What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Buffalo emoji approved by unicode, to come this year

The only wild herd I've heard of is north of Wellington, it's a fairly new project: https://cvmbs.source.colostate.edu/northern-colorado-bison-herd-flourishes/. There's not much open prairie in South Park that I'm aware of that isn't ranched, and I've spent quite a bit of time there. The area east of Rocky Mountain Nation Forest, toward to South Platte has some grassland, but it's not nearly as wide open and unpopulated as that between I-25 and 287. Pawnee National Grasslands seems like a candidate, too.

Just as aside, WarBuff, if a buffalo wants to go through or over most any fence made for cattle, it will. There's been a small herd near Wellington Lake (hours from the aforementioned Wellington) for years. I hunt the area and over the years have frequently walked by their pasture. One day the owner asked me to look for the bull - they'd all gone through the fence and wandered down to Chatfield State Park. The owner managed to get the cows in a coral, but the bull was getting pissed and wasn't having it, so they left him. If you haven't seen a mature bull up close, you'd never wonder why Ralphie is a heifer, once you do. So, he drove his girls back the 2 hours home, which is a little more than 20 miles as the crow flies. Less than a week later the big guy was back in the pasture, having jumped the fence to get back in.

The only wild herd I've heard of is north of Wellington, it's a fairly new project: https://cvmbs.source.colostate.edu/northern-colorado-bison-herd-flourishes/. There's not much open prairie in South Park that I'm aware of that isn't ranched, and I've spent quite a bit of time there. The area east of Rocky Mountain Nation Forest, toward to South Platte has some grassland, but it's not nearly as wide open and unpopulated as that between I-25 and 287. Pawnee National Grasslands seems like a candidate, too.

Just as aside, WarBuff, if a buffalo wants to go through or over most any fence made for cattle, it will. There's been a small herd near Wellington Lake (hours from the aforementioned Wellington) for years. I hunt the area and over the years have frequently walked by their pasture. One day the owner asked me to look for the bull - they'd all gone through the fence and wandered down to Chatfield State Park. The owner managed to get the cows in a coral, but the bull was getting pissed and wasn't having it, so they left him. If you haven't seen a mature bull up close, you'd never wonder why Ralphie is a heifer, once you do. So, he drove his girls back the 2 hours home, which is a little more than 20 miles as the crow flies. Less than a week later the big guy was back in the pasture, having jumped the fence to get back in.
That "fence" wouldn't have stopped me, so there were no illusions about what it could do if it wanted. The truck was about 3' away, but I was still nervous the whole time.

There was a "fence" between them that she shoved her camera through, but she was close enough to hear it's breath. She may have been 8'-10' away. I had the truck close by, but I would prefer she had just used the telephoto lens more and got close less.

She must figure that being a CU grad provides some sort of spiritual bond that makes them understand we are the good ones!
Harder to get the background like that using zoom

Back