What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Charles Clark to Oregon

Please stop wit former Buff talk. It's great when a former Buff IS the best coach for the job, but let's get the best assistants we can regardless of where they went to school.

Clark is very replaceable, he was on a nice upward trajectory but let's be honest, is it better to give him a raise knowing his limitations or hiring a new CB coach or secondary coach that fits our needs (recruiting area, higher ceiling as a coach, etc.) better than Clark. Also If the new DC has say on the defensive staff (not sure if MM really gives that with himself being a derensive coach) or at least a possible better mesh.

Also continuity is good, but it can also lead to some complacency and with the exception of Leavitt and Mac as an assistant, how many of the guys on this staff or who were a part of it have been a part of big time football winners or high pressure jobs that can keep building this. I welcome some hungry fresh coaches to the staff and hopefully they will have been a part of big time programs who are built to win mixed with some young hungry guys to keep it pushing.
Sometimes former Buffs are the best coaches for us, especially from a recruiting stand point. Chivarini has been huge for us.

Also fu Oregon.
I'm in on this. We need to start paying coaches enough to avoid becoming someones farm club. Part of being a perennial to 20 school is paying like one.

And one other thing......Phil Knight and Oregon are rocketing their way toward hated rival. If they manage to flip a couple of prize recruits because of these changes I will be seeing flashes of Fusker red when I see the Ducks listed on our schedule. With the money they have they could be snagging talented coaches away from any other school in the nation, but instead the grab two from a league rival. I smell a rat.

Last edited:
Oregon doing what they need to do to stem tide of another Pac 12 team competing for recruits and success. ****ty these coaches made a jump to a conference rival

Jesus. 1 good win season and it's all falling apart. It's imperative MM makes the right hires the first time here and keeps rolling without skipping a beat. I'm worried about losing recruits but what can you do?

Jesus. 1 good win season and it's all falling apart. It's imperative MM makes the right hires the first time here and keeps rolling without skipping a beat. I'm worried about losing recruits but what can you do?
You realize that Alabama lost their D-coord last year and their O-coord this year, right? Are they falling apart? When you win, other teams want your coaches. That's the way it works.

Sometimes former Buffs are the best coaches for us, especially from a recruiting stand point. Chivarini has been huge for us.
I get that, but that shouldn't trump everything in the criteria. I'll see your Chev and give you a Hagen, decent coach, ok recruiter, but would be easy to upgrade.

You realize that Alabama lost their D-coord last year and their O-coord this year, right? Are they falling apart? When you win, other teams want your coaches. That's the way it works.

You realize that Alabama is ran like bill
Belichick runs the patriots, right? They have Steve sarkisian playing "advisor" ready to step in after a year working with Saban and kiffin. Saban ALWAYS has someone ready to promote and if he doesn't they get the hottest name they can find and pay for it. Lane kiffin made 1.4 million this season as an assistant, we absolutely cannot pay that to our assistants. Alabama is in another league so that's the worst comparison you could have made.

Regardless my point still stands. It's IMPERATIVE MM makes the right hire the 1st time here so we don't LOSE the momentum. Again, we are not Alabama, we don't have 23 5-star players on our roster. We can't win on pure talent.

I'm in on this. We need to start paying coaches enough to avoid becoming someones farm club. Part of being a perennial to 20 school is paying like one.

And one other thing......Phil Knight and Oregon are rocketing their way toward hated rival. If they manage to flip a couple of prize recruits because of these changes I will be seeing flashes of Fusker red when I see the Ducks listed on our schedule. With the money they have they could be snagging talented coaches away from any other school in the nation, but instead the grab two from a league rival. I smell a rat.
Very few programs can or are willing to compete with the likes of Oregon for paying coaches. CU is pretty solid as far as salaries go. Are we where we need to be? Probably not. But I think we'll increase our salary pool and be pretty competitive.

Salary pool and long-term contract limitations; two of the competitive disadvantages that CU must overcome consistently to sustain success. Like towing an anchor.

Salary pool and long-term contract limitations; two of the competitive disadvantages that CU must overcome consistently to sustain success. Like towing an anchor.

Yep. Need to keep moving forward as RG has been doing on growing the donor base and the stadium revenue. We'll never have every assistant on a multi-year contract, so we need to pay well. And we need to continue conducting business a little differently with out HC and AD demonstrating a bit more loyalty to assistants than the norm in order to mitigate the impact of 1-year contracts.

I get that, but that shouldn't trump everything in the criteria. I'll see your Chev and give you a Hagen, decent coach, ok recruiter, but would be easy to upgrade.
First, I disagree with your take on Hagan, he is solid. There are several other coaches on the staff that should be upgraded before we talk about Replacing Hagan. Second, who said being a former Buff trumps everything? It certainly is an advantage, though. The two guys I suggested to coach CBs; one is a 10+ NFL veteran, coaching at USC, the other is a well respected coach at Missouri with ties to LA. Why do you think I only suggest them because they are former Buffs? Who would you rather have on staff?

Seriously, what's your criteria? I wasnt suggesting Walters is the guy, I was simply making his case.

You made his case by admitting you knew nothing about on-field production? Nice.

My criteria is recruiting So Cal and/or Houston. Beyond that, more experience than Walters.

You made his case by admitting you knew nothing about on-field production? Nice.

My criteria is recruiting So Cal and/or Houston. Beyond that, more experience than Walters.
Also, I wouldnt want him as DC. I was saying position coach. Should have clarified.

And for all the Chev comparisons... He cut his teeth through the ranks and was appropriately promoted. He poached a few recruiting targets from CU to TTU the year before he was hired.

First, I disagree with your take on Hagan, he is solid. There are several other coaches on the staff that should be upgraded before we talk about Replacing Hagan. Second, who said being a former Buff trumps everything? It certainly is an advantage, though. The two guys I suggested to coach CBs; one is a 10+ NFL veteran, coaching at USC, the other is a well respected coach at Missouri with ties to LA. Why do you think I only suggest them because they are former Buffs? Who would you rather have on staff?
I wasn't calling for Hagen to replaced, just stating not hard to upgrade him. Who has he recruited? His potion coaching was an upgrade over last year, but Adams was also coaching a unit he shouldn't have been.

A few on this board just bring up former Buffs every time there is an opening, my take was take the best coach for the spot, not the best former Buff. There were a couple of people saying we should bring in Chad Brown as a LB coach.

It doesn't matter who I want on the staff, I want MM to pick his staff.

you know he has a co-DC title currently, right?
Yes, but I dont think he is neccessarily ready for that position here. Of course, he might be an A+ DC and a future coaching star. Who knows. I dont think we are in a position to take that chance though.

Yes, but I dont think he is neccessarily ready for that position here. Of course, he might be an A+ DC and a future coaching star. Who knows. I dont think we are in a position to take that chance though.
He's not going to take a step down and a pay cut to come back to CU.

I'm still confused on this. Clark is either a snake or.. I just want clarification, which is asking a lot of CU apparently.

Back