What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game(s) Thread- Women's b-ball in Seattle for Pac 12 tourney- 2nd round vs. Oreg., Fri.,12:30 MT

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Wishing only the best to the team as they take on Utah this Thursday afternoon in the 1st round of the Pac 12 tourney at Seattle's KeyArena. (Per the Buffzone preview (http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_31694238/cu-womens-basketball-face-utah-first-pac-12), the winner of Thursday's game faces tournament #1 seed Oregon Friday at 12:30 PM MT.)

Beat the Utes!

For any Buff fans who live in or plan to be in Seattle for the game(s) -

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Cubuffs.com Preview-

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/2/27/w...peat-2015-teams-run-in-pac-12-tournament.aspx

"
BOULDER – As the Colorado's women's basketball team prepares for the Pac-12 Tournament this week, the team's five returners from last season are entering familiar territory. However, this season, they are looking for a different result.

CU's two seniors Brecca Thomas and Zoe Correal are the only two players on the roster who have advanced past the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament in their careers as the team has bowed out in the first round the past two seasons. They were part of CU's shocking run to the semifinals in 2015.

Head coach JR Payne is trying to prepare the team to take a different mentality from years past and go into the tournament with confidence, understanding that it is win or go home at this point in the season—there is no tomorrow when you lose.

There are certainly reasons to be confident: her team has been playing its best basketball of the season over the past month. Despite facing one of its toughest stretches of the schedule, CU has managed a 3-5 record in February, notable considering the Buffs went 1-7 in January.

"I feel like we really have gotten better in the last month or so, and not just on the court, but off the court and the way that we're playing for each other is significantly better," Payne said. "Our urgency is better, our execution is better at times. We're short on numbers [due to injuries] so everybody just has to step up and everybody has to do a little bit more and everybody has to play with that do-or-die mentality because that's really what it is at this point.

FIRST-ROUND OPPONENT UTAH
CU gets a very familiar opponent in the first round with Utah (19-10, 8-10 Pac-12) on Thursday. The two teams split two meetings this season and have actually split their past four meetings. CU earned a 69-65 win on Feb. 1 in Salt Lake City after falling behind 16-0 to start the game. Leonard tied a career high with 31 points in that game and Thomas scored 13 second-half points to lead the comeback. However, just three days later, the Utes got revenge with a 78-74 win in Boulder.

Utah is led by Megan Huff, a first-team all-conference selection. The 6-3 junior is averaging 14.5 points and 7.9 rebounds, both team bests, but she missed the past two games with an injury.

Senior Emily Potter, a 6-6 forward from Canada, averages 12.6 points and 7.6 rebounds, while shooting 50 percent from the floor with 53 blocked shots. Junior wing Daneesha Provo, another Canadian, is averaging 13.0 points and connects at a 43 percent rate from deep, but has missed the past three games due to injury.

With Huff and Provo out recently, freshman Tori Williams and senior Tilar Clark stepped up in their absence. Williams had 13 points in an overtime loss at No. 10 UCLA on Saturday and Clark had 12 points and six rebounds in an overtime loss at USC on Thursday.

Potter also raise her level of play last weekend, averaging 22.0 points and 12.0 rebounds in the two games.

Thursday's game will tip off at 12:30 p.m. MT at KeyArena in Seattle and will be televised on Pac-12 Networks.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Vs. Utah (Thursday, 12:30 PM MT start)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and National channels. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2018/03/01/colorado-vs-utah .

Live Audio - Buff's schedule doesn't list anything, but assume like other games, audio broadcast will be on Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcast also available for streaming via http://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1194&type=Live .

Live stats - (Can't find sure- thing link yet; looks like link MAY (???) become available before game time at http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/tournament.php?tid=206.)

Since the Buffs are 14-15, do we need to win 2 games to get to 16-16 in order to be eligible for NIT selection?

Since the Buffs are 14-15, do we need to win 2 games to get to 16-16 in order to be eligible for NIT selection?

Sounds like it- from the Buffzone article after the team's last loss to USC (http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_31692217/tough-second-half-dooms-cu-women-loss-usc)- "CU now heads to Seattle for the Pac-12 Tournament and needing to pull an upset to continue its season. To qualify for the Women's NIT, CU needs two wins in Seattle — against Utah and No. 1 seed Oregon."

(Not applicable in this case anyways, but did get me wondering in general what if any special rules there are related to Conference tournaments- do those tournament results ALWAYS HAVE to be included? What if the Buffs had come in at 15-15 and lost in the 1st round? Did a little searching and, per https://www.womensnit.com/event-info1.html , conference tournament games do always have to be included in the record - "Any team considered for an at-large berth must have an overall record of .500 or better. Overall record includes conference tournament games." )

Edit- Again, not applicable to this thread, but I'd forgotten that the Men's NIT does NOT have the .500 requirement. Wonder if the WNIT will change their rules at some point?

WNIT changed it rule a few years back. Prior to that change, at-large teams had to have an overall record of BETTER than .500. Now being AT .500 will get you in. The "automatic berth" teams can get in with a record under .500 but not the at-large teams. For Buffs to get the "automatic bid" they would need the 8 teams above them in the conference standings, including Utah, to be selected for the NCAA tourney. None of the bracket projections I have seen lately have Utah in the tourney, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wish I could say I'm optimistic, but just beating Utah would be an accomplishment. Oregon is very, very good this season (and will be for several more seasons). Don't see the Buffs challenging them - should they get to Friday.

Watched a video on Facebook last night of shoot around and Aubrey Knight was participating. Hope that means she is able to play today.

Surgery must be delayed until after season ends.

I wish I could say I'm optimistic, but just beating Utah would be an accomplishment. Oregon is very, very good this season (and will be for several more seasons). Don't see the Buffs challenging them - should they get to Friday.

Utah missing their second best player. We need to win this one.

Only negative in first half was Robinson going 1/9 but she does have 3 assists. I like the zone defense we are playing. Only 7 points in second quarter for Utah. I'm glad I'm retired so I can watch this.

Do they use the arc line under the basket for the block/charge in WBB? Because that charge they just called on Zoe was into a player set up at least a foot inside that arc.

Congrats Buffs! Beat the Ducks!

"
SEATTLE – JR Payne's Colorado Buffaloes left nothing to chance in their third matchup with Utah this year.

After splitting their regular-season series with the Utes — both close games — the ninth-seeded Buffs raced to a 66-56 win over No. 8 Utah on Thursday in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament at Key Arena.

The win lifted the Buffs into a Friday quarterfinal matchup with top seed Oregon, set to tip off at 12:30 p.m. (Pac-12 Networks).

"There's nothing to lose," said Payne, who earned her first Pac-12 tournament victory. "We're going to play hard, we're going to have fun and we're just going to get after it."

STAT LEADERS: Kennedy Leonard led the Buffs with 15 points, eight rebounds, five steals and four assists. Annika Jank chipped in 12 points to go with eight rebounds, Quinessa Caylao-Doadded 11 points, three assists and three rebounds and Zoe Correal had 10 points and four rebounds.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs dominated Utah in the paint, outscoring them 38-18. … CU also outscored Utah 25-15 in points off turnovers, as Colorado forced 19 Utah miscues. … Colorado also held a 12-2 edge in steals.

NOTEWORTHY: The Buffs are now 3-0 in the first round as the No. 9 seed in the Pac-12 Tournament. … It was CU's first Pac-12 tourney win since 2015. … Colorado has now won three of its last five games.

UP NEXT: The Buffs face top-seed Oregon on Friday in a 12:30 p.m. quarterfinal game at Key Arena.

POSTGAME QUOTES: "Honestly I don't know what it means. I've never had the experience before. I hate just sitting there watching it. Having the chance to come out here and play a top-seeded team means the world to us." CU junior Kennedy Leonard on getting her first Pac-12 tournament win

"We played hard and we played together. We got down a little, up a little — we knew it would be sort of up and down. But our effort was tremendous. Our defense created offense and I'm really proud of our team today." CU coach JR Payne

"We'd played them twice this year and were separated by three or four points.I think we were just coming out here, putting our foot on their throat and not letting up when we got a little lead."Leonard on CU's mentality

"Towards the end of the second quarter things started opening up for us. Then we knew we just needed to be more aggressive. We knew Utah would come out aggressive so we knew we needed to punch first. We just went on that run." CU's Quinessa Caylao-Do
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - http://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=11264

Beating Utah...brings a smile to my face. Congrats ladies!

I listened to Cory Lopez interview Coach Barry during half time yesterday. He was talking about her Hall of Fame induction and asked her if she ever thought she would be going to the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame when she first arrived at Colorado. Her response: The Hall of Fame didn't exist when I arrived.

She then talked about the fun we all had going to the Big 8 tournaments in Salina Kansas. She didn't mention the bus trips, but CU sponsored bus trips to Salina. Hungover Chip and cheerleaders usually rode home with us. Every year, we got to travel across I-70 on icy roads. The first year when we got to Kansas, I-70 was closed. The bus driver got off and kept on towards Salina on a two lane highway. We got to Salina after midnight. The bus driver requested the trip after the first year.

Those trips were fun. They never did any to Kansas City or Dallas.

Let's go Buffs!

Broadcast just started on PACN. Tipping off in a few minutes.

stop-stop-were-already-dead.jpg

Oregon played arguably their best game of the year (UConn level). Bigger, faster, stronger and couldn’t miss today. Buffs return 4 starters and top 5 scorers. Lots to build on in addition to adding two potential starters. A solid post puts us into the NCAA Tourney next year.

Oregon played arguably their best game of the year (UConn level). Bigger, faster, stronger and couldn’t miss today. Buffs return 4 starters and top 5 scorers. Lots to build on in addition to adding two potential starters. A solid post puts us into the NCAA Tourney next year.

Agree but a solid post is going to be tough to get this late for next year. Maybe we get lucky with a graduate transfer or a player from overseas. I think we start Mya at the post and Jank at the 4. We will have Kennedy and Lexi as the guards obviously.

Do we have a solid post? Not that I see at this point. Mya will be putting in time on the weights and be much improved next season but she isn't built to play post in the Pac 12

Good job by the players and staff still on the team to do what they did this year. They lost a very good starter due to personal reasons and another one due to transfer in the offseason and had to play 3 FR a lot. Hoping for big improvement next year. .500 in the conference will be hard but it should be the goal next year.

It looks like there is a third post-season tourney for WBB ... the Women's Basketball Invitational. It's a 16 team tourney and doesn't seem to have the .500 or better record requirement that the WNIT has. Does anyone have any idea if the Buffs would accept an invitation if they were to get one?? Some level of post-season win-or-go-home tourney action, against teams other than the PAC-12, might be beneficial for this team.

Back