What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Rick George on to announce a new football coach, let's make it an interview about bringing baseball back to CU.

Mel Tucker on with an interview you got ahead of the press conference, let's ask him about whether he has sons who play football (which Al needed to explain the reference to Mel about) and then talk about the Broncos.

It's so bad that I am astounded.
I'm convinced that DBag either owns that station, or he is extorting the station owner. He is without question one of the worst on air personalities I have encountered in 46 years on earth. Mark Johnson voice (and flow) = gold strands a beautiful music flowing through my ears, even when the news in unfortunate. Every shrill word out of DBag's ugly mouth = my ears eating crap. So, long story short, DBag is terrible at his job (in my opinion).

From Reddit by the one who doesn’t **** on him

As a Bears fan I can say that stretch of time was bad. So bad it about made me turn away from the NFL. This coming from a CU fan who had become accustomed to bad and disappointment in football. But the issues were not Tucker. As the poster mentioned it was a bad aging defense that was left from Lovie Smith's run. The O was bad and did not help in any way. Trestman was in over his head and had no idea how to run a team. The FO was terrible and usually failed on 6 out of 7 draft picks. The list could go on and on but I think everyone gets the point.

I guess you guys know these kids personally and that gives you the right to trash their character online? I guess your opinion shouldn’t really matter to me but it does make me want to defend them. In any event, my guess is you all will like KD just fine this fall with this awesome new coaching staff mentoring and growing them.
I agree with you on the player attitude/character issue. Most of us have no idea what these young men are actually like as people. I can say from first hand experience in meeting KD he was a kid that came across happy, excited to be a Buff and humble. He has a big personality. But who knows what he, or any of these guys are really all about? Plus, I am of the belief that all humans are inherently selfish, and through guidance, effort and maturity most are able to grow out of that trait. So even if he, or any other player, is at some level worried about his touches, or his ability to get a chance to help the team, I am not faulting them too much because I think that is what any athlete is trying to do.

Also, I would expect the dynamic of being on a team, and playing the same position as a coaches son would be extremely difficult. Not trying to make any kind of comparison or value judgments, but in this particular instance there are not a lot of coaches, at least from my perspective, that would have a player with Jmac skill set on the field over one with KD's skill set all that often. Through combine type numbers around all day long is fine, but those two as athletes are on different tiers.

I love the he coached Eli Manning argument for Roper. Good point, guy never would have amounted to anything without that expert tutelage!
To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of Roper. But Montez seems to love the guy, why not keep that relationship there this year instead of having to develop a new one when Montez only has one year left? That to me seems like an additional set back.

To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of Roper. But Montez seems to love the guy, why not keep that relationship there this year instead of having to develop a new one when Montez only has one year left? That to me seems like an additional set back.
Montez likes him and so does Ty Evan's. No clue about Moyer, lytle, or stenstrom

I like drake and would be okay with them keeping him for another year and transitioning him out next off season but tucker needs to bring in a better recruiter for that spot. OL and DL coaches are the biggest priority in this staff at this point. RG should give him a glowing recommendation and try to help him land on his feet somewhere in the AAC, Big 12 or CUSA.

Montez finishes the season like he played the first 5 games I’ll let him pick his coach. He clearly regressed and maybe part of the problem was he was to good of buddies with Montez and didn’t hold him accountable. Didn’t like the roper gore from the get go and I hope he’s gone. Get us a younger more dynamic qb coach he can teach the qb position in our offense. We’re not running the same prostyle offense Eli Manning was running. Just my opinion

As a Bears fan I can say that stretch of time was bad. So bad it about made me turn away from the NFL. This coming from a CU fan who had become accustomed to bad and disappointment in football. But the issues were not Tucker. As the poster mentioned it was a bad aging defense that was left from Lovie Smith's run. The O was bad and did not help in any way. Trestman was in over his head and had no idea how to run a team. The FO was terrible and usually failed on 6 out of 7 draft picks. The list could go on and on but I think everyone gets the point.

Plus Cutler as well and my impression was that at point all resources were poured into the offense in an effort to help him as much as you could.

But at the end of the day I don’t care what he did there. Yeah, I probably wouldn’t hire him as a NFL HC, but we’re in the PAC-12 and not the NFL. Motivating, coaching and relating to HS kids or kids fresh out of HS is different than working with very wealthy guys in their 20s.

I can almost guarantee that Tucker left the 104.3 interview and asked people at CU, "Who is this DMac fool and do I have to care about him?"
Fail for CU to have that interview take place. 850, local and national TV. Guys who’s claim to fame is playing tubas in Mosques shouldn’t be on the list.

I guess you guys know these kids personally and that gives you the right to trash their character online? I guess your opinion shouldn’t really matter to me but it does make me want to defend them. In any event, my guess is you all will like KD just fine this fall with this awesome new coaching staff mentoring and growing them.
You’re right.

*ss hat Kizla sure got it right didn't he:

"But what Colorado needs is a coach who understands the territory, feels at home in the Rocky Mountains and views a beautifully quirky college campus that’s ambivalent about football as a challenge rather than a reason to complain"

Get that guy out of here.
He’s not completely wrong. The “feels at home..” part is eye roll worthy, but regardless of how WE feel about football, CU is not a rabid football fan base like anywhere in the South or Midwest. There are definitely certain challenges that need to be acknowledged and not complained about and it sounds like RG and MT both get it and are bringing the no excuses mentality.

None of this changes the fact that Kiszla is still a douche.

Fail for CU to have that interview take place. 850, local and national TV. Guys who’s claim to fame is playing tubas in Mosques shouldn’t be on the list.

We can’t complain about ****ty or a lack of local coverage and then go pick and choose the stations we have our people appear on just because the host asked some host is a weirdo who asked some dumb questions. Never mind that his co host won a national title and a Super Bowl in the state and is one of your greatest ever players.

You’re proposing the Plati approach.

Also, DMac doesn’t care about college athletics so he doesn’t have serious interest in discussing anything meaningful. I didn’t think the interview as AS bad as everyone is making it out to be. I wish he would have phrased the Deondre Baker and Fromm questions differently. Maybe something like, “What are your thoughts on Baker as a player and how would you evaluate his skill set and how your coaching has gotten him prepared for the NFL?” Something that keeps it focused on his coaching and what he brings to CU, but also still providing the NFL info DMAC wants.

Also, DMac doesn’t care about college athletics so he doesn’t have serious interest in discussing anything meaningful. I didn’t think the interview as AS bad as everyone is making it out to be. I wish he would have phrased the Deondre Baker and Fromm questions differently. Maybe something like, “What are your thoughts on Baker as a player and how would you evaluate his skill set and how your coaching has gotten him prepared for the NFL?” Something that keeps it focused on his coaching and what he brings to CU, but also still providing the NFL info DMAC wants.
He should have asked, "What players have you coached at Georgia who are in the NFL and do you have some guys entering the draft this year?".

I like that he got the NFL experience and it is now out of his system. College is the better game and his coaching style is a better fit for college.

Mel Tucker is a recruiter of high level talent. He is a leader. He is tough and gets players to buy in mentally. He is not a strategy nerd.

In College... Recruiting success is a huge advantage to win games consistently over years. And college players need a coach who keeps them in line and on target mentally which is incredibly important.

In the NFL... Recruiting is worthless. Everyone has a salary cap and you have no control over it as a coach. Also in the NFL, these men are pros. They made it to the show and are paid to produce individually. They don't need the mental leadership as much as the 20 year olds do. The coaches and GMs winning in the NFL today are super nerds and technology is taking over the game. It has become the ultimate chess match. IMO Sean McVay, Sean Payton and Bill Belichik would struggle as college coaches.

I thought the coaches son comment was pretty funny actually lol, and the baseball question was just a random one that he said while RG was getting off the phone so no big deal. Those NFL questions made me cringe though.

Coach T was rated one of the top recruiters in the country. But he was recruiting in a hotbed to a storied powerhouse program. Now Coach T will have to prove his recruiting chops. The old saying about salesmen was, “He’s so good, he can sell ice to an Eskimo.” He’s not in SEC country anymore. Can he sell Colorado to the nations elite recruits?

He really lit up when told about the medical facilities and how everything works together. "meh" at the practice facility itself. But to impress a guy, at all, who has coached at Bama and Georgia, is, well, impressive. Champions Center is a one of a kind bad ass facility.
https://georgiadogs.com/sports/2017/6/16/iaf.aspx

It's hard to tell the scale from the photos, but they look pretty comparable?

He really lit up when told about the medical facilities and how everything works together. "meh" at the practice facility itself. But to impress a guy, at all, who has coached at Bama and Georgia, is, well, impressive. Champions Center is a one of a kind bad ass facility.
I wonder if he looked at it as the indoor facility, locker room, meeting rooms, etc are all expected and pretty standard (among elite programs), but the football medical spaces and the integrated sports medicine facility were things he could sell. Things he could really pitch to parents. I know HCMM definitely used it to his advantage. It is one of the most unique and impressive pieces to the overall facility.

Back