What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

You're making a big assumption that the rest of the team is upset about this decision - I'm not sure that was necessarily the case, but regardless I'll assume you view every contract holdout and transfer with the same disdain.

Transfers I don't have a problem with. They aren't something a player is doing in the course of a season. If a player wants to leave for a better situation before the season starts that's his right. I actually believe that kids LOIs should be tied to the head coach who they sign with, at least for a couple years.

I am not a big fan of players who hold out while still under contract, if they hold out as free agents that is entirely their decision

Way to grasp at straws. Tell me more about the slave trade.

To be clear, I have never challenged the right that CM has to make decisions for himself to be as selfish as he needs to be.

It's disingenuous of you to claim otherwise.

I'm equal opportunity. It's a selfish choice for any college player to bail on their Bowl team because of their NFL draft stock.

We think you would be wise to drop your fictional narrative about this being isolated to McCaffrey.
"We". Love it. Keep up the good work, Skid!

I'd appreciate an initiative from the NCAA and AD's to develop boilerplate coaching contract language that restricts and penalizes coach movement that takes place prior to the team's post-season game(s).

I'd much rather loose a coach after the bowl game.

"We". Love it. Keep up the good work, Skid!

tumblr_mfs16m8GoU1rjv5ozo1_400.gif

I'd appreciate an initiative from the NCAA and AD's to develop boilerplate coaching contract language that restricts and penalizes coach movement that takes place prior to the team's post-season game(s).

I'd much rather loose a coach after the bowl game.

I'm curious what impact the proposed changes to the recruiting calendar will have on the timing of coaches moving to new programs if we start seeing most players signing during the 2 early periods (late June & mid December).

A wise shaman told me that by skipping the Sun Bowl he angered the football gods, and he will be punished with an untimely non football injury.

Examples...

1. Tripping over his dog Brian Griese style.
2. Blowing off his hand JPP style.
3. Shooting himself Plaxico style.

I'm curious what impact the proposed changes to the recruiting calendar will have on the timing of coaches moving to new programs if we start seeing most players signing during the 2 early periods (late June & mid December).

I'm not sure.

The different set of rules for transfer that coaches and players have is one of the nastier sides of college football.

My gut tells me that more consistency between the coaching carousel and the recruitment calendar would be more palatable.

It's pretty crummy for a player that has been recruited by coach Clark, for example, to now be in the position to choose between the Ducks and the Buffs.

That's the way it's always been, I guess.

Pressure is on the Buffs to get those vacancies fast and with coaches who have relationships with quality recruits equal or better than what we've lost.

I'm not sure.

The different set of rules for transfer that coaches and players have is one of the nastier sides of college football.

My gut tells me that more consistency between the coaching carousel and the recruitment calendar would be more palatable.

It's pretty crummy for a player that has been recruited by coach Clark, for example, to now be in the position to choose between the Ducks and the Buffs.

That's the way it's always been, I guess.

Pressure is on the Buffs to get those vacancies fast and with coaches who have relationships with quality recruits equal or better than what we've lost.

In hoops, early signees are commonly allowed out of their agreements by the new coach... but not always.

What I have always been in favor of is an early signing period but with a limited number of LOIs available like 10 per school.

What this would do is give a lot of kids a chance see where they really stand with a coaching staff. How many kids are told that they are the "number one priority" only to see two other guys signed at their positions. What the early signing period would do is tell a kid yes I am a priority and get the offer or maybe somebody else really does want me a lot more since they have offered an early signing slot.

Reactions: SBG
All I remember from CM last year was his incredible Bowl game against Iowa. People belittle the Sun Bowl and their opponent but having 200+ yards against NC would give him momentum going into the draft. Instead, for myself and many people on the board, he looks like a selfish player. From a business perspective I understand his decision, as a college football fan, I hate it.

Straw man arguments are abundant in this thread.

He did what was best for him. I don't like it as a fan of the college game (not an NFL fan), but it was his choice. We will see more of this in the future. Bowl games are going to become more meaningless in the future, unless it's a top tier bowl like the Rose or CFB playoffs. I think universities or th NCAA should carry draft insurance to mitigate this going forward.

People do have short memories. People excuse Von Miller if they are a Broncos fan, but I'll never forget him putting up an icon of his horse collar of speedy on twitter. I can hold my own grudge. Some can with McCaffery, but he'll be embraced by whatever team drafts him.

Good point. Every bowl game, other than the 4-team playoffs, has been minimized by the playoff system. Another unanticipated consequence of the new system. You can bet your bottom dollar that CM would have played if Furd was in the Final Four. (Also, an observation that Nick Saban made last week)

A very lively thread. Allbuffs rocks. I don't see CM as anything higher than a 4th round pick regardless of the bowl game decision or anything else. He's no Ed Podolak.

After seeing what almost just happened to Adoree Jackson (apparently an ankle injury, not a knee) ... seems like maybe CM made the right choice.

After seeing what almost just happened to Adoree Jackson (apparently an ankle injury, not a knee) ... seems like maybe CM made the right choice.

It's a re injury of an ankle, I'd bet he's healthy in time for the combine. Won't hurt him any.

For those of you who see bowl games as optional, why are you comfortable with the NFL having such a large farm program without risk or expense?

I say that NFL prospects, who go to college mainly for a chance to play professionally, should be put on a minor league farm system and put the student back into the collegiate player. Or, the NFL needs to pony up some of the cost for the college system.

For those of you who see bowl games as optional, why are you comfortable with the NFL having such a large farm program without risk or expense?
Does C Mac playing in El Paso suddenly make that statement untrue?

Does C Mac playing in El Paso suddenly make that statement untrue?

No. But I think the two issues are related. The pinnacle of college play is to reach and win a bowl game (preferably one of the big bowl games). I don't think that the goal of playing sports for a college should be to reach professional sports.

No. But I think the two issues are related. The pinnacle of college play is to reach and win a bowl game (preferably one of the big bowl games). I don't think that the goal of playing sports for a college should be to reach professional sports.

"Should" doesn't matter from a pragmatic sense. Pretty much every guy who signs a scholarship agreement for football has an NFL dream. In fact, you probably don't want to recruit someone who doesn't have that dream.

Back