What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: Colorado Daily – Oklahoma St.

RSSBot

News Junkie

Colorado Daily – Oklahoma State

December 18th

… CU in a few minutes …

CU athletic director Rick George: “I think our best days are ahead of us”

From the Daily Camera … With one game to play, the Colorado football team is already enjoying its best season in 15 years.

Athletic director Rick George believes the Buffaloes’ program is just getting started, however.

“I think this was a great year for our football program,” George said. “All the kudos go to (head coach Mike MacIntyre) and his staff and the players, but I think our best days are ahead of us.”

… While CU has a senior-laden team, especially on defense, George is confident that the pieces are in place to keep the momentum going after this season.

“It’s taken us 11 years to get to this point, and I’m happy that we’ve got to that point,” George said. “Moving forward it’s about consistency in competing at that level every year.

“I know we can’t talk about specifics in recruiting, but we’re off to a pretty good start, and I see that continuing to get better and better every year. I’m excited about our future.”

Continue reading story here

Defensive coordinator candidate Todd Orlando no longer an option for Colorado

… Not that he was coming to Boulder, anyway, but Orlando was talked about as a possible candidate for the open defensive coordinator position at Colorado. But Orlando, like Leavitt, came with a $1 million price tag …

From the Houston Chronicle … With a goal of someday becoming a head coach, Houston defensive coordinator Todd Orlando took the next step by agreeing to the same position at Texas under old boss Tom Herman.

Orlando will sign a three-year deal that pays more than $1 million annually, a source with knowledge told the Houston Chronicle, making him the highest-paid assistant in UT history. Orlando made $526,000 this season.

“It’s going to be very, very challenging. It’s a tough league to play great defense,” Orlando said Saturday after UH’s 34-10 loss to San Diego State in the Las Vegas Bowl. “But if you do have success it opens up other avenues to eventually become a head coach.”

UH made a “seven-figure offer” in attempt to keep Orlando, the architect of one of the nation’s top defensive units the past two seasons at UH.

Named interim coach after Herman’s departure in late November, Orlando was a finalist for the UH head-coaching job that eventually went to Major Applewhite.

Oklahoma State will have seven players – including five starters – from the San Antonio area

… CU only has one player who lists San Antonio as their hometown, freshman offensive tackle Chance Lytle. There are a total of 11 Buffs on the roster from Texas …

From the Oklahoman … Glenn Spencer was the new guy at Oklahoma State in 2008, and when assistants received recruiting area assignments, the first-year defensive line coach figured he drew the short straw.

The Cowboys’ roster had been composed of mostly Texas talent through the years with a high concentration from major hubs in and around Dallas and Houston. That wasn’t Spencer’s ground. His was about 300 miles south of the Metroplex in a well-populated, but little recruited, Texas high school football community: San Antonio.

OSU coach Mike Gundy’s logic behind the assignment? Some eight years later as defensive coordinator, Spencer guessed, “Let’s just put him down there because there are no players down there.”

OSU’s 2016 postseason berth is a good reminder of how much has changed.

The Cowboys will travel to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl with seven prominent players who hail from the region, including five starters, in defensive tackle Vincent Taylor (Madison), safety Jordan Sterns (Steele), safety Tre Flowers (Judson), cornerback Ramon Richards (Brackenridge), punter Zach Sinor (Castroville), receiver Austin Hays (Reagan) and offensive lineman Deionte Noel (Steele).

“It’s crazy,” Richards said. “We’ve been talking about this since I got here to Oklahoma State. We always want to play in the championships and get the big rings, but I’ve always wanted to go back home and play in San Antonio.”

Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy also in line for a contract extension

From the Oklahoman … The OSU Board of Regents approved a two-year contract extension for Mike Gundy over the summer, however, neither the 12th-year head football coach or the university has signed the document.

OSU spokesman Gary Shutt said it was expected to take place following the season.

“In order for that to happen, both parties have to come to an agreement and that hasn’t taken place,” Gundy told reporters on Thursday. “It’s a pretty simple process.”

Gundy made $3.775 million in 2016. The two-year extension, totaling about $8.3 million and keeping Gundy in Stillwater through 2021, will not go into effect until signed. When asked what is preventing him from making it happen, Gundy said, “I don’t think that’s something that is worth commenting on, but there’s no reason to hide it … hopefully that can happen.”

Despite reports he previously met with Baylor officials to discuss its head coach vacancy, Gundy reaffirmed his commitment to OSU.

—–

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back