What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: Notes and Quotes – OL

RSSBot

News Junkie

Spring Practices Analysis – Offensive Line

Colorado has concluded its spring practices, with three of the 15 practices open to the public, including a “Spring Showcase” which featured a glorified scrimmage instead of a Spring game.

While information has been limited, there have been notes and quotes aplenty. Over the next few weeks, we will review each unit on the team, along with analysis as to whether Buff fans should be C+ … Confident; C … Cautiously optimistic; or C- … Concerned.

Previously postedQuarterbacksRunning backsWide Receivers and Tight Ends

Offensive Line

Notes

The Spring “pencil” depth chart for the offensive line:

• Left tackle … Aaron Haigler (Jr.); Jack Shutack (Jr.); Jake Moretti (R-Fr.)
  • Left guard … Brett Tonz (Jr.); Chance Lytle (R-Fr.); Justin Eggers (Jr.)
  • Center … Colby Pursell (R-Fr.); Heston Paige (R-Fr.); Justin Eggers (Jr.)
  • Right guard … William Sherman (R-Fr.); Dillon Middlemiss (Jr.); Kolter Smith (So.)
  • Right tackle … Josh Kaiser (Sr.); Hunter Vaughn (So.); Grant Polley (R-Fr.)

This lineup, however, has to be taken with a huge dose of salt. Suffice it to say, if this lineup takes the field for the Buffs against the Rams August 31st, it could be the start of a long season for Colorado football.

For starters, one of the top returning players from last year, Tim Lynott, missed spring practices with an Achilles injury. Lynott, who will be a junior this fall, had ten starts last season (six at right guard; four at center), and is being counted upon to be a mainstay for the offensive line for the next two seasons.

Another potential starter, red-shirt freshman Jake Moretti, is still working himself back into playing shape. One of the highest-rated recruits in recent years, Moretti hasn’t played since his junior year in high school, but was on the field for about a third of the snaps in the Spring scrimmage.

Quotes

… “I do feel a lot better about that group than coming into the spring,” head coach Mike MacIntyre said after the Spring Showcase. “I thought all of them made some progress. As far as jumps — that’s kind of a big word. You can move forward and not jump. I think some of those guys made jumps.”

Meanwhile, players who also made “jumps,” according to MacIntyre, included tackle Jacob Moretti, guard/center Brett Tonz, guard/tackle William Sherman and guard Dillon Middlemiss.

… “We’re still a long way from where we want to be and need to be to be a really good football team,” said O-line coach and co-offensive coordinator Klayton Adams. “There’s been a ton of things in areas that we’ve gotten better, and we’ve gotten bigger and stronger and more physical. I think we understand things better. We’re just not where we want to be. We want to be great and we’re a long ways from there.”

Aaron Haigler, listed at 295, is more comfortable with his body and has actually spent most of the spring at left tackle.

“It’s been really nice for me in my development to go back to (tackle),” he said. “Having played guard and played tackle gives you good experience in both and what’s going to happen and how to play things.”

Adams has been pleased with Haigler’s play throughout the spring at left tackle.

“I think he would probably tell you he feels a little bit more comfortable there,” Adams said. “I’ve tried to keep him there and not move him around as much and try to get him to where he can feel comfortable.”

… “I remember watching Jake Moretti against (339-pound defensive tackle) Javier Edwards,” quarterback Steven Montez said. “He pushed him off the ball, pushed him off the boards. That alone was very impressive.

“When he’s on the field, he’s a mean dude. You kind of want that from your O-line. You don’t want your O-line to be soft. I think he gives us definitely a nice sharp edge.”

… “A guy like Will Sherman hasn’t played in a game, but he has taken so many reps because he really wasn’t on the scout team a lot in the fall,” Adams said. “He and Colby Pursell were with the ones and twos a fair amount, so those guys have taken a lot of reps in practice. They’re developing some of that (continuity), but having said that you have to get into a game to figure out what you really have.”

Analysis …

CU lost three starters to graduation — left tackle Jeromy Irwin, left guard Gerrad Kough and center Jonathan Huckins. This spring, they are also without Lynott, who is a two-year starter but recovering from an Achilles injury. Isaac Miller, who made six starts last year, is also out for the season with a knee injury (and may decide not to return for the 2019 season).

All told, that’s 122 career starts that are no longer on the field, leaving Aaron Haigler as the most experienced lineman on the team this spring. With 16 starts and over 1,300 snaps played over the past seasons, Haigler is teaming with Josh Kaiser — the lone senior on the line — to lead a young group of linemen.

If … and it’s a big “If” … Jake Moretti and Tim Lynott can stay healthy, the line can be a good one. Moretti is edging ever closer to being able to be a full-time player. If Moretti is as good as projected, he could be a four-year starter and an NFL prospect.

Tim Lynott is also a potential NFL prospect, but he too has yet to live up to his full potential. Lynott was injured in the Arizona State game last November, undergoing Achilles surgery November 8th. Lynott sat out the spring, but coach MacIntyre has indicated that Lynott should be a “full go” by June.

One position which had been a question mark may have been answered. Gerrad Kough started every game at center last season, and there was no clear choice for a replacement for the 2018 season.

Offensive line coach Klayton Adams, though, feels he may have found his starter – red-shirt freshman Colby Pursell. “He’s had spring ball, he’s had training camp, he’s had a season, he’s had a winter conditioning, now he’s had another spring ball,” Adams said of Pursell. “That’s one of the big advantages of grayshirting, is that a guy like him gets a tremendous opportunity to get all those reps before he ever gets out on the field. He’s done a nice job. He’s got a ton of things to work on, get better at, but the great thing about him is he tries to do exactly what you tell him. … I’m excited about where he’s headed but got a long way to go.”

That last sentence sort of sums up the Colorado offensive line potential for 2018. Buff fans can be excited about where they are headed … but they have a long way to go.

Grade … C- … Concerned

—–

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back