What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

When did this fully turn into a black-white thing
I want all the players to get paid, I like the idea of a $20M to $30M salary cap
I also think the pathetic amount of Black Head Coaches is terrible and if there were more professionally ran "College Franchises" there would be more black coaches
Players are not in power right now, they are being bought off to stay out of unions and to allow the top programs to be as competitive as possible
Nobody is winning except the top guys pulling the strings
90% of the players are black. >90% of the coaches are white. White fans see the past as the “good ole days” while black fans have mixed emotions about players who once lived in glory not getting fairly compensated.

Top level CFB players have been getting paid something for at least 45 years. Relatively speaking (including inflation), their compensation has not risen that much.

The average and above average player is getting more of a piece. Why? The sport has more eyeballs and teams are in an arms race to get the money and the wins.

We can’t just say “I want a salary cap.” That requires a certified players union and collective bargaining. I’ve really no idea why that’s better for the players, unless there’s some major carve outs to dramatically share profits.

That’s the rub. The schools don’t want to equitably share profits, but players need to get paid fairly. So we have what we have - the market. This requires people to adapt and carve out their niche in the market. What we’re seeing is the consequences of folks who don’t want to adapt.

90% of the players are black. >90% of the coaches are white. White fans see the past as the “good ole days” while black fans have mixed emotions about players who once lived in glory not getting fairly compensated.

Top level CFB players have been getting paid something for at least 45 years. Relatively speaking (including inflation), their compensation has not risen that much.

The average and above average player is getting more of a piece. Why? The sport has more eyeballs and teams are in an arms race to get the money and the wins.

We can’t just say “I want a salary cap.” That requires a certified players union and collective bargaining. I’ve really no idea why that’s better for the players, unless there’s some major carve outs to dramatically share profits.

That’s the rub. The schools don’t want to equitably share profits, but players need to get paid fairly. So we have what we have - the market. This requires people to adapt and carve out their niche in the market. What we’re seeing is the consequences of folks who don’t want to adapt.
Yep, and there is no way out. This is the new normal. I’m all for it.
Think of the value that all of those pre-nil kids added to Nick Saben and the University of Alabama. The vast majority never made anything other than an under-the-table bag.
Its a bit tragic really,

Yep, and there is no way out. This is the new normal. I’m all for it.
Think of the value that all of those pre-nil kids added to Nick Saben and the University of Alabama. The vast majority never made anything other than an under-the-table bag.
Its a bit tragic really,
I wouldn't say tragic.

Getting a college degree and an alumni network behind you sets a person up very well in life.

Too much discounting that by a lot of folks.

But, also, too much over-emphasizing that and glossing over the unfairness of so much money in college sports, the players being the entertainment driving the revenue & being spotlighted in the marketing, but those players not getting a piece of the pie.

Aside from the Whitlocks of the world, who are the black people who don’t like player freedom? You’d be hard pressed to find them. Why? Predominately black players finally have the power they deserve.
I wasn't disputing your point. I was making a joke about how mad white people were going to be about someone making a broad statement about them based on their color. Obviously not all white people don't like player freedom, and that's enough to drive white people into a rage because this way of speaking has gone one way historically.

Few people, and that few doesn't include the loudest voices screaming about it, understand Critical Race Theory. I've looked into it enough to know a general idea behind it but am very far from knowledgeable on it.

It does however, and this is the part that many don't want to acknowledge, take a serious academic look into the realities of the experience of race in this country.

Slavery legally ended at the end of the civil war, the civil rights act was passed in 1964. The numbers today (not just perceptions, the data is clear) show that people of color, especially Black people in this country are far from achieving equality economically, politically, and socially. Those are simply realities. My white skin got me a free pass to opportunities that a Black kid (or other kid of color) didn't get the day I was born. That free pass was even more significant when my father was born, and so on.

We still are dealing with a system that is strongly rooted in a legacy in which the men who have the money to donate to the programs, to pay the NIL, to call the shots are older and almost exclusively white not only in color but in culture. The players in contrast in large part come out of backgrounds where the inequities created by race have been a reality for them since the day they were born. Again their parents, grandparents, etc. felt the weight of those inequities even heavier than the current players do but this legacy is impossible for them to ignore.

Even for those players for whom athletics is a ticket to economic mobility for themselves and their families the realities of the power inequities are a real part of their thinking.

With all this it should be no surprise that Black players, Black coaches, Black families and Black fans aren't willing to fall in line and agree when the rich white men say "Trust us."

As I stated I am far from knowledgeable about CRT but I can say that the limited exposure I have had to certainly makes me aware that there are a lot of things in our society that I need to look at with a little different perspective. Doesn't mean I completely agree with everything I have seen around the issue but it certain is worth taking the time to find a different understanding.

I wasn't disputing your point. I was making a joke about how mad white people were going to be about someone making a broad statement about them based on their color. Obviously not all white people don't like player freedom, and that's enough to drive white people into a rage because this way of speaking has gone one way historically.
Fair enough. Appreciate the clarity.

I 100% believe that the players should be able to get their maximum value from playing college sports.

However, college sports have traditionally been one of the best ways for young people to learn the values of hard work, perseverance, overcoming adversity, etc. I worry that we will lose that aspect of sports because of the unlimited transfer rules. I hope kids, of every color, will learn that staying put might be more beneficial in the long run.
What percent of college students play D1 sports? I suspect there are other ways

I wouldn't say tragic.

Getting a college degree and an alumni network behind you sets a person up very well in life.

Too much discounting that by a lot of folks.

But, also, too much over-emphasizing that and glossing over the unfairness of so much money in college sports, the players being the entertainment driving the revenue & being spotlighted in the marketing, but those players not getting a piece of the pie.
AFAIK, I’ve never discounted the value of education. What I have said is that an education on its own is insufficient compensation for the value that big time college football players bring to the table for schools, other sports, leagues, and tee vee networks.

Yes, education is neat. But, the value of that schooling doesn’t match up with their contribution. The market we see today proves that point. Imagine if the schools or leagues had to pay from their wells of cash.

I 100% believe that the players should be able to get their maximum value from playing college sports.

However, college sports have traditionally been one of the best ways for young people to learn the values of hard work, perseverance, overcoming adversity, etc. I worry that we will lose that aspect of sports because of the unlimited transfer rules. I hope kids, of every color, will learn that staying put might be more beneficial in the long run.
Hasn’t happened so far…

How do they feel about the ability for said black player to just be cast aside from a D1 program with an excellent academic reputation and forced to fend on his own, ending up at a place like Toledo or Idaho St or Lipscomb.

But, I struggle to now see the pure connection between big time, winner take all, cash on top of cash, College Football tied to Research Institutions? The chasm between the initial intent of playing some sports while spending your time at a school getting a degree is so wide, and with kids transferring all the time and honestly, probably not prioritizing school, cannot imagine the actual level of education that is happening.

Are they very valuable to the school by what they are doing on the field or court, absolutely, but is the system, the pathway, the skills, and ultimately the money actually in sync with where we are at and where we have schools sabotaging each other and possibly eliminating other programs chances to offer sports or other things?

Everything is a dern mess, and a full reset and recalculation is needed to find some balance and benefit for all parties.

Is a Dollar spent getting Nuggets tickets and merch worth the same as a Dollar spent on CU Football? I know Joker will be on the court the next few years and we will be a good team, whereas after this year, whether it is all the players, coaches, conferences, championships, NIL, and other stuff remotely stable or enjoyable.

Last edited:
Is a Dollar spent getting Nuggets tickets and merch worth the same as a Dollar spent on CU Football? I know Joker will be on the court the next few years and we will be a good team, whereas after this year, whether it is all the players, coaches, conferences, championships, NIL, and other stuff remotely stable or enjoyable.

When you purchase CU gear, aren't you really paying for the entire athletic department unless you buy CU gear that says CU football? I feel like I get more value buying CU gear than just for one professional sports team. With my CU gear that is not specific for a CU athletic program, I am basically demonstrating that I support all CU athletic teams.

I base my decisions on buying team gear on how I feel about that team at the current time. After the recent NFL Draft, I'm ready to get a new retro Broncos gear.

When you purchase CU gear, aren't you really paying for the entire athletic department unless you buy CU gear that says CU football? I feel like I get more value buying CU gear than just for one professional sports team. With my CU gear that is not specific for a CU athletic program, I am basically demonstrating that I support all CU athletic teams.

I base my decisions on buying team gear on how I feel about that team at the current time. After the recent NFL Draft, I'm ready to get a new retro Broncos gear.
Totally agree on your point, but I am digging into the fundamentals of the systems at play. College Sports are in a very serious predicament, including every non-revenue sport member as well.

The NBA and NFL have created a balanced and competitive product and environment, and have even really stepped out well into social issues. College Football and other sports are now a total mess.

I love to wear and support everything CU, but I feel like everyone is sitting around with no clue what is going to happen and a nuclear bomb is getting ready to go off.

I want to cheer for more Travis Hunters and Nikhai Hill-Greens who have it figured out and represent education and success. The system is going to fail CFB and they are going to shed probably 50% of the fans in the next few years. No successful sports leagues or championships are built on chaos and inequality of the teams.

Totally agree on your point, but I am digging into the fundamentals of the systems at play. College Sports are in a very serious predicament, including every non-revenue sport member as well.

The NBA and NFL have created a balanced and competitive product and environment, and have even really stepped out well into social issues. College Football and other sports are now a total mess.

I love to wear and support everything CU, but I feel like everyone is sitting around with no clue what is going to happen and a nuclear bomb is getting ready to go off.

I want to cheer for more Travis Hunters and Nikhai Hill-Greens who have it figured out and represent education and success. The system is going to fail CFB and they are going to shed probably 50% of the fans in the next few years. No successful sports leagues or championships are built on chaos and inequality of the teams.

I agree with what you are saying about the future of college sports. The move to the Big 12 feels like CU is going back to a more level playing field than in the old Big 12 or the Pac-12. I have accepted that reality that CU isn't going to be on the same level as Oklahoma (my other team thanks to family) and that is a question that many fans whose schools are not in the B1G or SEC are going to deal with in the coming years. Some of those fans are not going to accept the new reality and do something else. Some fans will know that their school won't cut it at the top. Like I have said, good football is not exclusive to the NFL or FBS but not everyone is going to get the message. Will Ralphie run any differently in the Big 12 than the Pac-12 or any other conference? Nope!

I agree with what you are saying about the future of college sports. The move to the Big 12 feels like CU is going back to a more level playing field than in the old Big 12 or the Pac-12. I have accepted that reality that CU isn't going to be on the same level as Oklahoma (my other team thanks to family) and that is a question that many fans whose schools are not in the B1G or SEC are going to deal with in the coming years. Some of those fans are not going to accept the new reality and do something else. Some fans will know that their school won't cut it at the top. Like I have said, good football is not exclusive to the NFL or FBS but not everyone is going to get the message. Will Ralphie run any differently in the Big 12 than the Pac-12 or any other conference? Nope!
I am no longer a fan of the Conferences as they sit, and I think the conferences are a hinderance to future success.
The Schools are a Silo of their own, and we all love the Black and Gold, so we can stand on our own two feet

I'm going to rant on this stupid hit piece. We are a juice boxes/orange slices/participation trophies culture, and I see this **** every day as a teacher. Just today, I was on the receiving end of what is probably the 15th different behavior problem from a student of mine. Instead of trying to find a consequence that might actually force this kid to change his behavior, he gets ISS every day for the remainder of this year for one class period. I have ZERO idea what that is supposed to accomplish. We are doing these kids no favors by treating them like this.

Here's where it lumps in with kids like Xavier Smith (who?), Noah Fenske, and some of the other kids that Max Olson talked to. They became employees of the University of Colorado the minute NIL became a thing. Another thing-am I the only one who finds it interesting that 80% of these kids did not get another power 5 opportunity? The talent hasn't been good enough. Let's hope it is this fall. That said, which is it, kids? Learning how to take constructive criticism is a skill.

I'm going to rant on this stupid hit piece. We are a juice boxes/orange slices/participation trophies culture, and I see this **** every day as a teacher. Just today, I was on the receiving end of what is probably the 15th different behavior problem from a student of mine. Instead of trying to find a consequence that might actually force this kid to change his behavior, he gets ISS every day for the remainder of this year for one class period. I have ZERO idea what that is supposed to accomplish. We are doing these kids no favors by treating them like this.

Here's where it lumps in with kids like Xavier Smith (who?), Noah Fenske, and some of the other kids that Max Olson talked to. They became employees of the University of Colorado the minute NIL became a thing. Another thing-am I the only one who finds it interesting that 80% of these kids did not get another power 5 opportunity? The talent hasn't been good enough. Let's hope it is this fall. That said, which is it, kids? Learning how to take constructive criticism is a skill.
We don't allow kids to lose and have to pick themselves up from adversity or failure. Which is so misguided, because that's where authentic confidence and self esteem comes from.

I am no longer a fan of the Conferences as they sit, and I think the conferences are a hinderance to future success.
The Schools are a Silo of their own, and we all love the Black and Gold, so we can stand on our own two feet

I feel like it has been a long time since I have been a fan of a conference and the Big 12 might just be a temporary home so what's the point?

What's funny is that I graduated from a college not named CU where bison is the mascot, I rooted for CU which has a bison as a mascot, my mother graduated from a school with a bison as a mascot, my work has a bison in the logo...I must be bison to the core!

And one more thing...with all of those transfers going in and out, it's much easier to be a fan of the team than individuals.

Last edited:

A handful of Oregon fans crashed the Washington spring game last night. I’ve seen the idea of crashing ours circulated by Nebraska fans a few times to make our fanbase look embarrassing and outnumbered. Kinda similar fanbases in a lot of ways but Oregon actually went through with it.

steve buscemi youth GIF

Back