What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- LACROSSE hosts San Diego State University (Friday, 4/7/23, 1:00 PM MT; Pac 12 stream)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
After a couple weeks on the road (their last home game was March 19th), LACROSSE (5-5 overall. 4-1 in conference play) takes a slight detour from Pac 12 play as they host former (and potentially future?) conference foe San Diego State (5-8, 0-0) tomorrow (Friday) afternoon beginning at 1:00 PM MT.

The game is scheduled to be available to view on a free live stream. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/4/4/lacrosse-buffs-return-home-to-host-san-diego-state.aspx

"
BOULDER - The Colorado women's lacrosse team hosts the San Diego State Aztecs this Friday at 1 p.m. MT.

The Buffs (5-5, 4-1) have been on a roll since entering conference play, winning four out of their last five games, including a thrilling 17-15 victory over Stanford at home.

Since defeating Stanford and Cal at home on the same weekend, the Buffs have been on the road for the last two weeks.

During that time, Charlie Rudy has become the top scorer in the Pac-12 with 37 goals this season. Rudy has had a hat trick in nine out of ten games this year, including a hat trick in the first quarter of the Buffs' last two games.

Sixth-year graduate student Sam McGee has also been on a scoring run. At third in the Pac-12 in goals with 30, McGee set a single-game high for the Buffs with six goals against Arizona State. Most recently, McGee scored four goals against Oregon.

The Buffs have never lost to SDSU in the program's history and are on an eight game winning streak over the Aztecs.

During the game at Kittredge Field, CU is pairing with Out Boulder to honor inclusivity for all and to celebrate Pride.

The Aztecs

San Diego State (5-8) hasn't won a road game yet this season, earning all five of their victories at home.

The Aztecs and the Buffs have already faced off against some similar opponents this year, with varying results. The Buffs' first season win came against Ohio State University in a 14-10 victory; San Diego State fell to OSU 10-4. Meanwhile, both teams defeated California and both squads lost to USC, although the Buffs lost to the Trojans by only a four point margin while SDSU lost by nine.

For San Diego State, senior attacker Deanna Balsama has established herself as the Aztecs' top-scorer by a wide margin and has already earned 40 goals this season.The next closest scorer on the team is Caitlin Jones with 14 goals.

The Buffs will aim to extend their winning streak to three at home this Friday at 1 p.m.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on SDSU:

Roster
- https://goaztecs.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster
Stats - https://goaztecs.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/stats?path=wlax
Schedule - https://goaztecs.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule/2023
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video -
Game is scheduled to be available on a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs .

Link to link to live stats (All games) - https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo (If I think of it, I will add direct link when it becomes available.)

Game Notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/4/4/2023_CU_Lacrosse_Games_Notes_-_4.7_-vs._SDSU.pdf

Can we please get a non-conference win? (against a future Pac-12 member)

SkoBuffs!

Buffzone notes/ preview for tomorrow's game.

One note I hadn't heard before. Quoting the article, regarding the Aztecs being a potential future conference-mate, sounds like it might be planned no matter what happens in general with conference realignment(s), at least for lacrosse - "...San Diego State, along with UC Davis, agreed last year to become affiliate members of the Pac-12 for women’s lacrosse beginning no later than the 2023-24 season..."

Assume this is, if for no other reason, to replace USC when they leave so that the Pac 12 will still have at minimum the 6 teams required to have an automatic berth in the NCAA tourney. I believe since the Pac 12 started its lacrosse conference a few years ago, both SDSU and UC-Davis have become and stayed independent, so assume it would be relatively easy for them to join the Pac. (Both teams were in the MPSF with the Buffs before it disbanded after the Pac 12 got its 6th team (ASU) a few years ago.) I also believe SDSU has already been in the Pac 12 for many years in men's soccer, again I believe to get the conference to 6 teams.

Last edited:
Buffzone notes/ preview for tomorrow's game.

One note I hadn't heard before. Quoting the article, regarding the Aztecs being a potential future conference-mate, sounds like it might be planned no matter what happens in general with conference realignment(s), at least for lacrosse - "...San Diego State, along with UC Davis, agreed last year to become affiliate members of the Pac-12 for women’s lacrosse beginning no later than the 2023-24 season..."

Assume this is, if for no other reason, to replace USC when they leave so that the Pac 12 will still have at minimum the 6 teams required to have an automatic berth in the NCAA tourney. I believe since the Pac 12 started its lacrosse conference a few years ago, both SDSU and UC-Davis have become and stayed independent, so assume it would be relatively easy for them to join the Pac. (Both teams were in the MPSF with the Buffs before it disbanded after the Pac 12 got its 6th team (ASU) a few years ago.) I also believe SDSU has already been in the Pac 12 for many years in men's soccer, again I believe to get the conference to 6 teams.

Brings up the point of MSOC and maybe the conference would help fund CU adding a team to keep auto bid status with us losing members.

The Buffs' defense (which includes usual backup goalie Heintz getting some valuable playing time as today's starter) pitch a shutout in the 2nd quarter and are up 9-2 at the half.

This team keeps getting better. Real opportunity to win the conference.

nice win today. SDST is a physical team. Zoe M. has really improved on draw controls. She was getting killed early in the season. it is also nice to see them score without Rudy and Sam having to carry the offense. Lots of people had a goal today

Article after yesterday's win (in front of maybe the game of the year this coming Friday vs. the Trojans). - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/4/7/lacrosse-buffs-cruise-past-aztecs-in-pride-game.aspx

"
Game Recap: Lacrosse | April 07, 2023 | by Colin Wagner, Athletic Communication Office

Buffs Cruise Past Aztecs in Pride Game​

BOULDER – Back at home, Colorado Lacrosse picked up its third straight win after defeating San Diego State 17-4 here Friday afternoon in Colorado's annual Pride Game.

The Buffaloes (6-5, 4-1 Pac-12) were able to stay hot with the dominant victory over the Aztecs (5-9), now winning five of their last six games and their third straight at home.

"Coming off the road stretch where we went to USC, Arizona State and then to Oregon we didn't feel like we were really playing that well, especially defensively and especially just in general as a team," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "In practice this week we focused on just playing as a team. We know we're capable, but just getting back to some of the basics, playing as a team and coming out here with that kind of attitude, I thought they did a pretty good job overall, which was good."

Colorado had a great day on the draw, winning 20 draws compared to SDSU's five. Those wins allowed the Buffs to create possessions on the offensive end which turned into 42 shots, 27 of which were on goal.

CU was firing on all cylinders throughout the entire game, scoring within the first minute in each of the first three quarters. Sam McGee and Charlie Rudy continued their offensive productivity, accounting for more than half of the team's goals. McGee put the ball in the back of the net five times while Rudy picked up her 10th hat trick of the season.

The defense was a force this afternoon, allowing just 12 total shots the entire game and causing eight Aztec turnovers. Danielle Heintz got the start in net today for the Buffs and she put together a solid performance, racking up six saves on 10 shots on goal.

Colorado Lacrosse will look to continue its success next Friday in a tough matchup in Boulder against USC. The Trojans got the best of the Buffs in their last meeting in March, winning 17-13.

"It's going to be a battle for us. In general, they're very well coached; we struggled defensively. They're really hard to play defense against. All of their players can put the ball in the back of the net. They're all a threat, but we got to do a better job defensively," Whidden said about Southern Cal.

"There [at USC], we did a good job on the draws. We have to find a way to do another good job to give ourselves possession. And just in general, we have to handle pressure better. We didn't do a good job of that at USC and so if we can do those things, I think we'll be okay."

UP NEXT:

Colorado Lacrosse will face off against USC in Boulder on Friday, April 14th at 4:00 p.m. MT.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wlax&id=16237

By the way, I was curious, so found the SDSU article announcing they were joining (along with UC Davis) the Pac 12 for lacrosse next (winter 2024) season (see link below.)

Among MANY other things in my life, looks like I was wrong in post #3 guessing this was maybe related to USC (UCLA doesn't field a lacrosse team) leaving the conference, as the article's date (5/31/22) predates when the first news came out (at the end of June) that the USC and UCLA "brain trust" decided to bolt.

SDSU article - https://goaztecs.com/news/2022/5/31/general-sdsu-lacrosse-set-to-join-pac-12.aspx

Back