What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'm guessing the four schools jump by Friday.

If I am CU, I am on the phone now saying we are in and want to announce asap. Take it while it is there and push the two PacNW schools into the very poor position of being stuck or getting on board. Play the hand from strength while you have it and Jump. Get at least 1 partner school that the Big 12 wants and get it done. Wait until OR and WA decide and then all of the leverage is gone

Had Woelk not RT’d the Athletic article I’d continue to say the Big 12 is not happening. But that was intentional. He’s an AD wonk so that was clearly a message to all of us.

But a problem with the Big 12 that their flagship - Ok St - doesn’t want to be there. They want out badly. TCU wants out. Baylor wants out. All of their top programs want to bolt to the SEC.

The only Big 12 bases that are excited about staying are all the worthless bottom feeders.

And forget about GoR costs when it comes to Ok St. They’ll cough up $100M cash from a Pickens trust fund if an SEC opportunity arises.

Sure we can say “they’re not going to the SEC”. Does anyone really know that? It’s all Ok St talks about.

So any talk of the B12 being stable is nonsense. They’re not at all. More stable than the Pac 12? I could see that argument but the margin is negligible.
It is a true, everyone wants to go to the BIG 10 or the the SEC, but right now the Big 12 is on much more solid ground than the Pac-12. The margin is not negligible

Oregon and Washington aren't signing a restrictive GoR.

Stanford and Cal aren't going to be in a conference with BYU or Baylor (not about religion or politics, but academic freedom).

Oregon State & Washington State have no options for leaving.

You can bet those 6 will do everything they can to keep the Pac together.
I wonder if "academic freedom" will be an issue with CU?

Had Woelk not RT’d the Athletic article I’d continue to say the Big 12 is not happening. But that was intentional. He’s an AD wonk so that was clearly a message to all of us.

But a problem with the Big 12 that their flagship - Ok St - doesn’t want to be there. They want out badly. TCU wants out. Baylor wants out. All of their top programs want to bolt to the SEC.

The only Big 12 bases that are excited about staying are all the worthless bottom feeders.

And forget about GoR costs when it comes to Ok St. They’ll cough up $100M cash from a Pickens trust fund if an SEC opportunity arises.

Sure we can say “they’re not going to the SEC”. Does anyone really know that? It’s all Ok St talks about.

So any talk of the B12 being stable is nonsense. They’re not at all. More stable than the Pac 12? I could see that argument but the margin is negligible.

Why do you think a school that has like 10% of the state behind them is able to get into the SEC? You are really overvaluing OSU in this case. They are also not going to the B1G since there is no path forward towards an AAU membership for those folks from Stillwater.

You sound like someone who didn’t grow up in the SWC/Big 8/12 era. CU is more valuable to the B1G or SEC than those schools you mentioned.

Stanford and Cal aren't going to be in a conference with BYU or Baylor (not about religion or politics, but academic freedom).

Sure, every school will do what's best for themselves. But if CU/UU/UA/ASU all bolt I can't see Oregon and Washington sitting on their dicks and staying with the other 4. That's a massive risk. If that B1G invite never comes, they're stuck in a bad place.

Why do you think a school that has like 10% of the state behind them is able to get into the SEC? You are really overvaluing OSU in this case. They are also not going to the B1G since there is no path forward towards an AAU membership for those folks from Stillwater.

You sound like someone who didn’t grow up in the SWC/Big 8/12 era. CU is more valuable to the B1G or SEC than those schools you mentioned.
My freshman year at CU was the inaugural year of the B12 so yeah I know it pretty well.

I’m no Ok St expert but it’s all they talk about. It seems their problem is OU can block them, and not a priority for the SEC but I wouldn’t rule it out either. They are the flagship B12 school right now.

I’m sure we can ask MHVer and he can let us know how much they love the B12, super committed and will never leave.

ESPN is actually going to decide the outcome. PAC 12 is in the negotiation window with Fox and ESPN and we are hearing Fox is not interested. ESPN has the contract with the BIG12 starting in 2024. The Big12 is not offering a deal to anyone without talking to (and listening to) ESPN. So the question is what is the best deal for ESPN ?

I am guessing ESPN will keep the PAC 12 intact and take over the network and a payout of about $40 million per year per school.

That’s the way i

CU was able to bend the P12 to its will by being put into the South division with the LA schools back in 2011. Just imagine the sway the Mountain schools have over the PAC without those LA schools. There was something I saw where the value of the Mountain schools is the same as the Big 12 after OU & UT leave. I imagine the Mountain schools will be able to have some sway in the Big 16.

I’m just enjoying this thread.

I don’t think many, if anyone, would agree with you on this. That’s a huge overevaluation of them that doesn’t really add up. Any of the current Texas schools or KU have bigger brands and followings historically than the non-flagship school in an already small state. They’ve had success in the last 10-15 years but before that they were mostly an afterthought. Maybe I’m crazy but I’m excited about the chance to step into a conference with no clear flagship. It’s an opportunity to step up.

Regardless of where CU ends up, there needs to be a fundamental change to CU's attitude.

The media dollars and the share granted by conference partners is not a gift or entitlement. It's also not monies that CU earned. These monies are investments in and bets on CU. CU has a fiduciary responsibility and moral obligation to use its best efforts to give a positive return on these monies.

And if the powers that be at CU don't agree with the above, the only ethical course would be to drop from D1 and follow the University of Chicago model.

I have some doubts about the long term viability of any national conference. I could see a scenario where the B1G comes to the conclusion that having two teams so far away from everybody else just doesn’t make sense. They split the conference in two, add 6-8 Western schools and effectively have two conferences under one management structure. This is just one step in the process. It’s not the first, and it sure as Hell isn’t the last.

My freshman year at CU was the inaugural year of the B12 so yeah I know it pretty well.

I’m no Ok St expert but it’s all they talk about. It seems their problem is OU can block them, and not a priority for the SEC but I wouldn’t rule it out either. They are the flagship B12 school right now.

I’m sure we can ask MHVer and he can let us know how much they love the B12, super committed and will never leave.

I come from a family of OU boosters and was born in that state. Oklahoma is tilted heavily towards OU and I mean 90-10 in favor of Norman. OU won’t have to worry about blocking OSU because the SEC will not be interested.

TCU was nothing until the coach that preceded Patterson showed up in town. TCU wouldn’t have been in the Big 12 without Patterson. They really have no path towards AAU membership.

Baylor got into the Big 12 because of Texas politics and nothing else.

That is why the Big 12 is stable right now.

I have some doubts about the long term viability of any national conference. I could see a scenario where the B1G comes to the conclusion that having two teams so far away from everybody else just doesn’t make sense. They split the conference in two, add 6-8 Western schools and effectively have two conferences under one management structure. This is just one step in the process. It’s not the first, and it sure as Hell isn’t the last.

Honestly, I think this is actually the beginning of the end. It might take a couple of decades, but they're killing the golden goose.

Destroying rivalries, unlimited transferring, the eventual breaking away from the actual institutions - all of it is going to start to erode interest.

They're making college football into a version of the NFL, and what's happened to every league that's challenged the NFL?

My predictions is that college football will have collapsed into a shell of its former self by 2050, and there will be weird regional minor league football leagues with team names like the Alabama Crimson Tide, but they'll be as nationally relevant as AAA baseball or AHL hockey.

Nobody in the current Big 12 is going to the SEC. If the SEC wanted them, they'd already be in. 4 former Big 12 schools are already in, why would they have not taken Okie Lite, TCU, or ****bailer already?
Yeah, they already have Oklahoma and the two biggest Texas programs. There isn't another market in the Big 12 they would care about. If the SEC is going to expand, it's either going to continue saturating the the Southeast with the ACC programs, or it's coming West for Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, maybe SLC and the brand of Oregon, but they already own the Big 12 market. Notre Dame is obviously the prize, but Forde doesn't believe there's a chance in hell ND chooses the SEC.

Honestly, I think this is actually the beginning of the end. It might take a couple of decades, but they're killing the golden goose.

Destroying rivalries, unlimited transferring, the eventual breaking away from the actual institutions - all of it is going to start to erode interest.

They're making college football into a version of the NFL, and what's happened to every league that's challenged the NFL?

My predictions is that college football will have collapsed into a shell of its former self by 2050, and there will be weird regional minor league football leagues with team names like the Alabama Crimson Tide, but they'll be as nationally relevant as AAA baseball or AHL hockey.
I think the collapse outside the SE and rustbelt will happen a lot faster than that.

They've killed the sport. First year I haven't bought a Phil Steele since college. I'm currently scheduling all the decent weather weekends in OCT / NOV for family trips. I used to spend every cent of relationship capital to block those off for college football, but I just don't feel drawn to it anymore.

Nobody in the current Big 12 is going to the SEC. If the SEC wanted them, they'd already be in. 4 former Big 12 schools are already in, why would they have not taken Okie Lite, TCU, or ****bailer already?
Allegedly, TCU was a fallback option to secure DFW presence if they hadn't been able to make UT/OU happen. Now dead and TCU would not be a B1G target.

Kansas is the only potential B1G, there are no more SEC, and UCF, WVU, Cincy would all be ACC targets after that conference gets poached.

Not an issue for the 4 but for the 2– Oregon and uw. They can’t sign a big GoR with the big12 and then sneak out to the big when and if the big decides down the road to expand. I think we are likely in a lull again now while the pac tries to figure out what the best tv deal might look like— given how little leverage the conference has with the network, i think we are probably looking at the pac having to wait at least until the exclusive window is over before it really knows if there is enough money to hold the conference together (and maybe add some g5). Of course, maybe the network has some fear or data about say amazon potentially being interested. That might cause them to sweeten the deal before the exclusivity runs out. but, the real leverage is held by the big and the network— of course.

i am not sure if i would laugh or cry if the sec did actually decide to expand west and take the 6 from the pac. That speculation seems totally off base.
True, but if you're CU you need to do what's best for you given the situation. How that isn't going to the Big 12 right now is beyond me.

I think the collapse outside the SE and rustbelt will happen a lot faster than that.

They've killed the sport. First year I haven't bought a Phil Steele since college. I'm currently scheduling all the decent weather weekends in OCT / NOV for family trips. I used to spend every cent of relationship capital to block those off for college football, but I just don't feel drawn to it anymore.
Yep. I'll be in the mountains and I'll record the CU games. That way it only takes an hour of my Saturday before I turn it off in disgust.

Ok who’s going to break this to OSU? 😂

Honestly all of these points are valid. But I no longer expect status quo. Nothing seems sacred anymore and I don’t see any stability outside of the B10 and SEC given what happened.

Yep. I'll be in the mountains and I'll record the CU games. That way it only takes an hour of my Saturday before I turn it off in disgust.
This.
I’ve been doing this for years now. I recommend it. It’s one of the reasons I didn’t care what channel we were on. I preferred to listen to CU radio and watch the game on mute anyway, and finally figured out a way to sync that up on delay.
Love my weekends that way. Enjoy!

Honestly all of these points are valid. But I no longer expect status quo. Nothing seems sacred anymore and I don’t see any stability outside of the B10 and SEC given what happened.
I even wonder how stable B1G & SEC will be. Eventually, the endpoint is probably ESPN saying, "These are the 48 teams we want in 4 regional groupings of 12 and we'll pay a lot more to each of you than you're making now." Anyone think the Ohio States of the world will give any fvcks about leaving the Purdues behind?

We have been away from the Big 12 so long that we forget that they do meth in those parts of the country. Just enjoy the free entertainment from those folks like here.

If college football is already dead, what difference does it make if we are in the B1G, SEC, B12 or PAC? Would it not make sense to use this as an excuse to begin the process of winding down the program completely?
I wouldn't mind the process of the top ~20-24 schools forming a semipro league and ****ing off from the NCAA, and the rest reforming 10-12 team regional, competitive conferences. That would be great actually.

I even wonder how stable B1G & SEC will be. Eventually, the endpoint is probably ESPN saying, "These are the 48 teams we want in 4 regional groupings of 12 and we'll pay a lot more to each of you than you're making now." Anyone think the Ohio States of the world will give any fvcks about leaving the Purdues behind?
This is 100% happening and frankly I’m surprised we’re not seeing serious discussions about this right now.

And then we’re back to square one - are we one of the 48, 32, etc.

Based on geography (and on historical status) we would be in the 48 model. The 32 model? 50/50

Back