What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football Spring 2021 (FCS focused)

I'm watching Samford-Furman on ESPN+ since that happened yesterday but went to OT. That's the beauty of on demand sports. I was planning to watch every conference extensively this spring but I'm going to just settle on the MVFC, Big Sky Conference, and the Southland for now. I will still watch the other conferences on demand if it is warranted. It seems like I just need one more weekend to really know who is the best to worst in the SoCon so I will be able to move on to the Big South, CAA, SWAC, and Ohio Valley Conference as soon as this week.

UND defeated USD on Thursday and the Fighting Hawks will finally go on the road to Western Illinois this coming weekend and then finally the much anticipated UND-NDSU game on March 20th. Next week's game of the week for the MVFC would be UNI @ SIU. MVFC rankings below. The only changes are in the bottom three which seems more clear cut after this weekend's action.

1. North Dakota
2. South Dakota State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Southern Illinois
5. North Dakota State
6. South Dakota
7. Illinois state
8. Youngstown State

Penguins came up short at home against Southern Illinois. They should win a football game at some point this season.

9. Missouri State

Got blanked 25-0 by NDSU at home. Petrino has a lot of work to do with the Bears football program.

10. Western Illinois

Lost at home last weekend to Missouri State and got blown out at SDSU.

Now shifting gears to the Big Sky Conference. UC Davis visits Weber State this upcoming week in what is obviously the Big Sky game of the week.

1. Weber State
2. UC Davis

The Aggies had a good road win at the Kibbie Dome. When things didn't get going for the Aggies, they didn't flinch and kept working at it and eventually came out the victors at the end. That is the sign of a team that could go to the FCS playoffs this year but they are going to have to earn it.

3. Idaho
4. Eastern Washington
5. Idaho State

Bengals played better and got a big win on the road at Southern Utah.

6. Northern Arizona
7. Southern Utah
NR. Cal Poly

The Southland had some competitive games this weekend too.

1. Nicholls
2. SHSU
3. SE Louisana
4. Incarnate Word
5. McNeesse State
6. Northwestern State
7. Lamar

Kudos to Lamar for playing as hard as they could before fading away in the 2H which is the case with young teams such as Lamar.

Southern Conference

There's some decent depth but the top teams are not clear cut yet. Maybe another weekend or two will sort things out. Furman @ ETSU and Wofford @ Samford would be two games of the week type of games. We will know for sure who is the worst SoCon team as The Citadel faces WCU and we will see if VMI is for real when they play Mercer. I would say Samford could be the most exciting team to watch in this conference. The gap between teams 1-7 isn't that great so I think the SoCon is still a top FCS conference.

1. Furman
2. Chatoonga
3. Wofford
4. ETSU
5. VMI
6. Samford
7. Mercer
8. The Citadel
9. Western Carolina

Am I getting burned out of football this spring? Not quite because there are a lot of new teams to watch.

FCS 2021 Spring Football Week 6 games:

Furman @ ETSU
The Citadel @ Western Carolina 💩
Wofford @ Samford
Nicholls @ SHSU (last good Southland game until later in the spring)

Charleston Southern @ Kennesaw State
North Dakota @ Western Illinois
Northern Iowa @ Southern Illinois
Missouri State @ South Dakota
UC Davis @ Weber State
Youngstown State @ SDSU
Idaho @ Northern Arizona
Southern Utah @ Cal Poly
Illinois State @ NDSU
Eastern Washington @ Idaho State
Tarlenton @ Dixie State
Valparaiso @ Butler
Holy Cross @ Leigh
Albany @ Maine
Stony Brook @ Delawrence
Monmoth @ Robert Morris
Morehead State at Prebrystian
Rhode Island @ Villanova
Elon @ Richmond
Lamar @ McNeese
Davidson @ Stetson
Mercer @ VMI
San Diego @ Drake
Del State @ SC State
Colgate @ Lafayette
PV A&M @ Grambling
William & Mary @ JMU
NW State @ SE LA
Forham @ Bucknell
MS Valley State @ Jackson State

Playoff races are starting to warm up in the FCS. 16 team playoff field this spring and 10 auto-bids which means just six at large bids. This would be a great trail run for a potential 16 team FBS playoff with 10 auto-bids from every FBS conference and six at large spots.

Haven't stopped watching FCS football and the Southland has been fun to watch. Today, Nicholls State fell at McNesee in a fun game. It was funny to see LSU's Coach O in McNeese colors since his son is the starting QB and see how animated he got in a corner of the field.

I think this loss might doom Nicholls State's playoff hopes but it has been a wild season for them. Sam Houston State scored 71 on them and then Nicholls State went on to score 75 at home against UIW the following week.

It's a shame that the Southland couldn't stay together but I think it will be just fine as long as Northwestern State, McNeese State, and SE LA stay together with UIW & Houston Baptist. It's going to be fun to see who the Southland adds next. Ditto for the WAC as it makes it return to D1 football. Believe it or not, the WAC still has a FBS charter and all their schools could move up to FBS at any point this decade.

Big Sky Conference has some good ones such as EWU at UC Davis and the battle of the domes (Idaho-Idaho State rivalry).

After this weekend, there's like two weekends of football before the FCS playoffs start. The competition for those at large spots is going to be intense.

One more thing...there has been a rash of cancellations or postponements due to the COVID across the FCS landscape...stay safe everyone!

Belated 2020 FCS Playoff Bracket is out. There was supposed to be 11 auto-bids but the MEAC didn't qualify this year (not sure why) so it went down to 10 which left 6 slots open. For any of you wanting expanded FBS playoffs without those P5 autobids, this FCS playoff bracket should give you second thoughts because the Missouri Valley Football Conference (strongest overall FCS conference) has five teams in the 16 team playoffs this spring. Just imagine an eight team FBS playoff with four or five SEC teams in it.

Belated 2020 FCS Playoff Bracket is out. There was supposed to be 11 auto-bids but the MEAC didn't qualify this year (not sure why) so it went down to 10 which left 6 slots open. For any of you wanting expanded FBS playoffs without those P5 autobids, this FCS playoff bracket should give you second thoughts because the Missouri Valley Football Conference (strongest overall FCS conference) has five teams in the 16 team playoffs this spring. Just imagine an eight team FBS playoff with four or five SEC teams in it.
I'm sorry, but the Spring football on every level (HS-College) has been absolutely embarrassing. Kill it with fire and let's get on to fall '21.

I'm sorry, but the Spring football on every level (HS-College) has been absolutely embarrassing. Kill it with fire and let's get on to fall '21.

There has been some good games and fun games this spring. Second round of FCS playoffs this upcoming weekend and there are some good matchups there. Three more weekends and spring football is over.

The quality of play I saw this spring is far from an embarrassment when it comes to FCS football. As far as HS football, I cannot comment since I saw zero HS games this spring.

Was it worth my time? The answer is yes and I'm going to continue watching FCS football going forward this fall. It's going to be interesting to see how some of those FCS teams fare against the FBS this coming fall. I can almost guarantee that CSU will lose to South Dakota State this fall.

This thread isn't limited to FCS football and the title was modified after someone confused it with spring football for CU football. This thread was about should we have spring football games between schools?

The quality of games have been probably better than what most people expected and that is coming from the FCS ranks. This proves that there can be good football played in the spring. Two to four games would be ideal in this case and would not be mandatory because sometimes teams might not be able to participate due to injuries or whatsover.

If there is a rash of FCS upsets over FBS teams this fall, there will be serious discussions about having spring football games.

This thread isn't limited to FCS football and the title was modified after someone confused it with spring football for CU football. This thread was about should we have spring football games between schools?

The quality of games have been probably better than what most people expected and that is coming from the FCS ranks. This proves that there can be good football played in the spring. Two to four games would be ideal in this case and would not be mandatory because sometimes teams might not be able to participate due to injuries or whatsover.

If there is a rash of FCS upsets over FBS teams this fall, there will be serious discussions about having spring football games.
No, there won’t.

There has been some good games and fun games this spring. Second round of FCS playoffs this upcoming weekend and there are some good matchups there. Three more weekends and spring football is over.

The quality of play I saw this spring is far from an embarrassment when it comes to FCS football. As far as HS football, I cannot comment since I saw zero HS games this spring.

Was it worth my time? The answer is yes and I'm going to continue watching FCS football going forward this fall. It's going to be interesting to see how some of those FCS teams fare against the FBS this coming fall. I can almost guarantee that CSU will lose to South Dakota State this fall.
100% agree with you on Jackrabbits v CSU.

Was only able to watch Delaware-Jacksonville State while the others were on ESPN or ESPN2. JSU wasn't able to get anything going in that one and their explosive starting QB went down with a non-contact injury on the turf (translation: torn knee ligament) which sucks for JSU when they have their one year stopover in the WAC before going to the ASUN. Their third string QB showed some promise though. Delaware appeared to be the more physical team in this contest as well so maybe that game in South Dakota will be a bloodbath.

SHSU finally knocked NDSU out of the playoffs, JMU beat North Dakota, and SDSU rallied to beat Southern Illinois at home. NDSU has nearly everyone returning next season but I believe NDSU's rivals can claim the same thing.

Delaware will play at SDSU on ESPN while JMU visits SHSU on ABC (a first for FCS playoffs I believe) this coming weekend.

So is FCS planning on playing a full fall 2021 schedule? I suppose college kids can handle it, but that's a quick turn around, especially for these kids playing in the playoffs. Fall camp is what, 2 1/2 months away?

So is FCS planning on playing a full fall 2021 schedule? I suppose college kids can handle it, but that's a quick turn around, especially for these kids playing in the playoffs. Fall camp is what, 2 1/2 months away?

Yes the FCS schools will play a full schedule this fall. I’m curious to see how those FCS schools fare against FBS schools this fall.

Some FCS teams could play up to 15 games this fall in addition to the games they played this spring. That could be more than what NFL starters go through even with the preseason (they play six quarters of preseason) in one year.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out down the road for some of those players.

87 degrees with humidity in Huntsville TX. Fluid intake is going to be critical in this one.

JMU dodges an early bullet after SHSU’s turnover on downs after a botched punt.

JMU has a ton of momentum going into the half. Bearkat defenders appears to be gassed and the offense is turning the ball over. Hard to see SHSU coming back from a 24-3 deficit.

Bearkats finally got going and is down just 27-17 with 2:22 before the 4Q. Wind will be blowing behind the backs of the Bearcats in the 4Q.

FCS CCG will be on ABC at 12 pm MT next Sunday.

Punt return for TD by the Bearkats!

Score is now 27-24 with 42 seconds left in the 3Q.

SHSU QB runs it in as time expires in the 3Q.

Bearkats lead 31-27 with the 4Q. That team has been entertaining to watch this spring.

21 points in 2:22.

Too bad JMU’s starting QB went down with an injury to his throwing hand but it’s nice to not see another former Saban assistant make it to the CCG.

Entertaining game overall.

Bring on the Jacks vs Kats next Sunday!

SHSU HC KC Keeler is 30-0 at home in the FCS playoffs. I imagine a G5 offer will be coming eventually.

Recruiting is looking up across the board. Is it possible more kids are thinking they don't want to spend 3 or 4 years in places like georgia or florida, populated by a lot of racists, and instead want live in a place like Colorado?

Back