF doesn't match up in terms of talent but they make up for it in intensity and preparation. The last few years they we would have made some mistakes, they would take advantage, we would get frustrated and they would then force a bunch more mistakes, that is how they usually beat more talented teams. My sense is that under HCMT we are mentally and emotionally stronger. Unlike the last couple games I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't lead from close to start to finish.

Can their secondary run? I haven't seen them really. Might be some big plays to be had with the speed of our receiver group.

Back