What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Phil DiStefano

Does anyone here remember what then CU President, Gordon Gee, said when asked why he was such an avid supporter of Buff Football. His answer, “When I watch football all I see is my budget running up and down the field”. He was President during many of the glory years. No other President has expressed this level of understanding since. We need another Gorden Gee.

The President role has changed at CU, since it is now a 4-campus system since Gordon Gee was here. You need a Gordon Gee, but in the Chancellor position

The President role has changed at CU, since it is now a 4-campus system since Gordon Gee was here. You need a Gordon Gee, but in the Chancellor position
Technically, it was a 4-campus system when Gee was here, too. He just paid a lot more attention to the Boulder campus than any of his predecessors did.

The Physical Education situation seems a further indicator of the CU institutional lack of any creative thinking. They don't want to sully our 'prestige' with an outdated idea of what P.E. is. Sure when Phil was a student a P.E. career involved very tight shorts, a whistle. cigarettes while watching kids in wife beaters climb the rope and run laps.
With two days of thought I could see that as an extension of the business school. A limited program, very much targeted to athletes, giving them skills to set up businesses for young athlete strength and skill training.
Just as the college football landscape and recruiting picture has changed dramatically in recent years, most of us 35 year olds wouldn't recognize the average prep athlete experience these days.
Kids are increasingly associating with, and seeking guidance from their third party coaches and mentors than their high schools. CU has a few visible alumni in this space locally, but we could be embracing and defining an industry - and lifting it up to our touted ideals - if anyone had any innovative thinking or ability to cut through the institutional paralysis.
The excuses and the 'we can't' statements still make my blood boil two days later. Anyone working outside academia know those are CLM statements (Career Limiting Moves)

Does anyone here remember what then CU President, Gordon Gee, said when asked why he was such an avid supporter of Buff Football. His answer, “When I watch football all I see is my budget running up and down the field”. He was President during many of the glory years. No other President has expressed this level of understanding since. We need another Gorden Gee.
Dr. Phil looks at the FB field and remembers being picked last for kickball.

The Physical Education situation seems a further indicator of the CU institutional lack of any creative thinking. They don't want to sully our 'prestige' with an outdated idea of what P.E. is. Sure when Phil was a student a P.E. career involved very tight shorts, a whistle. cigarettes while watching kids in wife beaters climb the rope and run laps.
With two days of thought I could see that as an extension of the business school. A limited program, very much targeted to athletes, giving them skills to set up businesses for young athlete strength and skill training.
Just as the college football landscape and recruiting picture has changed dramatically in recent years, most of us 35 year olds wouldn't recognize the average prep athlete experience these days.
Kids are increasingly associating with, and seeking guidance from their third party coaches and mentors than their high schools. CU has a few visible alumni in this space locally, but we could be embracing and defining an industry - and lifting it up to our touted ideals - if anyone had any innovative thinking or ability to cut through the institutional paralysis.
The excuses and the 'we can't' statements still make my blood boil two days later. Anyone working outside academia know those are CLM statements (Career Limiting Moves)

My spouse is doing a PhD at Duke University right now (not in PE).

Duke has a Physical Education program.

Does anyone want to argue that Duke is a less prestigious academic institution than CU?

For years, people at the University of Colorado at Boulder have speculated on when Chancellor Phil DiStefano might retire; the answer is “Never!” In fact, DiStefano passed away over seven years ago, but the University administration continues to function under his guidance or, more accurately, the leadership of eight DiStefano look-alikes who are hauled out for public view.
View attachment 54766
1664902994867.png

you forgot this pic

My spouse is doing a PhD at Duke University right now (not in PE).

Duke has a Physical Education program.

Does anyone want to argue that Duke is a less prestigious academic institution than CU?
CU is run by a bunch of lazy 110 IQ poseurs who are afraid of being found out so their default posture is to mimic what they believe to be the beliefs and attitudes of 140 IQ people. Hence, Phil the Chancellor. Hence, CU. In the better parts of the private sector the Phil Ds are exposed and expunged before they reach his age.

Last edited:
CU is run by a bunch of lazy 110 IQ poseurs who are afraid of being found out so their default posture is to mimc what they believe to be the beliefs and attitudes of 140 IQ people. Hence, Phil the Chancellor. Hence, CU. In the better parts of the private sector the Phil Ds are exposed and expunged before they reach his age.
You know, I was thinking about this. I was thinking that there’s absolutely no way in Hell that Phil would survive this long at most self respecting schools. The only reason he is still around is because the Boulder campus has been largely ignored by University leadership for the better part of 20 years.

CU is run by a bunch of lazy 110 IQ poseurs who are afraid of being found out so their default posture is to mimc what they believe to be the beliefs and attitudes of 140 IQ people. Hence, Phil the Chancellor. Hence, CU. In the better parts of the private sector the Phil Ds are exposed and expunged before they reach his age.
The Allbuffs word of the day is: Poseur.

This educational moment brought to you by @PAHIBuff.

These rules hes talking about vis a vis transfer credits applies to all students and goes all the way back to the 90s. You dont get full credit in most all cases. Except when state law kicks in (in state community college transfers)

The rules are old.

Not quite. I believe the NCAA's Progress Toward Degree rules went into effect in 2003. It's the combination of the two policies that is the killer for CU football. CU needed to revise their transfer credit policies to keep up, but they never did. Completely self-inflicted.

The credit problem only crept up when the transfer portal became a thing and then only when the One-time transfer rule was implemented. Before, it didn't make much difference as it was too costly for upperclassman to transfer due to having to sit a year, grad transfers didn't worry about credit transfer, and freshman/sophomore transfers didn't really have that many credits that would set them back significantly (most core 100 level type classes probably counted). Juco's were always an issue depending on if they got their AA and what the majority of the credits were in.

he didn't intentionally screw over our academic rankings, our athletic department, or manage to alienate the entire university community against him.

this is a case study in how dithering and trying to avoid pissing anyone off is actually one of the worst ways to make a decision.

an over promoted bureaucrat with little to no vision and no operational idea on how to execute on a plan... but none of this is evil intent on his part. he just sucks this bad.
A touch of a stretch: I watched the HBO series, Chernobyl. One of the most astonishing parts is how clearly the problem was created by the system of promoting, enabling uninspired, middling old men who will simply follow the “party line” over all reason and obvious fact.

All which makes me go……. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
On the question of how CU transfer credit policies related to PE courses differ from conference peers, Washington allows 3 quarter credits (equivalent to 2 CU semester credits) from PE activity courses (so stuff like bowling rather than classroom-based coursework), Arizona caps these at 3 semester credits, and Oregon allows up to 12 quarter (or 8 semester) credits combined for "vocational, technical, physical education, and music performance courses" (most universities refuse transfer credit for remedial and vocational coursework, along with doctrinal religious courses from private religious colleges and universities, but this was the only limit on music performance credits that I saw - CU does not appear to have any such limit). On the one hand, these aren't huge differences considered against the 120 credits needed to graduate or the 24 credits/year needed for athletics eligibility, and it doesn't support the idea student-athletes in the portal have been padding their eligibility requirements with a ton of these kinds of credits. But on the other, even a small difference might matter to potential transfers, especially to those student-athletes that are just maintaining eligibility at their current universities and would keep that eligibility by transferring those PE credits to our conference rivals but would find themselves 2-8 credits short of NCAA eligibility rules at CU. And this does show CU to be an outlier on the transfer of PE activity credits, which I had seen a lot of posts claim but nobody try to document.

While I'm here I may as well also mention that the issue at CU is not that it lacks a PE major. The need for an equivalent course at CU is only relevant for credit toward major or other gen ed requirements, not for elective credit toward graduation (or athletics eligibility). Of those schools mentioned above as accepting PE transfer credit, only Arizona has a PE major (Oregon has a PE program, but only offers activity courses, not a major, and Washington has neither). Not that this is the only transfer credit issue, or that changing the rule about PE activity credits might not have other obstacles (I don't know its history, but it couldn't be waived or changed only for athletes, as some here have suggested), but it is at least my understanding that nothing else would need to change in order to change that rule.

A touch of a stretch: I watched the HBO series, Chernobyl. One of the most astonishing parts is how the clearly problem was created by the system of promoting, enabling uninspired, middling old men who will simply follow the “party line” over all reason and obvious fact.

"We don't need to change transfer requirements in order to be competitive in the transfer portal" = "RBMK reactors don't explode"

CU is run by a bunch of lazy 110 IQ poseurs who are afraid of being found out so their default posture is to mimic what they believe to be the beliefs and attitudes of 140 IQ people. Hence, Phil the Chancellor. Hence, CU. In the better parts of the private sector the Phil Ds are exposed and expunged before they reach his age.
Boom!!

A touch of a stretch: I watched the HBO series, Chernobyl. One of the most astonishing parts is how clearly the problem was created by the system of promoting, enabling uninspired, middling old men who will simply follow the “party line” over all reason and obvious fact.

Bureaucracy is evil

On the question of how CU transfer credit policies related to PE courses differ from conference peers, Washington allows 3 quarter credits (equivalent to 2 CU semester credits) from PE activity courses (so stuff like bowling rather than classroom-based coursework), Arizona caps these at 3 semester credits, and Oregon allows up to 12 quarter (or 8 semester) credits combined for "vocational, technical, physical education, and music performance courses" (most universities refuse transfer credit for remedial and vocational coursework, along with doctrinal religious courses from private religious colleges and universities, but this was the only limit on music performance credits that I saw - CU does not appear to have any such limit). On the one hand, these aren't huge differences considered against the 120 credits needed to graduate or the 24 credits/year needed for athletics eligibility, and it doesn't support the idea student-athletes in the portal have been padding their eligibility requirements with a ton of these kinds of credits. But on the other, even a small difference might matter to potential transfers, especially to those student-athletes that are just maintaining eligibility at their current universities and would keep that eligibility by transferring those PE credits to our conference rivals but would find themselves 2-8 credits short of NCAA eligibility rules at CU. And this does show CU to be an outlier on the transfer of PE activity credits, which I had seen a lot of posts claim but nobody try to document.

While I'm here I may as well also mention that the issue at CU is not that it lacks a PE major. The need for an equivalent course at CU is only relevant for credit toward major or other gen ed requirements, not for elective credit toward graduation (or athletics eligibility). Of those schools mentioned above as accepting PE transfer credit, only Arizona has a PE major (Oregon has a PE program, but only offers activity courses, not a major, and Washington has neither). Not that this is the only transfer credit issue, or that changing the rule about PE activity credits might not have other obstacles (I don't know its history, but it couldn't be waived or changed only for athletes, as some here have suggested), but it is at least my understanding that nothing else would need to change in order to change that rule.
Nice to hear from you, Phil.

I kid. I kid.

He’s a roach. Of course he’d survive. He’s the guy in every office who bus rolls people at every opportunity so that he diverts attention away from him doing absolutely nothing.
Seriously. I sometimes wonder if the people who glorify the corporate world when compared to the government have actually ever worked for a corporation.

Click around 22 min into hour 3.
Klatt has some opinions that we all share. He seems to think CU might finally make changes.
Thanks for posting this. It would be interesting to hear "why" he thinks CU will change this other than just wishful thinking. PD's comments would contradict this in every sense.

Seriously. I sometimes wonder if the people who glorify the corporate world when compared to the government have actually ever worked for a corporation.
This. The symptoms they decry are often (not "always," but I'd say the percentage is north of 90) present in any organization larger than about 5-10 people.

And after you get to about 50 people, the percentage of organizations with those issues rapidly approaches 100%.

This. The symptoms they decry are often (not "always," but I'd say the percentage is north of 90) present in any organization larger than about 5-10 people.

And after you get to about 50 people, the percentage of organizations with those issues rapidly approaches 100%.
This.

Back