What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU equipment manager looking for historical Colorado Buffaloes football items from 1890-1990.

EQBuffalo19

Hi all,

Kind of an odd question for here but I am looking for any Colorado Buffaloes football items from our early years, more specifically 1890-1990. Photos, postcards, tickets, programs, pins, autographs... Folsom Field, Byron White... if anyone has anything neat I'd love to see it and if you have anything you'd be willing to sell, let me know! I am a CU history student and work as a student equipment manager for football, so anytime I can find items from our past, it's a real treat! Thanks!

Stay safe and Sko Buffs!

Last edited:
Good luck with your search. I hope there’s some cool stuff out there.

Thanks! There has to be some stuff out there right? So far I've been able to find a postcard showing Folsom circa 1925-1929 as well as a program from our 1934 homecoming game vs Utah, which was the very first time we were ever called the Buffaloes.

You can't know where you're going, unless you know where you've been and what you are made of. That's why this stuff is so special to me.
unnamed-2 6.23.11 PM.jpgs-l1600 11.51.37 AM.jpgs-l1600-3 11.51.37 AM.jpg
s-l1600-4-11-51-37-am-jpg.38798

Attachments

• s-l1600-4 11.51.37 AM.jpg
    s-l1600-4 11.51.37 AM.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 634
Nice collection. The oldest thing I have is a trucker style cap from the early 80s that one of my high school coaches gave me before my freshman year. But imagine there artes some pretty fantastic collections out there. It looks like you have a good start.

That old pic of Folsom is great. Crazy to look at that view without the tower and general lack of buildings in the background

It really is like a window into the past! Balch Fieldhouse wasn't built for another ten years after this photo was taken! It most likely dates to spring or summer of 1925 and the addition of the running track and it would be another twenty before it was renamed in honor of Fred Folsom. A lot of colleges have modern stadiums or have reconstructed them over the years but the thing I like about Folsom is that you are surrounded by history and can see it. You can feel the ghosts of Byron White, the Dal Ward led teams and the National Champions. It truly is a special place.

Last edited:
Thanks! There has to be some stuff out there right? So far I've been able to find a postcard showing Folsom circa 1925-1929 as well as a program from our 1934 homecoming game vs Utah, which was the very first time we were ever called the Buffaloes.

You can't know where you're going, unless you know where you've been and what you are made of. That's why this stuff is so special to me.
View attachment 38795View attachment 38796View attachment 38797
s-l1600-4-11-51-37-am-jpg.38798

1934 would have been my Grandmother's sophomore year. She always liked that her childhood nickname was "Kayo", and of course CU's QB at the time was Kayo Lam. I assume they met at some point - CU wasn't a huge school back then - but she didn't mention it if she did, so maybe not.

1934 would have been my Grandmother's sophomore year. She always liked that her childhood nickname was "Kayo", and of course CU's QB at the time was Kayo Lam. I assume they met at some point - CU wasn't a huge school back then - but she didn't mention it if she did, so maybe not.

That's awesome! I believe Kayo Lam was the nation's leading rusher before Byron burst onto the scene. Kayo is very underated and I think more people should know about him and his efforts for the Buffs on the gridiron. Great story! I'm sure their paths crossed!

Hi all,

Back on this thread with a unique ball. This ball is either game used or game issued from the 1990 Disneyland Pigskin Classic, the 1990 college football season's opening game. The game pitted the #5 Buffs against the #8 Tennessee Volunteers. In what has been the only meeting on the gridiron between the two schools to date, they fought to a 31-31 tie at Anaheim Stadium with Colorado overcoming three first half turnovers on their way to posting 217 rushing yards on 20 carries by Mike Pritchard who filled in for suspended starting running back Eric Bieniemy. This was the very begining of one of the premire events in college football as well as the start of our National Championship run.

This ball was sold out of a lot of nine other footballs purchased by an individual in Lake Forrest, CA, at a garage sale a mere 25 minute drive from where the game took place. Other balls in the lot include the 1989, 1990 and 1991 Freedom Bowls and the 1990 (this ball), 1991 and 1992 Disneyland Pigskin Classics.

What is special about this ball is that upon viewing game footage and images, you can see that Colorado and Tennessee each used different footballs during the game. Tennessee used a few Wilson 1001 footballs with no other special markings except for "TENNESSEE," while Colorado was one of the few teams I have found to have used Rawlings ST-5 footballs throughout the late 80s and early 90s. Game images clearly show Colorado using an ST-5 stamped "1990 COLORADO VS TENNESSEE" as well as bearing a large "PIGSKIN CLASSIC " logo. Being that this ball is a Rawlings ST-5, I am confident that it was either used by or issued to the University of Colorado for this game. That is a specific detail that lends to the authenticity. If the ball was faked, then someone went to great lengths (buying the proper ball, creating the correct stampings) to do so for little profit and result. Besided those points, it was not even advertised as game issued or used, I have come to that determination based on my own research. The lack of extreme wear seen on most other game balls lends itself to the fact that this ball would have only been used for one game as well as to the fact that it may have only been issued. However, due to scuffs on the nose of the football and minor ones found throughout, I feel that this may have seen the field in some capacity and can't imagine Colorado had even 20 of these footballs availble to them for the game. If the ball were a retail ball they would not have sold ST-5's as they were so specific to one team.

Sko Buffs!

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.02.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.01.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.01.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.03.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.03.00 AM.png

Hi all,

Back on this thread with a unique ball. This ball is either game used or game issued from the 1990 Disneyland Pigskin Classic, the 1990 college football season's opening game. The game pitted the #5 Buffs against the #8 Tennessee Volunteers. In what has been the only meeting on the gridiron between the two schools to date, they fought to a 31-31 tie at Anaheim Stadium with Colorado overcoming three first half turnovers on their way to posting 217 rushing yards on 20 carries by Mike Pritchard who filled in for suspended starting running back Eric Bieniemy. This was the very begining of one of the premire events in college football as well as the start of our National Championship run.

This ball was sold out of a lot of nine other footballs purchased by an individual in Lake Forrest, CA, at a garage sale a mere 25 minute drive from where the game took place. Other balls in the lot include the 1989, 1990 and 1991 Freedom Bowls and the 1990 (this ball), 1991 and 1992 Disneyland Pigskin Classics.

What is special about this ball is that upon viewing game footage and images, you can see that Colorado and Tennessee each used different footballs during the game. Tennessee used a few Wilson 1001 footballs with no other special markings except for "TENNESSEE," while Colorado was one of the few teams I have found to have used Rawlings ST-5 footballs throughout the late 80s and early 90s. Game images clearly show Colorado using an ST-5 stamped "1990 COLORADO VS TENNESSEE" as well as bearing a large "PIGSKIN CLASSIC " logo. Being that this ball is a Rawlings ST-5, I am confident that it was either used by or issued to the University of Colorado for this game. That is a specific detail that lends to the authenticity. If the ball was faked, then someone went to great lengths (buying the proper ball, creating the correct stampings) to do so for little profit and result. Besided those points, it was not even advertised as game issued or used, I have come to that determination based on my own research. The lack of extreme wear seen on most other game balls lends itself to the fact that this ball would have only been used for one game as well as to the fact that it may have only been issued. However, due to scuffs on the nose of the football and minor ones found throughout, I feel that this may have seen the field in some capacity and can't imagine Colorado had even 20 of these footballs availble to them for the game. If the ball were a retail ball they would not have sold ST-5's as they were so specific to one team.

Sko Buffs!

View attachment 42099View attachment 42100View attachment 42101View attachment 42102View attachment 42103View attachment 42104View attachment 42105View attachment 42106View attachment 42107View attachment 42108
I was at that game playing in the band. Great trip, and a very entertaining game.

under Coach Mac, we only got rings if we won the Big 8. So we got watches for the Freedom Bowl and Fiesta Bowl. In 89 we got an Orange Bowl watch with our Big 8 champs ring, 90 was An OB ring, B-8 champ ring and National Champs ring. 91 was a Blockbuster Bowl watch and B-8 champ ring.

I wouldn't mind seeing that tower in front of the Flatirons taken down. Hopefully the eventual west side expansion would result in the best viewing angles.

Back