What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

(From cubuffs.com) - "Sean Carlson Named Director of Cross Country and Track & Field"

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
I already noted in the https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/mark-wetmore-out.159345/ thread this coaching hire was a strong rumor earlier today , but now that it's official thought this deserved its own thread.

OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to Coach Carlson!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/7/25/sean-carlson-named-director-of-cross-country-and-track-field

"
By: Steve Hurlbert, Director of Athletics Strategic Communications

BOULDER – The storied University of Colorado cross country and track & field programs have a new leader as Sean Carlson has been named Director of Cross Country and Track & Field, Athletic Director Rick George announced today.

Carlson joins the Buffs from the University of Tennessee, where he served as Director of Men's and Women's Cross Country- Head Coach. Prior to his time in Knoxville, Carlson spent 10 years working his way up the coaching ranks at the University of Notre Dame. In four of the last five years with both institutions, he led teams to top-10 finishes at NCAA cross country championships, including a runner's up finish in 2020.

"We're so happy to welcome Sean Carlson to Boulder and the University of Colorado," said George. "At CU, we've got an elite running program and with Sean's history of success, I feel strongly that we've got an elite coach to lead our exceptional student-athletes."

Carlson brings an impressive record to Boulder, having directly coached 36 All-Americans, four NCAA individual champions, multiple NCAA record-holders, 12 ACC champions, three SEC champions, three Olympic trials finalists, and one Olympian. In 2021, he was named ACC Cross Country Coach of the Year after leading the Notre Dame men's team to an ACC title and a ninth-place finish in the NCAA championships.

"I am eager to work with the exceptional men and women at Colorado, helping them reach new heights and continue the university's tradition of excellence, as well as write the next chapter for Colorado cross country and track," said Carlson. "Additionally, I am also excited to join forces with Rick George as he leads Colorado into the Big 12 and navigates the evolving landscape of the NCAA."

As Director of Cross Country and Track & Field, Carlson will oversee all aspects of both the cross country and track programs, including recruiting, training, and coaching of student-athletes while also administering cross country and track assistant coaches and staff.

Carlson was also an athlete at Division III North Central College in Naperville, Illinois, helping the Cardinals to indoor and outdoor team NCAA Division III championships. At North Central College, he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Finance and Small Business Management and Entrepreneurship and a master's in leadership studies- Sports.
"

Love this tidbit in this article:

“Carlson is best known for his stint at Notre Dame from 2011-22, where he began as an assistant and worked his way up to men’s head coach of track & field and cross country, developing a reputation as a fierce recruiter.

interesting hire. if you go to letsrun.com there are varied opinions on him. Some think he will ge great and some dislike him intensely. imo he is a big time up an comer or a coach with red flags. He has had many transfers in his two years at Tenn and people think he works his athletes too hard. The thing is he recruits at a high level which MW and heather quit doing and most think they don't recruit at all in the past couple of years. He has also took ND and Tenn distance to heights that they had never seen. I am wait and see on this one.

He didn't commit to keeping the Malones in the article. I hope he keeps them.

I did not realize there are no male recruits for fall. Not going to get them at this point.

Back