What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

cu62nu36 said:
Holeee Shiite
We don't win another game this season.
OL is a disaster rivaling Biden's Afghan pullout.
That scared little bunny at QB will only get worse as the sacks and hits pile up. We will see walkon Jordan Woolverton at QB this season.
Criminally negligent of Dorrell to have let Noyer leave when this kid was the alternative. Lewis just flat out cannot throw nor can he make even simple reads. Pocket presence non-existent.

Will Dorrell be fired after a 1 - 11 season?
I was very negative about the team performance last night, just as much as the next person that was realistic about what we saw last night. But this is one of the most comically bad posts I’ve ever seen on this board, so congrats on that I guess?

How much would you like to post that CU doesn’t win another game? I’m happy to take that bet.

Just having fun while I watch the pac 12 south go 0'fer this saturday.
Could this be a game to really get Ashaad Clayton involved?
-Dec 7 2020
Dear lord I hope this is sarcasm-just going to respond to a couple of things here. One, there is no way in hell I'm not stacking the box on this offense until they show they can complete passes-so good luck with #1. Two, Clayton wildcat? GTFO. There's a reason he's been 3rd on the depth chart the entire time he's been here.

Given your opinion on Rice as well today, you seem pretty quick to lose hope in our young talent. Clayton is averaging 5.4 yards per run vs Fontenot's 4.0. One of my bigger complaints with these coaches, I haven't expressed, is player personnel choices. Rice is way better than Arias and Clayton is more explosive and an all around better runner than Fontenot (with a better ceiling) so I'm curious, what is the reason he is 3rd on the depth chart? Brou is a stud and the clear 1 but Clayton looks better to me, do you disagree?

Just having fun while I watch the pac 12 south go 0'fer this saturday.

-Dec 7 2020

Given your opinion on Rice as well today, you seem pretty quick to lose hope in our young talent. Clayton is averaging 5.4 yards per run vs Fontenot's 4.0. One of my bigger complaints with these coaches, I haven't expressed, is player personnel choices. Rice is way better than Arias and Clayton is more explosive and an all around better runner than Fontenot (with a better ceiling) so I'm curious, what is the reason he is 3rd on the depth chart? Brou is a stud and the clear 1 but Clayton looks better to me, do you disagree?

I have no problem with making Clayton the backup based on what I've seen, but there's more here I'm sure we don't know. That's my view.

What OL coach could we realistically get after this season? Maybe USC's, wouldn't mind bringing in Helton as well.

Correct. That's been my position since A&M. Lewis didn't deserve as much crap as he was getting after A&M. He played worse today and deserves criticism as does the o line. But it's still 95% on chev.
I posted this on another thread - I went onto Hudl last night and watched Lewis’ HS film. 99% of the sh!t we’re seeing falls squarely on the shoulders of the coaches. I guarantee under a different staff or at a different school, Lewis would be doing just fine. Maybe not tearing it up, but more than adequate.

Will Chev continue coaching after CU? Or go into real estate or something like that? Serious question.
Come on. He has value in the college game as a recruiter. If he can check his ego at the door and accept that, he’ll continue making a lucrative living as a position coach and maybe rebuild his career as a recruiting coordinator and get another shot as OC down the road.

This is a two sided deal-One, either Dorrell or Langsdorf has to take over play calling immediately. Two, there's no way we can have this conversation without talking about Lewis being a part of it-One pick in three games tells me he's so nervous about making even a small mistake he's paralyzed. Sit him down and play Carter. He's lost right now-and that's not all on the coaches "overcoaching" him.
Bullsh!t. I guarantee overcoaching and under coaching is 99% the issue at this point. Lewis didn’t just become worthless. This is primarily on the staff for a myriad of reasons.

Come on. He has value in the college game as a recruiter. If he can check his ego at the door and accept that, he’ll continue making a lucrative living as a position coach and maybe rebuild his career as a recruiting coordinator and get another shot as OC down the road.
I honestly don’t see him ever being an OC again. He’s been given two chances and has failed spectacularly each time. He’s not cut out for it. Beyond that, I don’t think his ego would allow him to accept a demotion at CU. He will likely take a job as WR coach at a G5 or B12 school next and thus will culminate his career trajectory.

I don't think Lewis is completely broken yet, but he will be if they don't do something with Chev. I don't want to see anybody lose their job, but he flat can't do it and isn't an OC. Dude is a position coach, period. That's his ceiling. Get somebody that knows wtf they are doing, he clearly doesn't. They should've fired his ass at half time, along with a couple of others. :D

So- I haven’t checked in on this thread since before the game. Full disclosure- that was one of the very few Buffs games I turned off before the end, and one of only 2 I have turned off before the 4th (Fresno State, anyone?) I went to the Duke game yesterday - ****ing Duke- and it was so disappointing to see how much more dynamic and creative their offense is, and how they put their athletes in a position to be successful.

it occurs to me that CU is going to run their offense that they’ve prepped no matter what, and make no in game adjustments. It does t seem like they try to suit the offense to the actual athletes on the roster, either.

that was the most embarrassing offensive performance I have ever seen at the collegiate level. It’s complete amateur hour and Chev should ****ing resign after that performance yesterday.

Something else that was even more glaring to me, set aside play calling, adjustments, etc... The players acted lethargic, like they didn't want to be there once they got punched in the mouth. That's ****ing coaching man, and it starts at the top.

Bullsh!t. I guarantee overcoaching and under coaching is 99% the issue at this point. Lewis didn’t just become worthless. This is primarily on the staff for a myriad of reasons.
Of course you do. More likely Lewis wasn't anywhere near ready for the situation he's now in to begin with.

All you have to do to beat this team is load the box. That's it.
And you don't really need to even "load" it with an extra safety, as the term implies. There's really no reason to have any defender more than 10 yards off the ball on most downs. We never complete a pass over ten yards, as far as I can recall (since UNC maybe one or two times). The only completions that go more than ten yards are thrown to about eight yards or so and then the WR/TE leans forward for a couple of extra yards. And even with all the defenders near the line, we can't get anyone behind the safeties.

I usually find some silver linings in a loss... somewhere... I truly do not see how anyone can fix this offense. We don't have any QBs with any real experience. We have one reliable WR with any experience, Stanley. We have one reliable TE. Our OL seems to have forgotten how to block. And the RBs are fine, but have nowhere to run, except backwards.

I'm not sure what schematic changes solve all of these problems. Maybe we turn to the Option? Get all our RBs on the field at once? Maybe if Lewis has to pitch backwards instead of passing forward, he'll be less hesitant?

I worry that Lewis is one of the many dual-threat talents at QB who just is not able to see the field in an advanced passing game (not that we have one of those): There are a bevy of examples (re Tate, Martinez, etc.) of guys who are real threats running, but never seemed to grasp a full passing attack: and those guys are far better than Lewis. Sure, if you give him one read, and that read is open, he can deliver a good ball (I'm pretty sure that's what happened in the bowl game). But that's not college football anymore. It's barely high school football these days. Yes. Very young QB. But, we have no other options. He is either "the one" and will realize it in some Neo-like moment of inspiration, or we are truly screwed for a quite a while.

My feeling in watching Lewis is that we will see Carter starting far too soon.

Something else that was even more glaring to me, set aside play calling, adjustments, etc... The players acted lethargic, like they didn't want to be there once they got punched in the mouth. That's ****ing coaching man, and it starts at the top.
The offense cut the heart out of the defense. The defense gets off the field, the offense gives it back to opponents before defense even gets a drink of water. Or a fumbled punt. On a hot day at altitude, that is exactly the opposite of what you want.

The offense cut the heart out of the defense. The defense gets off the field, the offense gives it back to opponents before defense even gets a drink of water. Or a fumbled punt. On a hot day at altitude, that is exactly the opposite of what you want.
Exactly.

And you don't really need to even "load" it with an extra safety, as the term implies. There's really no reason to have any defender more than 10 yards off the ball on most downs. We never complete a pass over ten yards, as far as I can recall (since UNC maybe one or two times). The only completions that go more than ten yards are thrown to about eight yards or so and then the WR/TE leans forward for a couple of extra yards. And even with all the defenders near the line, we can't get anyone behind the safeties.

I usually find some silver linings in a loss... somewhere... I truly do not see how anyone can fix this offense. We don't have any QBs with any real experience. We have one reliable WR with any experience, Stanley. We have one reliable TE. Our OL seems to have forgotten how to block. And the RBs are fine, but have nowhere to run, except backwards.

I'm not sure what schematic changes solve all of these problems. Maybe we turn to the Option? Get all our RBs on the field at once? Maybe if Lewis has to pitch backwards instead of passing forward, he'll be less hesitant?

I worry that Lewis is one of the many dual-threat talents at QB who just is not able to see the field in an advanced passing game (not that we have one of those): There are a bevy of examples (re Tate, Martinez, etc.) of guys who are real threats running, but never seemed to grasp a full passing attack: and those guys are far better than Lewis. Sure, if you give him one read, and that read is open, he can deliver a good ball (I'm pretty sure that's what happened in the bowl game). But that's not college football anymore. It's barely high school football these days. Yes. Very young QB. But, we have no other options. He is either "the one" and will realize it in some Neo-like moment of inspiration, or we are truly screwed for a quite a while.

That may be happening as soon as Saturday. They don't have a choice but to try something. This damn division is there for the taking and CU can't get out of its own way.

Last edited:

Ok. First I'm going to ask the question. Then I'll give my reason for asking it.

When you say Martinez, please tell me you mean Taylor?

Because if you mean Adrian, I would genuinely feel better if you posted your address so we could call the paramedics because I think you're about to go head first into a 10000 ft deep canyon made out of 100% pure uncut Columbian insanity. I would rather a baby alligator gnaw on my left hand the entire game than Adrian Martinez our QB over Lewis. Nebraska sucks balls at every position but especially at QB. The last drive off the Illinois game, Martinez handed the ball off. When the camera panned over to frosty, you could read his lips, 'that's a ****ing pass!!!' Martinez is a fourth year player and he doesn't know the playbook... I would literally take darian hagan throwing left handed, combined with Montez s pocket presence as Brendan's starter kit before I took Adrian.

Ok. First I'm going to ask the question. Then I'll give my reason for asking it.

Because if you mean Adrian, I would genuinely feel better if you posted your address so we could call the paramedics because I think you're about to go head first into a 10000 ft deep canyon made out of 100% pure uncut Columbian insanity. I would rather a baby alligator gnaw on my left hand the entire game than Adrian Martinez our QB over Lewis. ****braska sucks balls at every position but especially at QB. The last drive off the Illinois game, Martinez handed the ball off. When the camera panned over to frosty, you could read his lips, 'that's a ****ing pass!!!' Martinez is a fourth year player and he doesn't know the playbook... I would literally take darian hagan throwing left handed, combined with Montez s pocket presence as Brendan's starter kit before I took Adrian.
So, that's a no then. ok.

Yes. Glad to avoid the emergency medical. Thx for the clarification. I’m truly horrible with names, anyway. I once forgot my brother-in-law’s name while sitting in a golf cart with him for 18 holes.
But also my point was not to suggest I want any of the QB’s mentioned… AT ALL… only that they also have problems dealing with passing defenses…. And have reached their ceilings… but are (or were) more effective than Lewis early on (though, that’s not saying much).

Also… agree. Anything ****braska… sucks….

Will Chev continue coaching after CU? Or go into real estate or something like that? Serious question.

He will continue coaching.

Hawkins is the HC at UC-Davis. Dana Dimel is the HC at UTEP.

There will be a number of G5 or FCS programs that will be looking for a WR coach next season. Chev can sign on, make 100K or so, live in a nice apartment in a crappy town and wear his cap in the flat brim style. It will be the start of his re-tooling of his career as a WR coach and WR recruiter, which is his calling. Once he gates back to his actual skill set the odds are he can do very well, if he tamps down his ego.

Chev is just Peter-Principled out. Happens to a lot of people. A ghastly sight. See ya, Chev.

It is time to fire Chev. Dorrell should take over the playcalling role assisted by the QB coach until a replacemet can be found. The OC didn't call a game to help out his young QB.

It is time to fire Chev. Dorrell should take over the playcalling role assisted by the QB coach until a replacemet can be found. The OC didn't call a game to help out his young QB.
First off, no redshirt?

Second, what makes you think KD can be an effective play caller.

Third, fire Chev again, but with more fire, you can't be too safe.

Back