What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

What did he say?
Basically, the state of Oklahoma needs it's college football revenue, so things need to stay on schedule and the players need to get back on campus.
The NCAA, the presidents of the universities, the Power 5 conference commissioners, the athletic directors need to be meeting right now and we need to start coming up with answers," Noted Expert Mike Gundy said. "In my opinion, if we have to bring our players back, test them. They're all in good shape. They're all 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22-year-olds. They're healthy. A lot of them can fight it off with their natural body, the antibodies and the build that they have. There's some people that are asymptomatic. If that's true, then we sequester them. And people say that's crazy. No, it's not crazy because we need to continue and budget and run money through the state of Oklahoma."

Basically, the state of Oklahoma needs it's college football revenue, so things need to stay on schedule and the players need to get back on campus.

"Noted Expert" :ROFLMAO:

Ignore Travis as a person, but this will be interesting to see how recruiting shakes out. Is Alabama still willing/able to pay more for their 15th best recruit in a class than CU would for that same recruit? Would this spread out the talent to the tier 2 and 3 P5 programs? I can't see a top 300 recruit going G5 simply because they are offering him more, but going to a lesser P5 program is feasible.

Ignore Travis as a person, but this will be interesting to see how recruiting shakes out. Is Alabama still willing/able to pay more for their 15th best recruit in a class than CU would for that same recruit? Would this spread out the talent to the tier 2 and 3 P5 programs? I can't see a top 300 recruit going G5 simply because they are offering him more, but going to a lesser P5 program is feasible.

C-19 will shake some of it out because smaller local businesses that would sign these endorsement deals may not be around much longer. However, for people in places like Alabama and South Carolina, major college football is the pinnacle of athletic competition. Their local businesses that survive C-19 and still advertise with the school/team will eagerly put up these endorsement deals.

Yeah. Right.

Alabama doesn't pay the players. The players get paid by third parties in a free market system.

These are endorsenent deals, specifically not paid by schools themselves. Are you seriousky asking whether Bama boosters are willing to pony up a helluva lot more money than CU boosters?

C-19 will shake some of it out because smaller local businesses that would sign these endorsement deals may not be around much longer. However, for people in places like Alabama and South Carolina, major college football is the pinnacle of athletic competition. Their local businesses that survive C-19 and still advertise with the school/team will eagerly put up these endorsement deals.
Yeah. Right.
Alabama doesn't pay the players. The players get paid by third parties in a free market system.
These are endorsenent deals, specifically not paid by schools themselves. Are you seriousky asking whether Bama boosters are willing to pony up a helluva lot more money than CU boosters?
Four responses and not one actually answers the question at hand. Impressive, even for AllBuffs.

I understand the Universities aren’t paying, numbnuts, but I would assume Saban is likely telling these third parties who the priorities are and who are not quite worth as much. Would X car dealership in Tuscaloosa pay more for their 15th-25th rated recruit than X car dealership in Boulder?

There has to be differing values for different level recruits and unless the boosters and communities of the big time programs simply say, we are going to offer more for every recruit the program wants than the next program, there will be opportunity for the tier 2 or 3 P5 programs.

I understand the Universities aren’t paying, numbnuts, but I would assume Saban is likely telling these third parties who the priorities are and who are not quite worth as much. Would X car dealership in Tuscaloosa pay more for their 15th-25th rated recruit than X car dealership in Boulder?

There has to be differing values for different level recruits and unless the boosters and communities of the big time programs simply say, we are going to offer more for every recruit the program wants than the next program, there will be opportunity for the tier 2 or 3 P5 programs.

You spend too much time listening to brain poison.

Four responses and not one actually answers the question at hand. Impressive, even for AllBuffs.

You failed to read my posts again. There will not be more endorsement opportunities for lower tier schools for not quite elite players because the core values of areas without really good college football teams don’t include college football. Ad spend from local businesses will be hit very hard by C-19 since many will be going out of business. When sports resume and players get endorsement deals, having college kids in your ads will have to make dollars and sense. If the area DGAF about college football, the opportunity is nonexistent. As per usual, KKKlay is wrong.

According to the NCAA they will establish fair market rates for thing like commercial appearances. They will closely monitor payment. They will not allow athletes to represent the school. No, “Hi! I’m Bobby Boucher linebacker for the SCLSU Mud Dogs at Big Bill’s Used Cars!”

Yeah. Right!

For those who think that the elite programs will start getting all the talent, well that's already happening.

To the bolded part, I think that's more likely to be the case than a lot of people think and I wouldn't discount players going to G5 programs if they have a chance to be a starter at a key position instead of being buried on the depth chart at one of the top programs. The starting QB at a high-level G5 program is more likely to get an NIL deal than he is if he's a 4th stringer at Alabama or Ohio State, and that could sway him to sign with the G5 or lesser P5 program.

Dan Wetzel had a good article on this yesterday:

You missed my point, although I don't know how it could be more obvious. Saban's boosters have no practical limits when compared to CU's boosters. He doesn't have to make any choices, you person with unfeeling balls.

For those who think that the elite programs will start getting all the talent, well that's already happening.

To the bolded part, I think that's more likely to be the case than a lot of people think and I wouldn't discount players going to G5 programs if they have a chance to be a starter at a key position instead of being buried on the depth chart at one of the top programs. The starting QB at a high-level G5 program is more likely to get an NIL deal than he is if he's 4th stringer at Alabama or Ohio State, and that could sway him to sign with the G5 or lesser P5 program.

Dan Wetzel had a good article on this yesterday:
I can see the argument that some guys don’t want to get buried on the depth chart, so they look around for a spot on a team where they can play on their perceived level of competition. I don’t think their decision process will have to do with money from endorsements. There’s no way in hell smaller programs without an existing substantial base for ad revenue/sponsorships suddenly become players for bigger names because of their endorsement deals. To whom are they selling the ads in which the players will appear?

I get where Travis is coming from I guess. Who knows? There are lots of dynamics in play. Penn State is a college town in the middle of nowhere. How many opportunities are there? CU guys are in a major sports market where endorsement money is thin. ‘****braska has a rabid fan base with a **** load of boosters that will pay guys to endorse Runzas.

I get where Travis is coming from I guess. Who knows? There are lots of dynamics in play. Penn State is a college town in the middle of nowhere. How many opportunities are there? CU guys are in a major sports market where endorsement money is thin. ‘****braska has a rabid fan base with a **** load of boosters that will pay guys to endorse Runzas.
Clay’s perspective is from a non-Pac 12 standpoint, so he’s mostly referring to (football) programs like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Miss State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. Mid to lower tier programs that don’t recruit with the elites but live in “CFB country”.

Something interesting to think about would be Oregon. Would Nike as a company be Oregon’s “third party” sponsor for these things? Oregon would immediately be able to contend with any program in the country with paying for name and likeness.

How many players are going to be marketable though? Even in a CFB hotbed town are the linemen and other non-skill positioin players going to get deals? Or the non-star WR's and RB's on the team, which are the majority of players at these positions? I doubt it.

Also, a good analogy I saw is any market can't support an endless number of endorsement deals:

Everyone would like to be in business in the biggest city — let’s say an accounting firm in Manhattan. Yet, the market can’t support an endless supply of accounting firms. Better to be the biggest firm in Albany then an also-ran in New York City.

Alabama isn’t the only school where football matters. There are businesses in Boise, too. Or Ames or Lubbock or Memphis or Boulder.

I’ve heard that argument before but I just don’t really believe it. I think small college football towns are great for the atmosphere to impress recruits but they just aren’t going to have some of the resources some of these big cities have. Just think of the nba and how players want to move to big markets for extra money. You have Kawhi Leonard wanting time join the clippers who have like 1/100th the fanbase that the lakers do just to be in LA. The companies, the big money, the spotlight is on those places.

I’ve heard that argument before but I just don’t really believe it. I think small college football towns are great for the atmosphere to impress recruits but they just aren’t going to have some of the resources some of these big cities have. Just think of the nba and how players want to move to big markets for extra money. You have Kawhi Leonard wanting time join the clippers who have like 1/100th the fanbase that the lakers do just to be in LA. The companies, the big money, the spotlight is on those places.

Alot of highly successful programs are in small towns

I’m talking about with the new rules.

But I go back to my argument above - I don't think very many players on any given team are going to have that much marketability. Even so, there's not that many major programs in big cities: USC/UCLA, Texas, Ohio State, Washington, and Miami are about it. I guess you could add a few others like BC, Georgia Tech, etc but those schools are way down the pecking order in their respective cities.

I will always be a Buffs fan but I wonder if this is going to make college sports, specifically football and basketball more top heavy than they already are.

We already have a limited number of teams that completely dominate but this could make the gaps look like Globetrotters/Washington Generals.

If it does I will just shift my interest to lower levels where the athletes are still there to go to school.

I could actually see some better quality (not elite but better quality than currently) athletes choose to go FBS or D2 because they want to be students, not just hired performers.

We have some excellent programs locally in the RMAC and I could see myself devoting more of my energy and attention that direction.

Texas and Texas A&M generate about $200 million a year in revenues. Most of the frequent top 10 teams aren't that far behind. There are some huge money people behind these programs.

It won't be long at all for Saban or Harbaugh or the other top coaches to play a round of golf with a couple of these guys and mention how by the way that kid from Dallas or Akron or where ever sure would help their line depth but X other school is telling them they will get money from their guys. In no time that kid has "a better offer."

For these people their college team is like a toy. It's bragging rights at the country club, it's their chance to puff up their chest at the executive session at the industry convention. They don't care if their "advertising" money doesn't reach a big target market, they care more if it produced a team that beats their rival.

But I go back to my argument above - I don't think very many players on any given team are going to have that much marketability. Even so, there's not that many major programs in big cities: USC/UCLA, Texas, Ohio State, Washington, and Miami are about it. I guess you could add a few others like BC, Georgia Tech, etc but those schools are way down the pecking order in their respective cities.
You have Oregon and Portland, asu in Phoenix, Utah in Salt Lake City, CU in Denver, TCU in Dallas, Missouri and Kansas with Kansas City, TCU with dallas, A&M with houston, Clemson with Charlotte, LSU with Nola, Wisconsin with Milwaukee, Michigan with detroit, cal and Stanford in the Bay Area, Florida with Orlando and Jacksonville, Minnesota with Minneapolis, notre dame with Chicago, I’m going to stop there but the resources in those cities and the amount of stupid money that is thrown around for marketing is going start to really show and quickly. It’s a lot different than some boosters throwing their money around in small towns like they do now.

Back