What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- MEN'S BBALL ends the regular season hosting Utah (SENIOR DAY; Saturday, 3/4/23, 3:30 PM MT; Pac 12 Network)

Media after today's W:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/4/mens-basketball-buffs-top-utah-in-regular-season-finale.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado's Julian Hammond III stepped in for KJ Simpson to score 15 points and Nique Clifford recorded his first career double-double Saturday to lead the Buffaloes to a 69-60 win over Utah in the regular season finale at the CU Events Center.

Tad Boyle's Buffs improved to 16-15 overall and 8-12 in Pac-12 play while Utah fell to 17-14, 10-10.

The Buffs finish as the No. 9 seed in the conference standings and will face No. 8 Washington in the Pac-12 tourney opener Wednesday in Las Vegas at 1 p.m.

The winner will play top seed UCLA on Thursday at 1 p.m.

Simpson, CU's starting point guard, missed the game but sophomore Hammond finished with a career-high five assists, five steals and three rebounds to go with his 15 points. Clifford finished with his first career double-double, scoring 14 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. Regular starter Tristan da Silva came off the bench to score 15 points.

NEXT UP: The Buffs finished ninth in the Pac-12 and will open play next Wednesday in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas against No. 8 Washington at 1 p.m. The winner will face top seed UCLA on Thursday in a 1 p.m. game.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=16076

So this was the closest I've sat in a long time. I'm usually way up at the top.

Something that struck me was how big LOB is, and while not quite as much as LOB, Nique is much bigger than he was when he came to Boulder. Then I think of how Battey went from just doughy to still doughy but muscular also when he was here. Which leads me to Lovering. Obviously the program has the ability to make players bigger and stronger, and I have no reason to believe that Lawson hasn't been trying. But holy smokes does he get pushed around. It's actually amazing how well he does defensively considering how he gets moved around by opposing players.

Is this the point where we say, yep, this is his ceiling? Which is not to say he's not a great defensive player, he was excellent today, but offensively we're generally playing with 4. Even his screens are mostly crap.

So this was the closest I've sat in a long time. I'm usually way up at the top.

Something that struck me was how big LOB is, and while not quite as much as LOB, Nique is much bigger than he was when he came to Boulder. Then I think of how Battey went from just doughy to still doughy but muscular also when he was here. Which leads me to Lovering. Obviously the program has the ability to make players bigger and stronger, and I have no reason to believe that Lawson hasn't been trying. But holy smokes does he get pushed around. It's actually amazing how well he does defensively considering how he gets moved around by opposing players.

Is this the point where we say, yep, this is his ceiling? Which is not to say he's not a great defensive player, he was excellent today, but offensively we're generally playing with 4. Even his screens are mostly crap.
LL looks a lot bigger this year to me than last year. But I've just seen him on TV. His shoulders and legs look a lot thicker. But yeah, he's still got a way to go.

LL looks a lot bigger this year to me than last year. But I've just seen him on TV. His shoulders and legs look a lot thicker. But yeah, he's still got a way to go.

You could be right, maybe it's where he was coming from as opposed to where LOB et al were.

I'm sure Tennessee fans have looked at our scores this season and been like, wtf?

Big props to the guys who played today. They played their asses off and played well. Julian was good. Nique was good. LOB and Lawson did what they do. Tristan gritted through it and played well. Really impressed with the effort.

Utah was terrible. I don’t know how they beat Arizona.
Utah’s roster is a 12 win team max. No idea how they won 17. 😲

I think LL has gotten a lot tougher mentally. For whatever reasons, last night I thought he looked tougher - the look on his face. With 25 more pounds, he'll be very good.

Can a guy like QA play in a summer league? Get back to the basics, gain some confidence.
He got stripped, like a HS kid last night. And, he has to be feeling a little inept, after this season.

I'd bet the opposite. IMO, he might leave, but Tad will not run him off
I am as big of QA fan as anyone on the board. Listen, he has been here for 2 years. And we have seen what can he do when he is on the court. He might becomes a completely different player over night, but I won't count on that.

Tad has to hit the portal very hard this off-season, and he needs some headcounts to be freed. Otherwise I'm afraid we are gonna see another mediocre team next year

Still can't believe Tad went 40 minutes with a zone. In the first half it really threw Utah for a loop. They couldn't score inside and their treys were bricks.

I presume the decision to go with the zone had to do with the KJ being injured and TDS not being 100%. Staying in the zone kept CU out of foul trouble.

Hammond with the best game of is career? He was in control and in charge. Very few bad decisions and he was hitting his shots.

TDS got his mojo back after struggling v UCLA.

It was a game of treys. CU was hitting them in thee first half while Utah wasn't. Utah, in the second half, got themselves back in the game with treys. Fortunately, they ran out of steam while CU was making their free throws.

Back