What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Family reaction shots during games

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
We see a lot more of this during the big sporting events. I think it's because they've got a large audience of casual fans watching, so they look for dramatic storylines - they think the game isn't enough, apparently.

But has anyone ever been watching a game and thought, "I wonder how that mom/dad/spouse/sibling of the coach or player is reacting to what just happened?"

I don't know if I'm weird, because I've never had that thought and the repeat cutaways to the selected family member for that game annoys the fvck out of me.

How better to show the angst or euphoria, the emotional impact, of a sporting event than to show the reaction of those so highly impacted by the result?

I actually like watching family reactions during the Olympics.

olympics GIF by SB Nation

I'm good with showing positive reactions, like the families of coaches and players when they win. What I don't like is when they zoom in on crying parents/spouses/etc. Don't let a crying mom become a meme.
In moderation. It's when they decide, like they did with Garza's dad, that he was a main storyline. Every time anything happened, they'd cut to a reaction shot. It annoys me.

I thought this would be about the tequila shots you and Nikita do with the kids after a good play.

We see a lot more of this during the big sporting events. I think it's because they've got a large audience of casual fans watching, so they look for dramatic storylines - they think the game isn't enough, apparently.

But has anyone ever been watching a game and thought, "I wonder how that mom/dad/spouse/sibling of the coach or player is reacting to what just happened?"

I don't know if I'm weird, because I've never had that thought and the repeat cutaways to the selected family member for that game annoys the fvck out of me.
I like a lot of the mom and dad shots. They are people who seemingly did a great job raising their kid, and seeing them 'basking in the glow' is nice.

On the other hand, 20 shots of Nowell's brother wasn't appreciated.

In moderation. It's when they decide, like they did with Garza's dad, that he was a main storyline. Every time anything happened, they'd cut to a reaction shot. It annoys me.
Making it a storyline, NBC Olympic coverage style, annoys the f uck out of me too. I hate it in the olympics, I hate it in college sports coverage. As asides, space-fillers, and just a reaction to a great play, no problem. Elevating it to a storyline (even "minor" storyline) often makes me look for another game to watch.

Back