What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall - Former HC at UVA & BYU

I am a little leery of Bronco. IIRC, he flat turned Bohn down during the MikMac search.

The LDS thing is going to be awkward.

My biggest concern, is once somebody self identifies as a burn out, it is not at all uncommon for them to say to themselves "hey, I really miss that and can get right back in the groove". But the reality is, they get back and find they were right in the first place and they become dead weight.

The prospect of Bronco pantsing RG in contract negotiations and scoring a huge, guaranteed retirement on the job deal is pretty high.
Good point(s). We don't know right now, but it could be that Bronco wants nothing to do with CU. And I think the likelihood of any experienced HC with a .500+ career record NOT pantsing RG in a contract negotiation is slim. I believe that cat's out of the bag for any prospect that has a functional agent who can do any research at all. Heck, all the guy would need to do is to read Allbuffs....

My guess is that CU is going to end up with someone like Ryan Walters.

Good point(s). We don't know right now, but it could be that Bronco wants nothing to do with CU. And I think the likelihood of any experienced HC with a .500+ career record NOT pantsing RG in a contract negotiation is slim. I believe that cat's out of the bag for any prospect that has a functional agent who can do any research at all. Heck, all the guy would need to do is to read Allbuffs....

My guess is that CU is going to end up with someone like Ryan Walters.
You mean the Defensive Coordinator for the #3 ranked total defense in the country and #1 scoring defense?

IMO, CU could do significantly worse than Walters. The arguments against hiring him are fair, but he's going to be a P5 HC soon.

Yak said:

"IMO, CU could do significantly worse than Walters"

I agree.

Would you take a coach who's first 6 seasons in the P5 had the following win totals:

And who's bowl record was a whopping 0-3?
That guy retired after Salaam broke 2,000 yards. I have to be honest that I get tired of comparing the current guy to McCartney at a similar point in his career. Totally different set of circumstances.

You mean the Defensive Coordinator for the #3 ranked total defense in the country and #1 scoring defense?

IMO, CU could do significantly worse than Walters. The arguments against hiring him are fair, but he's going to be a P5 HC soon.
The arguments against Walters are going to come down to:

1) Aversion to former Buffs, and
2) We’re hiring him as a HC not a DC and can he really be a successful HC?

#1 is totally self-inflicted but I’ve seen no one argue against Grimes because he was a former Buff so this seems overblown in this case.

#2 is tougher - it’s natural to find guys who have excelled as a coordinator but being a great coordinator is no guarantee of being a good HC (see: Will Muschamp, and now maybe Venables). He’ll get a HC opportunity somewhere but I think CU needs someone who is as close to a sure thing to make bowls as possible even if it means less upside reward which is why Mendenhall may be so appealing. CU can’t afford to miss again.

I am a little leery of Bronco. IIRC, he flat turned Bohn down during the MikMac search.

The LDS thing is going to be awkward.

My biggest concern, is once somebody self identifies as a burn out, it is not at all uncommon for them to say to themselves "hey, I really miss that and can get right back in the groove". But the reality is, they get back and find they were right in the first place and they become dead weight.

The prospect of Bronco pantsing RG in contract negotiations and scoring a huge, guaranteed retirement on the job deal is pretty high.
I don't think LDS will be an issue. Andy Reid is LDS and still does his job. Plus College Football is a Saturday sport so It shouldn't be in the way.

Grimes spent all of three years here as OL coach. That hardly qualifies him as a Buff. Walters actually played football here. Bit of a different situation.

When I said "someone like Ryan Walters" is wasn't meant to be a slam. It was meant to say "someone without HC experience". Maybe I wasn't clear.

I think CU could do worse than Walters.

At the end of the day, it should be a young G5 HC or up and coming coordinator.

Unless of course, there is some hack position coach who has B4L buddies and a house in Boulder.

I think CU could do worse than Walters.

At the end of the day, it should be a young G5 HC or up and coming coordinator.

Unless of course, there is some hack position coach who has B4L buddies and a house in Boulder.
Does RG have a golfing buddy that coached Arena League football? Let's think outside the box !

Been away for a little while, but good to see you guys are still around and in peak coaching hot board form. Like Mendenhall a lot as a candidate, and especially like having heard him say that one of the things he’s looking for in coaching opportunities is a place where he’ll be challenged to rebuild a struggling program. That obviously applies to most schools with coach openings, but certainly does not seem like he’d be scared off by the work needed to turn things around in Boulder.

Herman would be great, but someplace like ASU feels like a more plausible spot for him. Like Grimes a lot as well, though I’d rather see a guy with some recent HC experience.
No. We need a Mensa member (Tom Herman) to bull**** the pseudo-academic elite at CU (starting with diStefano) and shove it right back to those elitists in same way. Fight bull**** with (legit) bull****.

As I was listening, I kept thinking that his belief system about college football's role and the impact it can have would make him fit at CU like Tad Boyle does.

The way he calls it "Assessment and Selection" rather than recruiting. How he took recruits to his ranch to go horseback riding so they could get to know each other in an authentic way. How that translated to one of the lowest transfer rates in the country.

The stuff about how there's all this glitz around the 12 different uniforms and all the free team swag, but that no one really appreciates things they don't earn. So he'd start players out in white shorts and white shirts, no logo. They'd earn their gear through stadium step runs and other things like how you earn belts in martial arts. And the result was a real pride in those colors they had earned.

If we can get this guy, CU needs to make it happen. He'll build this program back. It will be family again. We will win. And whenever he decides to leave we'll maintain or expand on what he's built because the foundation will be so strong.
Drool much?

Drool much?
Totally. It may be the first time in 15+ years I listened to a HC speak and was sure he would win at CU as it is today. It took me a long time to accept that we are a completely different program than 20 years ago. Back then, I was pretty certain any good coach would have great success at CU and I was right.

Honestly, I don’t know how he wouldn’t be in anyone’s REALISTIC top 3-5.

There are better candidates out there, but I’m not sure if there are better “fits” for CU and the admin right now. He’s not the best recruiter of all time and he isn’t Nick Saban, but boy does he seem like the best option given the criteria the school will be operating under and trying to fit their self imposed issues.

Im all in on Herman/Grimes/etc and I’ll love if we lock them down, but there’s something about bronco that makes it seem like the best fit. Also seems like the guy that could weasel his way into academic changes being made due to his good guy champions of life type rhetoric the school could eat up

Admittedly I didn’t listen to the whole thing, but there’s a section in here about mostly wanting 3* players because they’re more about everything in a college and not just football, while 4*/5* players tend to be solely about football. Around 21:50

There is definitely more here that is encouraging, but he mentions taking 3* players who they view as a 5* type talent. Points to a few guys who fall into that category at UVA and BYU.
Sure, some players fall through the cracks. But, a strategy of focusing on 3* players is not a recipe for success for Colorado. BYU (primary access for Mormon oldies) and UVA (elite school in a super talent-rich area) may have more of those players around. 3* players in this area should not be the focal point of our recruiting.

Back