What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini - CU Interim Head Coach

To me, it has more to do with the fact that the vast majority of football coaches "fail" no matter where they go and the same holds true for guys who return to their alma mater.
Here's where I disagree. The emotions are so much higher when it's an alum - from both sides. Embree did not approach the CU job the same way that he would have approached being the HC at Kansas. I think that passion can be good, but it can also cause misguided behaviors and decisions that the person wouldn't normally do. From the other side, it's so much harder to manage the person like you normally would or, as a fan, to call out when we see things aren't as they should be. It literally made me nauseated to go after Embree the way I did.

Here's where I disagree. The emotions are so much higher when it's an alum - from both sides. Embree did not approach the CU job the same way that he would have approached being the HC at Kansas. I think that passion can be good, but it can also cause misguided behaviors and decisions that the personally wouldn't normally do.
What do you think Embree did at CU that he would have done differently anywhere else and do you really think it was the difference between between winning 3 games in 2 years and being a 5-6 win team?

What are those successful examples?

The one that comes to mind for me is Gundy at OSU.

Other examples that have worked have been cases where the guy proved himself as a HC elsewhere and was then brought home (Spurrier).

I can think of a lot of examples besides Embree where it was an absolute disaster, too. My mind tends to go to the Big 12 since we had so many years there, but haven't we seen that happen with Singletary at Baylor, Kingsbury at TTU and Blake at Oklahoma from the negative side? It's hard to go home again.

Gundy started under Les Miles while those coaches didn't start under an existing head coach in that case. His list of places he coached from Wikipedia:

1582565061265.png

What we would be doing with Chev is more like what OSU did with Gundy. Chev's is like this:

1582565155707.png

I would say Chev is about a couple to a few years away from becoming a head coach at a FBS program. I think if RG & LC wants to go the Gundy route, Chev would be next after KD. I think that is what the thinking is like inside the CU administration.

Gundy also had Boone Pickens money pumped into the program and while the money has came in for the Champions Center, I would say we need one more project perhaps on the west side of the stadium.

What we just need at CU is to get going to bowl games regularly again.

What do you think Embree did at CU that he would have done differently anywhere else and do you really think it was the difference between between winning 3 games in 2 years and being a 5-6 win team?
The yelling and belittling of players and administrators for allowing their beloved program to get where it was. The refusal to listen to anyone. The complete rejection of any idea that had been implemented after Barnett rather than evaluating it based on its merits (i.e., the Thunder Chute entry was automatically bad since it was a Hawkins thing and not how we did it back in the day). Returning to ideas from back in the day like wearing red being such a problem despite being in an era when the Nubs weren't even on the schedule. I could go on. But there was a lot of stuff going on that would not have gone on if Embree was coaching anywhere else. He's actually a thoughtful leader who is popular with his players, bosses & staff peers in the other coaching jobs he has had.

The yelling and belittling of players and administrators for allowing their beloved program to get where it was. The refusal to listen to anyone. The complete rejection of any idea that had been implemented after Barnett rather than evaluating it based on its merits (i.e., the Thunder Chute entry was automatically bad since it was a Hawkins thing and not how we did it back in the day). Returning to ideas from back in the day like wearing red being such a problem despite being in an era when the Nubs weren't even on the schedule. I could go on. But there was a lot of stuff going on that would not have gone on if Embree was coaching anywhere else. He's actually a thoughtful leader who is popular with his players, bosses & staff peers in the other coaching jobs he has had.
Yep, coaching at his alma mater is a different dynamic. There's extra pressure there. Wish it would've worked, but it didn't. I don't think it was all on him, but he didn't help it.

Hawkins essentially acting like the CU football program didn't exist before he got here was a big problem there also.

Last edited:
The best recent example of an alum being a successful HC at his alma mater is Shaw at Stanford, but he is on a very short list of guys winning at their former school.
Kirby Smart, Pat Firzgerald, Mike Gundy, Jim Harbaugh, Paul Chryst.

Kirby Smart, Pat Firzgerald, Mike Gundy, Jim Harbaugh, Paul Chryst.
Good call on Smart and Chryst - I honestly didn’t realize they were alums. Fitzgerald, I guess - NW has a pretty different definition of success. I’m not sure I’d consider Harbaugh’s tenure at Michigan a success.

What are those successful examples?

The one that comes to mind for me is Gundy at OSU.

Other examples that have worked have been cases where the guy proved himself as a HC elsewhere and was then brought home (Spurrier).

I can think of a lot of examples besides Embree where it was an absolute disaster, too. My mind tends to go to the Big 12 since we had so many years there, but haven't we seen that happen with Singletary at Baylor, Kingsbury at TTU and Blake at Oklahoma from the negative side? It's hard to go home again.

Didn't Gene Stallings go to Alabama under Bear Bryant, and come back in the 90's and rebuild (they were pretty down for Bama standards) the program. Perhaps, he was AtM when Bear was there.

Back