What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

Ok, like many of you I was at the game. I can't get my mind around the offensive play calling. Just call a play that assumes our OL will collapse. How about a screen Chiv? I have to say I've never understood what people saw in Chiv to begin with. (but then I am more of a power running offensive fan). His situation reminded me of the Neiheisal situation when we hired HIM. Everyone talked about how he was the next wunderkind and we'd look like idiots if we let him get away...well...we didn't. Chiv had a lot of the same, seemingly far too premature (also like Rick N.) kudos being thrown his way. Maybe he can recruit...I don't know. But with the results of the last game literally any high school coach in America could have equaled his zero points. Coming off of the 7 point output the game before and I just don't see what the guy brings to the table. Why keep him?

It's interesting how few coaching slots that KD actually filled on his own. He inherited Chev and Hagan and I don't believe he ever met anyone else on the offensive staff before the interview/introduction.

Ok, like many of you I was at the game. I can't get my mind around the offensive play calling. Just call a play that assumes our OL will collapse. How about a screen Chiv? I have to say I've never understood what people saw in Chiv to begin with. (but then I am more of a power running offensive fan). His situation reminded me of the Neiheisal situation when we hired HIM. Everyone talked about how he was the next wunderkind and we'd look like idiots if we let him get away...well...we didn't. Chiv had a lot of the same, seemingly far too premature (also like Rick N.) kudos being thrown his way. Maybe he can recruit...I don't know. But with the results of the last game literally any high school coach in America could have equaled his zero points. Coming off of the 7 point output the game before and I just don't see what the guy brings to the table. Why keep him?
Goes back to the fallacy that CU needs coaches with Buff ties because they “get” the unique challenges that the program faces.

He will continue coaching.

Hawkins is the HC at UC-Davis. Dana Dimel is the HC at UTEP.

There will be a number of G5 or FCS programs that will be looking for a WR coach next season. Chev can sign on, make 100K or so, live in a nice apartment in a crappy town and wear his cap in the flat brim style. It will be the start of his re-tooling of his career as a WR coach and WR recruiter, which is his calling. Once he gates back to his actual skill set the odds are he can do very well, if he tamps down his ego.

Chev is just Peter-Principled out. Happens to a lot of people. A ghastly sight. See ya, Chev.
I agree. What other job could he get to make 6 figures? Selling cars?
People with egos like this never turn it down.. the knob only turns one way.
I just hate that flat brim hat style.

When we hired Chev everyone was all excited about him bringing that high powered Texas Tech passing game to CU. Obviously he had nothing to do with that offense and didn’t learn much of anything under Kingsbury. Our offense is an ill prepared, under coached, disorganized cluster****.

When we hired Chev everyone was all excited about him bringing that high powered Texas Tech passing game to CU. Obviously he had nothing to do with that offense and didn’t learn much of anything under Kingsbury. Our offense is an ill prepared, under coached, disorganized cluster****.
Current offense isn’t Air Raid.

I think your last sentence is too generous.

Monday morning and Chev is still on staff. KD's inability to move quickly is going to get himself fired, with a quickness!

What if we hear KD say today…

In the best interest of the Buffs who he loves dearly, DC decided to relinquish his play calling duties”.

What if we hear KD say today…

In the best interest of the Buffs who he loves dearly, DC decided to relinquish his play calling duties”.
Only if KD follows that up by saying, Chev's responsibilities will be as WR coach and a focus s lead recruiter - anything less is futile and even demoting him and keeping Chev on staff is probably not in the best interest of he program (given his immature antics after Midnight Mell ran out the bldg and his obvious lack of ability to understand how to run an offense)

He has done it before. Badly, of course, but he has done it before.

Say, how is that OL depth looking these days?
If I could like and laugh the same post on here, I would. Like because it's so true, and laugh because CU is in the same **** with the OL depth as you've been saying for the last... how long has it been?

We don’t even know if his position group has looked all that bad. We have hardly seen them. Our leading WR on the SEASON is Aris with 4 catches for 45 yards, and we all know why; QB play. We know how talented Stanley and Rice and LMC and Shenault are. They didn’t all just stop being good.

Point being, I think there are a lot of coaches who would hire him as a WR coach, with expectation of recruiting, and some might hire him as RC as well. He’s valuable as a recruiter when he wants to be.
Right about the WR's suddenly being bad, which is why I question this as more of a Langsdorf Chev Rodrigue problem. I think BLew is getting the talent coached out of him. BLew is better than he's showing, he's in a bad situation and I don't think Carter is going to do better, all other things equal between the two.

Chev sucks as a play caller, and Langsdorg is micro-managing the **** out of Blew. Add in some ****ty Oline coaching and depth, and its the trifecta of sucky situations for BLew. Same **** is going to happen if we throw Carter behind center for a quarter or two.

I am curious if this new offensive scheme KD has likely installed is potentially a bigger part of the problem. I’m not saying last years offense was great by any stretch, but at no point did it ever look like this garbage.

We made fun of Chev for all the bubble screens and horizontal passing game in years past, but there’s really been none of that this year, which is why I feel like this is KD’s offense being forced on Chev. I’m not making excuses for Chev, but I’m just not seeing any kind of attempt to get Lewis easy completions on a consistent basis

I am curious if this new offensive scheme KD has likely installed is potentially a bigger part of the problem. I’m not saying last years offense was great by any stretch, but at no point did it ever look like this garbage.

We made fun of Chev for all the bubble screens and horizontal passing game in years past, but there’s really been none of that this year, which is why I feel like this is KD’s offense being forced on Chev. I’m not making excuses for Chev, but I’m just not seeing any kind of attempt to get Lewis easy completions on a consistent basis
Are you suggesting more bubble screens?

I don't think offensive system is relevant to the Chev conversation.

This is about orchestration, play calling and getting all the offensive staff & players on the same page. That's the OC job.

My lasting memory of Saturday was watching Nick Alioti throw his hands up over how predictable and poorly executed the CU offense is.

I have been a consistent HCKD defender, but if it is true that he is installing the West Coast offense I am off of the train.

College athletes do not have time or the skill to run that system effectevely. If he doesn't know that then he should be gone.

This is about orchestration, play calling and getting all the offensive staff & players on the same page. That's the OC job.

My lasting memory of Saturday was watching Nick Alioti throw his hands up over how predictable and poorly executed the CU offense is.
Heh. At some point in the third quarter, we had second down and 10. Whatever the first down play was got blown up. I said “and now watch, we will follow that up with a run off guard for two yards”. Sure enough.

I agree, but Lewis is clearly struggling to make even basic throws in this offense. Why? Are the reads too complicated? Is he being coached so hard not to make a mistake? Are the routes not developing fast enough? There has been no attempt to get him comfortable with anything quick and easy. Playcalling is truly an art, and the predictability is on Chev for sure, but he has never coordinated an offense this bad. There is definitely something with the scheme.

I have been a consistent HCKD defender, but if it is true that he is installing the West Coast offense I am off of the train.

College athletes do not have time or the skill to run that system effectevely. If he doesn't know that then he should be gone.
In truth, there are maybe 15 guys on the planet who can run an NFL offense really well as a QB. Even NFL teams have mostly gone away from it & installed college concepts for this reason. It's crazy to try to run an old school West Coast O on the college level.

In truth, there are maybe 15 guys on the planet who can run an NFL offense really well as a QB. Even NFL teams have mostly gone away from it & installed college concepts for this reason. It's crazy to try to run an old school West Coast O on the college level.
Enter Karl Dorrell. Do you believe he, RG and LC even had a conversation about the offensive scheme, style, philosophy? I am seriously questioning whether RG and LC actually did any due diligence on the specifics.

Back