What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bench Montez - October 4 Edition

The poor fundamentals and bailing on the pocket are bothersome, but just a little situational awareness from a 5th year senior should not be too much to ask.

The poor scramble was bad enough, but why are you going deep along the sidelines on 3rd and 4? Unless the receiver is wide open, you are wasting a down there.

Also, the running playbook continues to be severely limited because the defense does not have to account for a running QB.
A consistent running threat at QB is an equalizer, especially when the talent advantage week to week is equal or not in your favor. I’ve been wanting a DT guy for years now and it’s why I want to see Lewis given a serious shot at QB1 next year.

A consistent running threat at QB is an equalizer, especially when the talent advantage week to week is equal or not in your favor. I’ve been wanting a DT guy for years now and it’s why I want to see Lewis given a serious shot at QB1 next year.
Old adage: speed don't slump.

Only 2 ways to be consistently good with pocket passer QBs.

1) Be a USC or old school Miami type program where you have a stable of QBs who will be playing on Sundays in the future.
2) Minimize the importance of the position with a system that wins based on a great running game so that the QB's passing ability is upside, not crucial to making bowls. Primary example is Wisconsin. When the QB can throw, they're a top 10-15 type team. When he can run too, like when they had Russell Wilson, it puts them in the national title conversation.

I know I'm old school on this, but I still believe that the way to win in college football is to play great defense and special teams while being great at 1 thing on offense as your identity. It's easier to be great at running the ball than passing the ball on a consistent yearly basis as you cycle through recruits & new starters. So I much prefer a QB who can run. In fact, I'll take a mediocre passer with great legs over a great passer who can't run if I'm trying to win at the college level.

P.S. Tennessee won its national championship after Peyton Manning graduated and Tee Martin took over. That's the case study for what I'm talking about.

I went back and looked at the 2016 CU Oregon game highlights. Montez ran with abandon. Fought for extra yardage. Generally led the team to victory. It was his finest hour.

What’s happened since? Ok, he has had a daisy chain of coordinators/coaches and that surely hasn’t helped. But the fiery DT he was then has long disappeared. He’s a shell of his former self.

I went back and looked at the 2016 CU Oregon game highlights. Montez ran with abandon. Fought for extra yardage. Generally led the team to victory. It was his finest hour.

What’s happened since? Ok, he has had a daisy chain of coordinators/coaches and that surely hasn’t helped. But the fiery DT he was then has long disappeared. He’s a shell of his former self.
He has gotten miles better about taking care of the ball, reducing sacks and protecting himself. But he has given up a lot of what made him special that day by drastically dialing back the reckless sandlot type play.

The poor fundamentals and bailing on the pocket are bothersome, but just a little situational awareness from a 5th year senior should not be too much to ask.

The poor scramble was bad enough, but why are you going deep along the sidelines on 3rd and 4? Unless the receiver is wide open, you are wasting a down there.

Also, the running playbook continues to be severely limited because the defense does not have to account for a running QB.
Yeah. That really bugged me. Why even attempt such a low percentage pass there? Why did the coaches even have that route in on that play?

That 3rd and 4 pass was what bothered me the most.

Did you think we’d need to score more than 30 to beat UA? Because I did. If you had told me before the game that UA’s number would be 35, I’d have felt good and that it was on the offense to go out and win it — that they should.
Man how are you going to pin this on Montez? He made some incredible plays and our offense just had too many offensive penalties (lookin at you Roddick).

I have been a Montez hater if anything and he made some incredible plays to keep us in the game- ie the throw to Russell or the various shovel passes

He has to have heard the criticism hasn’t he? Yet he continues to pull the same crap. He bails on the pocket, he doesn’t set his feet, he misses reads, he fails to spot wide open receivers, he makes panic throws rather than wait for receivers to break open, he is afraid of contact and doesn’t give himself up even with the game on the line.

And I’ve never, ever, ever seen him blame himself, other than the “I’ve got to do better” crap. I have to believe his teammates are also sick of this ****.

All of that said, he wasn’t the reason we lost. He didn’t commit the dumbass personal foul on a play across mid field and he didn’t drop a sure touchdown pass on a perfectly thrown ball. But he also didn’t fight for much needed extra yards on a “must score” drive at the end of the game.
I’m on the side that is sick and tired of Montez being so situationally unaware and having poor mechanics time and time again. I am annoyed with how he has played against Air Force and Arizona, but I have to disagree with you saying he’s never put the blame on himself. He’s used the I’ve got to do better line yes, but there have been games we have lost due to lack of offense where in the post game he has said things along the lines of “we didn’t score and that’s on me, it’s on me to get this offense going.”

That being said, man I can’t wait for Brendon Lewis or grad transfer QB next year, ****.

Man how are you going to pin this on Montez? He made some incredible plays and our offense just had too many offensive penalties (lookin at you Roddick).

I have been a Montez hater if anything and he made some incredible plays to keep us in the game- ie the throw to Russell or the various shovel passes
Because his job is to be a big time player in big time games. He needs to raise everyone's level with his playmaking. For the Buffs to be successful in 2019, Steven Montez has got to be a star. Him having a pretty good statistical game is not enough.

Because his job is to be a big time player in big time games. He needs to raise everyone's level with his playmaking. For the Buffs to be successful in 2019, Steven Montez has got to be a star. Him having a pretty good statistical game is not enough.
He just lacks the “it” factor that the great players have. You can call it a lack of situational awareness or football IQ, but he often fails to come up with the big play by just willing himself to make the physical sacrifice needed.

I’ve often wondered the same thing. So well said

Too many frozen pizzas

Something that frustrates me is that in his post game presser Steven talked about just having to clean up mistakes and we’ll be fine. I think I remember him saying the same sorts of things after previous losses.

He doesn’t seem to grasp the impact of every single loss on the season’s goals nor the gravity of the remaining schedule and the limited opportunities for wins remaining.

Let's be honest, there is a whole lotta Nuke Laloosh in Montez - million dollar arm and a 10 cent head. And frankly, any player worth his salt would use having multiple coaches to their advantage - taking key nuggets of insight from each, honing them and using them to evolve their game. This has not happened which raises a huge red flag.

Let's be honest, there is a whole lotta Nuke Laloosh in Montez - million dollar arm and a 10 cent head. And frankly, any player worth his salt would use having multiple coaches to their advantage - taking key nuggets of insight from each, honing them and using them to evolve their game. This has not happened which raises a huge red flag.
EXCELLENT analysis!

Dammit Montez.

Yards Allowed per Play thru Week 6

1. Oregon, 3.91
2. ASU, 4.74
3. Cal, 5.01
4. Utah, 5.12
5. Washington, 5.33
6. USC, 5.73
7. OSU, 5.99
Arizona, 5.99
9. WSU, 6.42
10. Stanford, 6.43
11. Colorado, 6.76
12. UCLA, 7.01

Dammit Montez.

1. Oregon, 3.91
2. ASU, 4.74
3. Cal, 5.01
4. Utah, 5.12
5. Washington, 5.33
6. USC, 5.73
7. OSU, 5.99
Arizona, 5.99
9. WSU, 6.42
10. Stanford, 6.43
11. Colorado, 6.76
12. UCLA, 7.01

Subtle point well made. Montez does have to be tougher

Dammit Montez.

1. Oregon, 3.91
2. ASU, 4.74
3. Cal, 5.01
4. Utah, 5.12
5. Washington, 5.33
6. USC, 5.73
7. OSU, 5.99
Arizona, 5.99
9. WSU, 6.42
10. Stanford, 6.43
11. Colorado, 6.76
12. UCLA, 7.01
We’ve gone through this. That’s the defense CU has this year and isn’t going to change. CU’s offense was in position against both AFA and UA to win the game and they couldn’t do it. The offense, with a 5th year Senior and 3 year starting QB and a top 3 WR corps, carries more of the team success load.

Dammit Montez.

1. Oregon, 3.91
2. ASU, 4.74
3. Cal, 5.01
4. Utah, 5.12
5. Washington, 5.33
6. USC, 5.73
7. OSU, 5.99
Arizona, 5.99
9. WSU, 6.42
10. Stanford, 6.43
11. Colorado, 6.76
12. UCLA, 7.01
Would love to see some sort of analysis of how many yards/pts Montez has left on the field. Also, I'm sure he leads the conference in TPG - "Turtles" Per Game.

When Montaz came in for Sefo, he was a running QB comparative. The defenses had been preparing for Sefo, now that they are preparing for Montez, not as much a runner after all.

When Montaz came in for Sefo, he was a running QB comparative. The defenses had been preparing for Sefo, now that they are preparing for Montez, not as much a runner after all.
Nobody’s been game planning for Montez as a running threat since the beginning of the 2017 season. Once it was evident that Roper coached him into self preservation mode, teams haven’t had a reason to keep track of him in the running game.

Montez as frustrating as He can be is still one of my favorite all time Buffs...I thin the game in Eugene might have done that? in all honesty Montez has given us the best chance to win the last 3/4 years. He is the best we have on the roster. Going forward we need to recruit better and more versatile QBs, true dual threat is the way to go. Have to force the D to defend the entire field and every position.

We’ve gone through this. That’s the defense CU has this year and isn’t going to change. CU’s offense was in position against both AFA and UA to win the game and they couldn’t do it. The offense, with a 5th year Senior and 3 year starting QB and a top 3 WR corps, carries more of the team success load.
I think his point is that ASU and UA numbers should be higher.

I like Montez. His career deserves respect. Got to feel for the guy playing 3 years under different coaches and systems. He has played well enough to win all 5 games this season. Hell, he put up 30 points on UoA, despite some sure points (Arias drop) and UoA's goalline stand. He was 15-15 in the 1st half, but for drops and penalties.

Only one drive was a 3 &out in the entire game--he "flipped the field" on virtually each possession. On his worst series in the 3rd quarter, Bish dropped that pass (heard footsteps), and then he threw wide twice. I think he was frustrated. The last drive was going great until the false start penalty. They were moving the ball and eating up clock, which they had to do. I'm not sure why that fade pass was an option on that 3rd down play, except that in recent game winning drives-- that play to Laviska or Brown was the game winner. Arias just did not get open. Perhaps, all the rest of the action was on the other side of the field?? Not sure of the call.

I am looking forward to one thing, Montez will throw 5 more Tds this year, and perhaps Cody Hawkins will be finally purged from the CU record books!! I do believe Montez will steal one, if not two games on the road.

I like Montez. His career deserves respect. Got to feel for the guy playing 3 years under different coaches and systems. He has played well enough to win all 5 games this season. Hell, he put up 30 points on UoA, despite some sure points (Arias drop) and UoA's goalline stand. He was 15-15 in the 1st half, but for drops and penalties.

Only one drive was a 3 &out in the entire game--he "flipped the field" on virtually each possession. On his worst series in the 3rd quarter, Bish dropped that pass (heard footsteps), and then he threw wide twice. I think he was frustrated. The last drive was going great until the false start penalty. They were moving the ball and eating up clock, which they had to do. I'm not sure why that fade pass was an option on that 3rd down play, except that in recent game winning drives-- that play to Laviska or Brown was the game winner. Arias just did not get open. Perhaps, all the rest of the action was on the other side of the field?? Not sure of the call.

I am looking forward to one thing, Montez will throw 5 more Tds this year, and perhaps Cody Hawkins will be finally purged from the CU record books!! I do believe Montez will steal one, if not two games on the road.
Wow. I've never seen such a desperate attempt to make excuses for a player than this right here. Everything good, Montez gets credit. Everything bad, it's everyone else's fault. Arias didn't get open on 3rd down? False start penalties? Dropped passes frustrated him, which forced him into inaccurate passes? Also, news flash... 30 points is actually about average, if not below average for college football offenses. It's not good.

Back