What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

At what point do we get worried about recruiting?

By historical terms yes! This is the best class in CO in a long long time. Probably the best.

so assuming we are not going to pull a huge class. Develop the Florida pipeline. Reestablish the Cali Trinity league pipeline a little bit of Yexas and defend the borders. It’s a success.
An example. Hart and Ferguson at tight end have huge offers early. I promise they are NOT better than Olsen and Helm.
If we had a heavy CO year. I’m good with it this year.

Lol that juggernaut of a class Tucker is putting together in the BIG right now with an average recruit rating of .8497, or roughly the same rating as current CU commit, Chase Penry. I think it's obvious that Tucker's recruiting abilities were massively overstated by most of us when he was here (probably due to his predecessor's recruiting abilities), and he is mostly pretty average when he's not at one of the SEC elite programs.

Lol that juggernaut of a class Tucker is putting together in the BIG right now with an average recruit rating of .8497, or roughly the same rating as current CU commit, Chase Penry. I think it's obvious that Tucker's recruiting abilities were massively overstated by most of us when he was here (probably due to his predecessor's recruiting abilities), and he is mostly pretty average when he's not at one of the SEC elite programs.
What? Melvin Huckster wasn't all that and a bag of chips?

What? Melvin Huckster wasn't all that and a bag of chips?
His 2020 class finished 36th with an average recruit rating of 85.62. For reference, MM's 2017 class finished 35th with an average recruit rating of 85.21. Granted, it took MM multiple years to pull that kind of class and then he never followed it up with anything as good or better, but there is actually very little evidence to suggest Mel Tucker, as a HC, is a better recruiter than MM.

I do believe Tucker probably would have consistently lived in the 25-35 range at CU, though, but we'll never know.

I think that is underselling the job he did here with the 2020 class. It really was a substantial step forward for the program.

I think he managed to stall recruiting momentum for both programs when he left for Michigan State.

His 2020 class finished 36th with an average recruit rating of 85.62. For reference, MM's 2017 class finished 35th with an average recruit rating of 85.21. Granted, it took MM multiple years to pull that kind of class and then he never followed it up with anything as good or better, but there is actually very little evidence to suggest Mel Tucker, as a HC, is a better recruiter than MM.

I do believe Tucker probably would have consistently lived in the 25-35 range at CU, though, but we'll never know.

That average in 2017 was significantly boosted with the commitment of a very injured Jake Moretti.

No pass. Make an impact. I like that he got Florida kid. If we get 6 or 7 Colorado kids. And 3 or 4 4 stars. Huge success.

would love
Helm
Olsen
Ashford
Flip either QB
Flip Zuhn. But probably not
Dudley
Walker
Penry

Oh bejeebus, what a disaster to have most of the class from CO. No on the CSU QB, no on Dudley, and not holding my breath on needing to keep Penry.

Not to be Dr. Sunshine here, but there are actually quite a few good quality recruits that have CU in their final schools.

It would be great to close them, but right now HCKD is in the final consideration for the right kind of recruits at least at the WR/DB positions. I'd like to see a bit more traction with the Offensive and Defensive line and LB, but the fact that he's making it in to the Top 5 for quite a few high 3 star and 4 star recruits is encouraging to me. This is without the benefit of being able to have visitors to campus.

Hard pass on a lot of those guys.
I mean, he listed 8 guys and I think we are all hoping to land 3 of them (Helm, Olsen, Walker) and would love to flip Zuhn. Some also like Penny apparently, so there are at least 4, and maybe 5 from that group we would all like to keep here.

I mean, he listed 8 guys and I think we are all hoping to land 3 of them (Helm, Olsen, Walker) and would love to flip Zuhn. Some also like Penny apparently, so there are at least 4, and maybe 5 from that group we would all like to keep here.

For the lock-down-the-borders guys they would rather fill up on Colorado prep players than get the best players regardless of where they attended high school.

Some guys want CU to take CO preps first and foremost every class. They don't care about getting the best players, they just want CU to fill up on CO players.
Yeah I am obviously not in agreement with that mindset, I was just saying that out of the 8 guys listed, I think there are 4 or maybe 5 that CU probably should be taking if possible. All of them except Penry have double digit P5 offers.

source.gif

Ah, the yearly freak out in April/May

Followed by the yearly freak out in the fall when the team goes 4-8 again.
Year/Recruiting Rank/Conference Finish

'11 10th 10th
'12 9th 11th
'13 12th 11th
'14 12th 12th
'15 12th 11th
'16 12th 2nd
'17 8th 10th
'18 10th 11th
'19 9th 9th
'20 7th

Perhaps one of these things has to do with the other?

And obviously they both have to do with each other, and 2019 recruiting has nothing to do with 2019 winning, but I think the picture is pretty clearly painted.

Not trying to be a douche, it just comes naturally.

Last edited:
Followed by the yearly freak out in the fall when the team goes 4-8 again.
Year/Recruiting Rank/Conference Finish

'11 10th 10th
'12 9th 11th
'13 12th 11th
'14 12th 12th
'15 12th 11th
'16 12th 2nd
'17 8th 10th
'18 10th 11th
'19 9th 9th
'20 7th

Perhaps one of these things has to do with the other?

And obviously they both have to do with each other, and 2019 recruiting has nothing to do with 2019 winning, but I think the picture is pretty clearly painted.

Not trying to be a douche, it just comes naturally.
Oh, I don’t disagree. This program has sucked for a long time and there are a lot of reasons why, with recruiting at the top. I don’t worry much in April. I do worry in June when we have almost no momentum, which is the case right now

Back