What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deion Sanders - HC Jackson State

Whew!

Prime's number one asset is his ability to bring people in to play/coach for him.
That asset will make the biggest difference at a program that is void the above. CU.
He doesn't have to be a coaching wizard to make CU a lot better quickly.

Not sure what his goal is from there. Is it a Jimbo Jumbo contract or exactly what? I'll take a quickie however.

coffee knocking GIF

Doosh alert article from The Athletic:

‐----------------

If Deion Sanders wins, scorched earth will become accepted strategy. That’s wrong.
There have been a number of fascinating storylines about Deion Sanders’ scorched-earth strategy at Colorado and upset of TCU, not the least of which is that it has given everybody something to talk about at a time when opening weeks are generally dominated by ranked teams’ lopsided games against checkbook opponents.

But there is one topic worth addressing, and it pertains to the big picture of where college football might be going: If Sanders proves to be successful, is this actually a good thing for college football, or are you OK with rosters annually becoming as disposable as baby wipes? Because if he continues to win, this won’t be a one-off situation. This will become the new normal. An accepted abnormal.

Athletes are limited to a one-time transfer. But there is no limit to how many coaches can do this, or how often they can do this. Sanders theoretically could do it again, if this goes sideways in a year or two. It’s not like players have the protection of long-term contracts (yet). It’s not like college football teams have to deal with a salary cap (yet). It’s not college athletes have a union to protect them (yet).

You might think, “Oh, come on. No other coach will have the chutzpah or be empowered to do what Deion is doing.”

Really? Have you been paying attention?

This has been a dizzying and nauseating time in college athletics. School presidents had long ago proven themselves to be far more about revenue streams and media rights deals than academics. But they’ve mutated into some unrecognizable species with conference Armageddon. It’s Monopoly with 6-year-olds. University mission statements, written long ago in far more innocent times, now are less believable than anything crafted by the Grimms.

Some established football coaches, even those who’ve embraced the transfer portal to patch holes and improve their team, may not feel inclined to detonate their rosters to the extent Sanders did (86 new players! 57 transfers!). But some who believe their program is on the edge of spiraling might feel desperate enough to take that extreme leap — and they will be given the blessing to do so by their administration. Younger coaches seeking to climb the ranks quickly will follow Sanders’ blueprint. So will high-profile/celebrity-level former athletes who will convince themselves that they, too, can capitalize on their Q Scores and have success despite little or no coaching experience.

Sanders has been a human spotlight since his playing days at Florida State. He carried that into his pro careers in the NFL and major-league baseball. His celebrity status transcended the sports he competed in. Living and working in Atlanta, I had a close-up view of it when he played for the Falcons and Braves. It was similar to that of Michael Vick. It was similar to Fernando Valenzuela when I lived in Los Angeles. It’s similar now with Shohei Ohtani. Sanders was a polarizing figure as an athlete, but he commanded people’s attention like few I’ve ever seen. Young fans gravitated toward him. Young athletes still do. It’s one reason he was able to convince the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Travis Hunter, to come to Jackson State (and then follow him to Colorado).

Sanders made an HBCU program a mainstream media story. He made a moribund program from a Power 5 conference relevant in about five minutes. Other coaches will convince themselves they can do the same. Other athletic directors and presidents will let them do it. Because, money.

Are you good with that? This might just be the last surviving remnants of old-schoolness left in me thinking. But it seems like next-level absurdity. I fully endorse an athlete’s freedom of movement, and certainly the right to earn an income from their name. But as unstable as the college football landscape has become, it’s going to morph into a real-life cartoon if coaches are permitted to obliterate their rosters. And they will.

Think about all the players who might be at a program for two or three years and are then told to leave. To be clear, coaches have passive-aggressively run off athletes for years. “You want to stay? Fine. But you’re not playing next season. But, hey, your choice.” But it has never been done to this degree, never so publicly and brazenly. Even the spinning moral compasses of college football coaches had accepted limits. Sanders ended that.

In Sanders’ defense, he didn’t make the rules. He only exploited a situation that rules allowed for, even if many who love college football didn’t find it palatable.

There are positives worth pointing out. Sanders is a success story as an African American coach. College football needs that, as does the NFL. Winning can open the door for others to be given opportunities. Also, the Colorado story has resonated with sports fans. As a general rule, attention is a good thing.

If Sanders can make this work, he gives hope to struggling programs that otherwise believe there’s no path to success, that they can’t recruit and keep pace with other programs with greater resources. Everybody loves a shortcut.

But as much as tradition and so much of what makes college football great has been obliterated by conference changes, this seems so much worse. There needs to be a line somewhere. There needs to be some protection for players and some level of preservation of human decency. Because if Sanders wins, his scorched-earth strategy won’t be the exception. It will be the blueprint.

I actually don’t find much wrong with it. The author tells no lies and it’s not a Prime hit piece; just an indictment on college football as a whole which is a joke at this moment.

True, but these crocodile tears about Prime doing what blue bloods have been doing for a couple years now, granted to a lesser extent, while nobody said a thing, is horsecrap. It's just typical SEC land hypocrisy.

Last edited:

‐----------------

If Deion Sanders wins, scorched earth will become accepted strategy. That’s wrong.
There have been a number of fascinating storylines about Deion Sanders’ scorched-earth strategy at Colorado and upset of TCU, not the least of which is that it has given everybody something to talk about at a time when opening weeks are generally dominated by ranked teams’ lopsided games against checkbook opponents.

But there is one topic worth addressing, and it pertains to the big picture of where college football might be going: If Sanders proves to be successful, is this actually a good thing for college football, or are you OK with rosters annually becoming as disposable as baby wipes? Because if he continues to win, this won’t be a one-off situation. This will become the new normal. An accepted abnormal.

Athletes are limited to a one-time transfer. But there is no limit to how many coaches can do this, or how often they can do this. Sanders theoretically could do it again, if this goes sideways in a year or two. It’s not like players have the protection of long-term contracts (yet). It’s not like college football teams have to deal with a salary cap (yet). It’s not college athletes have a union to protect them (yet).

You might think, “Oh, come on. No other coach will have the chutzpah or be empowered to do what Deion is doing.”

This has been a dizzying and nauseating time in college athletics. School presidents had long ago proven themselves to be far more about revenue streams and media rights deals than academics. But they’ve mutated into some unrecognizable species with conference Armageddon. It’s Monopoly with 6-year-olds. University mission statements, written long ago in far more innocent times, now are less believable than anything crafted by the Grimms.

Some established football coaches, even those who’ve embraced the transfer portal to patch holes and improve their team, may not feel inclined to detonate their rosters to the extent Sanders did (86 new players! 57 transfers!). But some who believe their program is on the edge of spiraling might feel desperate enough to take that extreme leap — and they will be given the blessing to do so by their administration. Younger coaches seeking to climb the ranks quickly will follow Sanders’ blueprint. So will high-profile/celebrity-level former athletes who will convince themselves that they, too, can capitalize on their Q Scores and have success despite little or no coaching experience.

Sanders has been a human spotlight since his playing days at Florida State. He carried that into his pro careers in the NFL and major-league baseball. His celebrity status transcended the sports he competed in. Living and working in Atlanta, I had a close-up view of it when he played for the Falcons and Braves. It was similar to that of Michael Vick. It was similar to Fernando Valenzuela when I lived in Los Angeles. It’s similar now with Shohei Ohtani. Sanders was a polarizing figure as an athlete, but he commanded people’s attention like few I’ve ever seen. Young fans gravitated toward him. Young athletes still do. It’s one reason he was able to convince the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Travis Hunter, to come to Jackson State (and then follow him to Colorado).

Sanders made an HBCU program a mainstream media story. He made a moribund program from a Power 5 conference relevant in about five minutes. Other coaches will convince themselves they can do the same. Other athletic directors and presidents will let them do it. Because, money.

Are you good with that? This might just be the last surviving remnants of old-schoolness left in me thinking. But it seems like next-level absurdity. I fully endorse an athlete’s freedom of movement, and certainly the right to earn an income from their name. But as unstable as the college football landscape has become, it’s going to morph into a real-life cartoon if coaches are permitted to obliterate their rosters. And they will.

Think about all the players who might be at a program for two or three years and are then told to leave. To be clear, coaches have passive-aggressively run off athletes for years. “You want to stay? Fine. But you’re not playing next season. But, hey, your choice.” But it has never been done to this degree, never so publicly and brazenly. Even the spinning moral compasses of college football coaches had accepted limits. Sanders ended that.

In Sanders’ defense, he didn’t make the rules. He only exploited a situation that rules allowed for, even if many who love college football didn’t find it palatable.

There are positives worth pointing out. Sanders is a success story as an African American coach. College football needs that, as does the NFL. Winning can open the door for others to be given opportunities. Also, the Colorado story has resonated with sports fans. As a general rule, attention is a good thing.

If Sanders can make this work, he gives hope to struggling programs that otherwise believe there’s no path to success, that they can’t recruit and keep pace with other programs with greater resources. Everybody loves a shortcut.

But as much as tradition and so much of what makes college football great has been obliterated by conference changes, this seems so much worse. There needs to be a line somewhere. There needs to be some protection for players and some level of preservation of human decency. Because if Sanders wins, his scorched-earth strategy won’t be the exception. It will be the blueprint.

MFer if you want to see some scorched earth, I dare you to watch every game the Buffs played last season.

True, but these crocodile tears about Prime doing what blue bloods have been doing for a couple years now, granted to a lesser extent, while nobody said a thing, is horsecrap. It's just typical SEC land hypocrisy.
I agree with that but as you said, even the blue bloods never did it to this extent (they haven’t really needed to since their recruiting has been pretty good), and Prime was very public about it.

The three social media channels recording everything every day was always meant to create some controversy

I agree with that but as you said, even the blue bloods never did it to this extent (they haven’t really needed to since their recruiting has been pretty good), and Prime was very public about it.

The three social media channels recording everything every day was always meant to create some controversy
Didn't Texas A&M pay their players like $9M last year? I think that is a much bigger issue that what has transpired at CU. Telling players they aren't going to play has been going on for years. Players can get paid and have the option to leave. The biggest concern is from the Blue Bloods who see their players going elsewhere and can't do anything to stop it. The hypocrisy is real

Totally disagree. For the first time, everyone’s intentions are clear.

I agree. Putting it all on social media was a masterstroke. Kids and parents can't go on social media and say they were lied to or that they were given false promises if the staff is broadcasting the expectations.

What I think is most hypocritical though is that this dude is sitting there in SEC land, where this **** has been happening for years, bemoaning things like conference realignment, which the SEC has been only second to the Big Ten in poaching schools, and talking **** about the school and coach that is nothing more than the inevitable culmination of all of this.

With conference realignment going on, we had to be bold asf. We were. We took a coach who knew how to work the system that was already in place. He flipped the script. We were the program getting picked apart. One of the reasons we were so devoid of talent is because schools like USC and Oregon took advantage of the current player situation to strip our talent away. So yeah, we had an FCS roster. Sitting in a conference that was a ticking time bomb. We were probably safe, but without Prime, with the worst program in P5, do we get a lifeline when the Pac-12 imploded? Maybe, maybe not.

So you'll have to excuse me if Mr Ivory Tower in Atlanta sounds like a big ****ing hypocrite, reaping the rewards of covering blue blood schools that have been bending and breaking the rules for years to get us to this point, while schools like CU have to take gigantic ****ing risks to try to stay relevant.

Also, if you're going to talk about flipping a roster for a quick turnaround, how about Texas State. They did what CU did, but without the platform of P5 and Coach Prime's celebrity. And they parlayed that into upsetting Baylor in the opener. It's a sound strategy and I'm still not understanding why it is "wrong" in any way.

If I am Rick George, I am going to the Boulder Chamber of Commerce and shaking them down for a major donation to the Keep Prime fund. This dude is gonna bring $100mm to the city this season alone.

‐----------------

This is funny, though.

‐----------------

The effect of all of this is that there will be increased parity in CFB. That is a good thing.

Yeah, there are dozens of incredibly dynamic icons who are coaching that will be able to go scorched earth on a roster and recruit from everywhere and turn things around instantly. Suuuure. Like, does that author thing the Trent Dilfer’s of the world can do what Coach Prime is doing? This is not a knock on Trent Dilfer, a media savvy pretty successful longtime NFL player making the jump to coaching. He isn’t Prime.

Back