What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall - Former HC at UVA & BYU

Saban isn’t his own DC no matter how he has the staff structured. He’s had multiple DCs go on to be head coaches including the reigning national champ.

And calling plays is the least important part of being a coordinator? Tell that to EB.
I really don't understand the examples you provide to "support" your points.

I mean, in an argument where your general point is trying to say that successful head coaches generally don't run one side of the ball, you're the one who brings up Andy Reid?

I really don't understand the examples you provide to "support" your points.

I mean, in an argument where your general point is trying to say that successful head coaches generally don't run one side of the ball, you're the one who brings up Andy Reid?
I’m not saying that at all, I’m saying most successful head coaches don’t forego hiring a coordinator and try to do both jobs. Bronco not hiring a DC at all and doing that job himself is very different than Andy Reid calling plays with EB as his OC. So far the only other example people can point to of that arrangement is Mike Leach - how may other do that?

Moreover it puts into question his ability to attract coaches when he’s only worked with LDS coordinators and he’s been compelled to be his own DC two different times in his career.

I’m not saying that at all, I’m saying most successful head coaches don’t forego hiring a coordinator and try to do both jobs. Bronco not hiring a DC at all and doing that job himself is very different than Andy Reid calling plays with EB as his OC. So far the only other example people can point to of that arrangement is Mike Leach - how may other do that?

Moreover it puts into question his ability to attract coaches when he’s only worked with LDS coordinators and he’s been compelled to be his own DC two different times in his career.
I would expect there to be a "DC." Just like many report that Reid has an "OC," and Belichick has a "DC."

Not an experienced one, but a young, developmental type. You know, one you can save money hiring, so that you can spend more on other coaches (esp OC).

My honest opinion is that CU FB is in need of a complete turn around job, and I think Bronco might be the best, certain turn around guy on the market.

I deal with distressed businesses all the time, I also deal with big winner IPO type situations. It is really rare to have the same guy capable of both turning around a terrible situation, and of leading an IPO, and of successfully running a publicly traded company.

Most companies that actually complete that cycle go through at least two and usually three CEOs to pull it off.

Bronco could be the guy that brings us all the way back to our former glory. He might not be, and probably won't be.

He is definitely one of the very few that I would feel confident in getting us back to respectability.

Let's get there, and then see what's next.

I would expect there to be a "DC." Just like many report that Reid has an "OC," and Belichick has a "DC."

Not an experienced one, but a young, developmental type. You know, one you can save money hiring, so that you can spend more on other coaches (esp OC).

My honest opinion is that CU FB is in need of a complete turn around job, and I think Bronco might be the best, certain turn around guy on the market.

I deal with distressed businesses all the time, I also deal with big winner IPO type situations. It is really rare to have the same guy capable of both turning around a terrible situation, and of leading an IPO, and of successfully running a publicly traded company.

Most companies that actually complete that cycle go through at least two and usually three CEOs to pull it off.

Bronco could be the guy that brings us all the way back to our former glory. He might not be, and probably won't be.

He is definitely one of the very few that I would feel confident in getting us back to respectability.

...as long as he doesn't turn around and quit.

...as long as he doesn't turn around and quit.
Not to be an amateur psychologist here but if you read between the lines of Bronco's explanation of his departure from Virginia, it's my strong guess that his wife really didn't like that part of the country for some reason(s) and that the resignation had largely to do with that.

To keep it in terms from the business turnaround and startup world, Bronco is a home run on "blocking and tackling" (fundamentals of an efficient & profitable organization) but isn't the guy who brings "secret sauce" (unique value proposition).

Ideally, we'd want both. But how many guys are great at both operational fundamentals and great at innovation with the charisma to own the media & the living room?

I don't think CU can attract the whole package and with where we are right now I prioritize someone who is elite at operational fundamentals over potential or elite secret sauce or someone who is good but not elite at both.

Not to be an amateur psychologist here but if you read between the lines of Bronco's explanation of his departure from Virginia, it's my strong guess that his wife really didn't like that part of the country for some reason(s) and that the resignation had largely to do with that.
I get it. We will likely never know what the real reason was. If CU had an admin with a track record of making sound decisions, I probably would not keep bringing it up. But look who is at the helm on the hire.

There are better candidates IMO. Maybe the word is out and Bronco is the best CU can do. For the record, I do not think he is bad. I think he is a good coach. I just think Herman and Grimes are better options.

Bronco is not the best CU can do. He, like Dorrell was, would be a grab not a high quality option.
Recent sub par record, no experience in the NIL world, recruiting had tapered off just as his win lose record. He is clearly near the end of his road. The Buffs need to be re-energized.
I would prefer Troy Taylor, Ryan Walters, Donte Williams or Riley over Bronco. I am absolutely sure Bronco is a bust at this stage. We deserve better than Meh (we just endured a whole lot of Meh with the photographer puncher).

Bronco is not the best CU can do. He, like Dorrell was, would be a grab not a high quality option.
Recent sub par record, no experience in the NIL world, recruiting had tapered off just as his win lose record. He is clearly near the end of his road. The Buffs need to be re-energized.
I would prefer Troy Taylor, Ryan Walters, Donte Williams or Riley over Bronco. I am absolutely sure Bronco is a bust at this stage. We deserve better than Meh (we just endured a whole lot of Meh with the photographer puncher).
Melvin Huckster showed the admin what a HC trying to win actually looked like and it scared the poo out of them. Thus, the merry band of mediocres are looking for the HC that hits a sweet spot. The sweet spot of just enough success to keep the majority off their back while they cozy up to their "peers", but not any sort of competitive edginess that will cause anyone any discomfort whatsoever.

It is the mindset of "how little can I accomplish and still draw a paycheck?" thinking that brought you KD last time around. Enter the Bronco. JMO.

I don't even really like Mendenhall that much, but this is a laughable take.

I like Charlottesville, but it can be kind of snotty among the money crowd. And if you can’t hang with the academic crowd either, you can be a man without a country (or woman as it were).

I think folks at CU don’t understand how deep the talent pool is here within a day’s drive of Virginia. PA, OH, WV, TN, NC, SC, NJ — don’t forget VA, MD, and DC.

The team’s recruit ranking is only part of the story. There are so many FBS level players in this area compared to the Rockies. Mid-level 3star players here are better than mid-level 3star players from Colorado.
This CU fan does. In ****braska's dominant era, they had dudes from NJ, most of those states really. Then they went cherry picking in Florida, Texas, and some Colorado kids. It worked.

And calling plays is the least important part of being a coordinator? Tell that to EB.
Much more important to me is not that EB doesn’t call the plays is that it’s not his offense. He’s just the manager. Remember the team manager in high school?

“Hey boy, find me a pen that writes!”

each game has a game plan. An angle of attack. A team of observers then input what the other team is doing etc and adjustments are made. The play caller goes forward. It’s not one guy and often not the play caller, as much as the true oc.

Bronco is the right guy right now
If he can bring exciting Coordinators then we can be competitive and at least bowl eligible
Anything is better than the past 2 years, low bar

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

Westerners who have not moved to the east just don't seem to get this.

I've honestly thought this (although I didn't ascribe as much to "his wife" as to the both of them as a couple felt like a fish out of water in VA) all along - and to be clear by "all along" I mean literally the moment he announced he was stepping down. His entire departure right from the beginning felt to me like "this place does not feel like home, and we just launched our kids so it's a good time to 'reset' on our terms."

I get it. We will likely never know what the real reason was. If CU had an admin with a track record of making sound decisions, I probably would not keep bringing it up. But look who is at the helm on the hire.

There are better candidates IMO. Maybe the word is out and Bronco is the best CU can do. For the record, I do not think he is bad. I think he is a good coach. I just think Herman and Grimes are better options.
*IF* they are, in fact, viable options. And with CU, WTF knows?

I really don't disagree with your take at all. I apparently just feel a whole lot better about a Bronco hire than you do. Which does not negate the fact that we would both feel better with Herman or Grimes.

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!

Westerners who have not moved to the east just don't seem to get this.

I've honestly thought this (although I didn't ascribe as much to "his wife" as to the both of them as a couple felt like a fish out of water in VA) all along. His entire departure right from the beginning felt like "this place does not feel like home, and we just launched our kids so it's a good time to 'reset' on our terms."
And the reverse of this is why I've been preaching about recruiting footprint for years. Our attrition rate with players from East of the Mississippi is horrible.

Huge difference between a guy who instantly be the 8th winningest active coach in the sport and a dumb**** who underachieved at UCLA when I was in high school.

Stop it.

*IF* they are, in fact, viable options. And with CU, WTF knows?

I really don't disagree with your take at all. I apparently just feel a whole lot better about a Bronco hire than you do. Which does not negate the fact that we would both feel better with Herman or Grimes.
In the end, you may entirely right that Bronco is the only viable candidate. That is a stinging commentary on the University "leadership". [Cue yakkety sax soundtrack.]

I just don’t get it. Why are we so afraid of shooting for the stars?

I want a coach who can recruit his balls off and run a fun and exciting offense. Give me Herman or a coordinator that has a high ceiling.

We know what we are going to get with Mendenahall who is a good coach, but not great.

This would feel like a hire Rick would make to save himself until he retires. He doesn’t want to take a chance and that’s a loser mentality in my mind
This. Given where this program is in terms of wins and respectability (zero) it has to be a Home Run hire, otherwise it becomes a 4 word, one hour long entry on the ESPN home page and an unnoticed chyron blip everywhere else. That's not going to get us the attention we need with both the media and recruits. And what this team needs is renewed enthusism and excitement (donations and ticket sales) and roster turnover (**** recruits and transfers).

Herman or Sanders or this hire is a failure.

Back