What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Bronco Mendenhall - Former HC at UVA & BYU

This. Given where this program is in terms of wins and respectability (zero) it has to be a Home Run hire, otherwise it becomes a 4 word, one hour long entry on the ESPN home page and an unnoticed chyron blip everywhere else. That's not going to get us the attention we need with both the media and recruits. And what this team needs is renewed enthusism and excitement (donations and ticket sales) and roster turnover (**** recruits and transfers).

Herman or Sanders or this hire is a failure.

Dude. CU is irrelevant in CFB. Nobody we could hire will change that just based on reputation. Rebuilding the program will take time and work. Expecting some savior to come in and compete immediately for top-20 recruiting classes and top 4 in the conference is lunacy.

Don’t we think if it was Bronco it would have been done by now? Unemployed, probably not a laundry list of suitors. If it’s taking this long that would leave me to believe it’s someone currently employed elsewhere. Maybe I’m wrong.

We've been saying that for over a decade, and yet here we still are, on the precipice of not being able to afford to screw this up.
I’m of the opinion that there was enough hope for a bright future baked in to the fanbase that a few bad hires wouldn’t cause irreparable damage. Screw this one up and I believe there will be a lot of people who will simply find other things to do. Honestly, if KD hadn’t been fired, I was seriously considering non renewal of my season tickets. Life is too short to pour money and emotion into a program that doesn’t care.

Don’t we think if it was Bronco it would have been done by now? Unemployed, probably not a laundry list of suitors. If it’s taking this long that would leave me to believe it’s someone currently employed elsewhere. Maybe I’m wrong.
Not necessarily. They could be in contract negotiations. There’s a lot of things they could be doing that would delay the announcement. However, I’d agree that if it goes on much longer, it becomes less likely that Bronco is the guy. I’ll blame Phil if that’s the case. While I wouldn’t have any specific evidence, historical ****ery on his part would easily lead to the conclusion that he managed to **** up this hire, too.

Dude. CU is irrelevant in CFB. Nobody we could hire will change that just based on reputation. Rebuilding the program will take time and work. Expecting some savior to come in and compete immediately for top-20 recruiting classes and top 4 in the conference is lunacy.
Agreed on the time and work. Want to shorten that cycle? Then it has to be a HR hire. Meddenhall MIGHT have re-charged his batteries by sitting out (possibly) and MIGHT be able to tap into the Poly pipeline (probably not) and MIGHT be recognized as a former, successful HC by recruits (doubtful). This is not a recipe I am not that excited by. Sorry. Same goes for Patterson or some "up and coming" FCS or P5 coach. Things are changing rapidly in the CFB world and us being 3-9/4-8/5-7 the next 3 years doesn't really look much different for us than where we are right now in the eyes of the powers that be. In the each of the next 2 years we need incoming classes of upwards of 30 players with more than half of those being legit transfers. They have to be enticed. I just don't see a Mendenhall type coming off a 1-11 season sparking that.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's Bronco, it was going to be announced this week, and Bronco delayed it to focus on the UVA murders. It really would have been bad optics if Bronco was giving Rah-Rah intro speeches a few days after the 11/13 tragedy.

So while I don't know if it's him (eager to see Adam's hot board update this afternoon), I don't think it was appropriate to announce this week if it is Bronco.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's Bronco, it was going to be announced this week, and Bronco delayed it to focus on the UVA murders. It really would have been bad optics if Bronco was giving Rah-Rah intro speeches a few days after the 11/13 tragedy.

So while I don't know if it's him (eager to see Adam's hot board update this afternoon), I don't think it was appropriate to announce this week if it is Bronco.
Excellent point.

I go back to "it was supposed to be announced last week, but both sides chose to delay in order for the news of CU hiring UVA's former coach to overshadow that coach's duty to honor the deaths of the three kids he had recruited and coached at UVA as best he could."

If he's the hire, and that's the reason everyone delayed the announcement (maybe even including certain reporters being willing to sit on the news because they're also decent human beings), then I'm 100% OK with that.

I guess I missed this but what was the source of this?

Agreed on the time and work. Want to shorten that cycle? Then it has to be a HR hire. Meddenhall MIGHT have re-charged his batteries by sitting out (possibly) and MIGHT be able to tap into the Poly pipeline (probably not) and MIGHT be recognized as a former, successful HC by recruits (doubtful). This is not a recipe I am not that excited by. Sorry. Same goes for Patterson or some "up and coming" FCS or P5 coach. Things are changing rapidly in the CFB world and us being 3-9/4-8/5-7 the next 3 years doesn't really look much different for us than where we are right now in the eyes of the powers that be. In the each of the next 2 years we need incoming classes of upwards of 30 players with more than half of those being legit transfers. They have to be enticed. I just don't see a Mendenhall type coming off a 1-11 season sparking that.

Regardless of the hire, it's going to take 3+ years to get to a consistent 6+ wins. That's how deep the hole is, IMO. Patience is called for but I do understand that patience is thin.

On the topic of "things are changing rapidly in the CFB world", you're right. But it's a jagged unpredictable line. Look at TAMU. High profile HC, massive NIL, huge fan/booster support, SEC conference. And yet, here they are. Conversely, look at TCU.

Regardless of the hire, it's going to take 3+ years to get to a consistent 6+ wins. That's how deep the hole is, IMO. Patience is called for but I do understand that patience is thin.

On the topic of "things are changing rapidly in the CFB world", you're right. But it's a jagged unpredictable line. Look at TAMU. High profile HC, massive NIL, huge fan/booster support, SEC conference. And yet, here they are. Conversely, look at TCU.
Nah. A coach who is adept at working the transfer portal can turn things around pretty fast. Maybe not one year, but certainly by 2024.

Nah. A coach who is adept at working the transfer portal can turn things around pretty fast. Maybe not one year, but certainly by 2024.
I think there's potential (if we get a portal QB and some other strategic additions) to be in bowl contention in November'23 and to be .500 or better as a '24 expectation. But I do think we're a 5-year build to go into seasons talking about a bid in the expanded playoffs as something we're competing for.

And that's if nearly everything goes right.

Not necessarily. They could be in contract negotiations. There’s a lot of things they could be doing that would delay the announcement. However, I’d agree that if it goes on much longer, it becomes less likely that Bronco is the guy. I’ll blame Phil if that’s the case. While I wouldn’t have any specific evidence, historical ****ery on his part would easily lead to the conclusion that he managed to **** up this hire, too.
Like Bronco wanting to focus this week on mourning the three UVA kids. I'll be worried about losing BM if we get to Thanksgiving with no deal done.

That is a great point, and if it ends up being him next week, I'll give him a lot of credit for being that kind of guy.

There's a lot of coaches in CFP who wouldn't care.

Even if the announcement was delayed due to the tragedy, way too many people would know about it by now to keep it a secret. I think it’s someone else and I still think it’s probably Grinch. Ugh.

Even if the announcement was delayed due to the tragedy, way too many people would know about it by now to keep it a secret. I think it’s someone else and I still think it’s probably Grinch. Ugh.
But you're basing that off Chase saying he was part of the candidate pool that was posted a few days before CU traveled to LA to play USC and then talked yourself into an offer/interview/negotiation scenario that doesn't make much sense, IMO.

But you're basing that off Chase saying he was part of the candidate pool that was posted a few days before CU traveled to LA to play USC and then talked yourself into an offer/interview/negotiation scenario that doesn't make much sense, IMO.
Well yeah, he was reportedly being interviewed while the team was at USC last week, then the hire was rumored to be “done” a day or two later, so I think that scenario makes perfect sense thank you very much!

Well yeah, he was reportedly being interviewed while the team was at USC last week, then the hire was rumored to be “done” a day or two later, so I think that scenario makes perfect sense thank you very much!
The rumor about it being "done" was prior to them even going to LA. We had this discussion at the time and I said it doesn't make sense to send out an offer before he was interviewed, to which you did the mental gymnastics of saying they for sure have been having conversations and this interview was just the final one to solidify it, which doesn't make any sense.

I think you're paranoid and talking yourself into a scenario you don't like

The rumor about it being "done" was prior to them even going to LA. We had this discussion at the time and I said it doesn't make sense to send out an offer before he was interviewed, to which you did the mental gymnastics of saying they for sure have been having conversations and this interview was just the final one to solidify it, which doesn't make any sense.

I think you're paranoid and talking yourself into a scenario you don't like
I’m pretty sure the “I think this thing is done” posts from Chase and BCS came late Sunday which was 2 days after the USC game.

I’m pretty sure the “I think this thing is done” posts from Chase and BCS came late Sunday which was 2 days after the USC game.
I'm too lazy to go look because I think you're taking crazy pills, but I remember having this conversation about the sequence of events not adding up.

Had he been a reported candidate prior to the game, information about RG interviewing him while they were there come out before the game, then info about an offer going out and "I think this thing is done" happening after the game, I wouldn't have suggested the sequence of events didn't add up. That would have made sense.

I'm too lazy to go look because I think you're taking crazy pills, but I remember having this conversation about the sequence of events not adding up.

Had he been a reported candidate prior to the game, information about RG interviewing him while they were there come out before the game, then info about an offer going out and "I think this thing is done" happening after the game, I wouldn't have suggested the sequence of events didn't add up. That would have made sense.
I went back and looked, the timeline in your second paragraph is what happened. Reports he was being interviewed after the USC game came early last week, and the “almost done” report was Sunday afternoon. Now it doesn’t at all mean that Grinch is the hire, but to me the timeline made sense if it was him.

Are there Mormons in NE? Seems like part of the problem at UVA was culture related. Weird fit if you ask me.

Are there Mormons in NE? Seems like part of the problem at UVA was culture related. Weird fit if you ask me.
I think that was about Rocky Mountain guy (and wife + staff) in the Mid Atlantic region. I don't think religion really played into it unless his family struggled to find an LDS church & community, which would have been tough on the family.

Back