What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - NIT- Basketball at Texas (Wednesday, 3/27, 7:00 PM MT)

So much to be excited for next year. Assuming no major injuries, anything short of a top 4 conference finish and a NCAA bid will be a big disappointment.

But I’ve been saying it for 4-5 years ... until this program finds a reasonably consistent 2 guard, we’ll never take the next step. Gatling just isn’t it ... he can’t break down anyone off the dribble and his outside shooting is below average, with occasional great games. Kountz might get there, and who knows about Parquet. But that’s the key IMO.

No
Shut up with that ****

This is why we can't have nice things
He should absolutely put his name into the draft system to get the feed back. They will, in all likelihood, tell him to stay in college and work on XYZ. If by some outside chance he gets a 1st round grade, then he should absolutely leave. Tad would tell him the same thing.

He should absolutely put his name into the draft system to get the feed back. They will, in all likelihood, tell him to stay in college and work on XYZ. If by some outside chance he gets a 1st round grade, then he should absolutely leave. Tad would tell him the same thing.

I do not think he gets anything above a 55-65 player range. He has future lottery potential no doubt, but just developing inside game and shot, needs more muscle, and other tools. IF, we make a deep deep run next year, then god bless him and I would root for him to go pro!

Kountz is a really solid player, love his game.

Siewart and Gatling need to get their 3 point shooting locked back in, terrible final stretch.

This whole team needs weight room strides to strengthen up for a big season

I do not think he gets anything above a 55-65 player range. He has future lottery potential no doubt, but just developing inside game and shot, needs more muscle, and other tools. IF, we make a deep deep run next year, then god bless him and I would root for him to go pro!

Kountz is a really solid player, love his game.

Siewart and Gatling need to get their 3 point shooting locked back in, terrible final stretch.

This whole team needs weight room strides to strengthen up for a big season
The one guy with a nice big muscular frame on the team is Parquet, and he's a freshman. I don't think Bey needs any weight. He's going to be defending the perimeter at the next level. He's already 215 or so.

The one guy with a nice big muscular frame on the team is Parquet, and he's a freshman. I don't think Bey needs any weight. He's going to be defending the perimeter at the next level. He's already 215 or so.
Not necessarily more weight, but he needs more strength.

Why, really? He needs to work on his game, if he wants to get paid. He does some things well, lot of work to be special.
He’ll probably do it, just a way of making a statement about where he’s headed and getting a little more publicity. But no doubt will be a Buff this Fall.

Parquet is "muscular" ?

I'd say Dombek has the best frame for added size

Why, really? He needs to work on his game, if he wants to get paid. He does some things well, lot of work to be special.
They'll likely tell him things we already can see. He needs to extend his range beyond the 3 point line. Work on his ball handling. Work on being a more willing passer. Defend without fouling.

Never hurts to hear what you're lacking directly from your future employers.

Parquet is "muscular" ?

I'd say Dombek has the best frame for added size
Parquet looks like a football player compared to most of his teammates. At least he did the last couple games. I assume he probably put on some weight while being down with the injury.

Plus he's listed just under 200 lbs, and I'd bet he's a little over 200 right now.

Here's my key question for Boyle's program - same question I have every year.

Why are Boyle's teams consistently so poor on the road, and so good at home? Without the incredible home court advantage, CU would be struggling to get to 0.500 every year. On the other hand, if they could win a few more road games, they would be in the NCAA tourney nearly every year.

Is it simply opponents getting tired at the end of games in Boulder? Does not seem to apply to Utah, which also lacks the advantage of altitude away from SLC, but is a far better road team than CU every year.

Why are Boyle's teams consistently so poor on the road, and so good at home? Without the incredible home court advantage, CU would be struggling to get to 0.500 every year. On the other hand, if they could win a few more road games, they would be in the NCAA tourney nearly every year.

Is it simply opponents getting tired at the end of games in Boulder? Does not seem to apply to Utah, which also lacks the advantage of altitude away from SLC, but is a far better road team than CU every year.
I don't buy the home court advantage being the key

In most of our home wins, I'd say that we get out to an early lead and hold it for the game. Very seldom (not never) do we hang on until the end and wait for them to get tired.

Similarly, in our road losses, especially the bad ones, we tend to suck giant donkey balls for the first half or more. Way too much. It's a mental thing, and for whatever reason, Tad hasn't figured it out. We should still hold a conditioning advantage, even at sea level. but we don't / we don't try to take advantage.

it turned out to be a fun season, although i do wish they'd have won one more to get into the semi's. and they should have a lot of guys back, right? next year could be really fun.

Main thing, I think they could have a special year. Don't know them, other than what I've read or seen. Question is, what do they want out of this?

It's like this for a majority of teams across the country. It is just difficult to win on the road. Always has been and always will be. To win on the road you have to have the right mindset and group of players. You gotta play under control and not turn the ball over especially on multiple possessions. You don't rush shots, and you minimize your 3-point opportunities and instead drive the lanes, creating fouls and higher percentage opportunities.

I really like Tad Boyle. I do think he is a quality coach and has a good looking group of players that will grow and learn from this. Next season CAN BE better but they still will need to clean up a lot of things.

However, there are other things that bug me more than games like tonight vs Texas. What bugs me more is how Tad's teams seem to -every year- find a way to lose those 2 or 3 games to teams that they have no business losing to. Like this year vs Indiana St, Hawaii, and the home loss to Oregon State. In my mind those are "unacceptable" losses. Tad's teams always seem to find a way to lose multiple games of this nature and these losses really sting by seasons end.
Furthermore, his teams have a tendency to play out of control, mindless, and undisciplined a lot and the coaches fail to realize the obvious very often. Like when the team "often" is caught up jacking up lazy "missed" 3-pointers and otherwise playing one on one basketball while everyone is standing around. I often wonder how a coach can possibly let that type of play go on for more than a possession or two? That's not how you get things under control. You instead drive the lane, dish it off, create fouls, and look for high percentage shots. It's ridiculous at times!

Last edited:
It's like this for a majority of teams across the country. It is just difficult to win on the road. Always has been and always will be. To win on the road you have to have the right mindset and group of players. You gotta play under control and not turn the ball over especially on multiple possessions. You don't rush shots, and you minimize your 3-point opportunities and instead drive the lanes, creating fouls and higher percentage opportunities.

I really like Tad Boyle. I do think he is a quality coach and has a good looking group of players that will grow and learn from this. Next season CAN BE better but they still will need to clean up a lot of things.

However, there are other things that bug me more than games like tonight vs Texas. What bugs me more is how Tad's teams seem to -every year- find a way to lose those 2 or 3 games to teams that they have no business losing to. Like this year vs Indiana St, Hawaii, and the home loss to Oregon State. In my mind those are "unacceptable" losses. Tad's teams always seem to find a way to lose multiple games of this nature and these losses really sting by seasons end.
Furthermore, his teams have a tendency to play out of control, mindless, and undisciplined a lot and the coaches fail to realize the obvious very often. Like when the team "often" is caught up jacking up lazy "missed" 3-pointers and otherwise playing one on one basketball while everyone is standing around. I often wonder how a coach can possibly let that type of play go on for more than a possession or two? That's not how you get things under control. You instead drive the lane, dish it off, create fouls, and look for high percentage shots. It's ridiculous at times!
You could see last night and against Norfolk St how sloppy the play was. Tyler Bey has looked like he’s been in a funk for a while; even with the double doubles. They beat NS by run and gun. When they needed to slow it down the rush of shots and no one under the basket killed them. I think the team played all year, with the exception of the outliers, well. I’m proud of what they did and how they jelled as a team.

I’ll repeat my contention...to win consistently on the road you have to be significantly better than your opponent. Actually there seems to be a little improvement there - sweeping the LA schools was big, even if they’re lousy.

it turned out to be a fun season, although i do wish they'd have won one more to get into the semi's. and they should have a lot of guys back, right? next year could be really fun.

you will be expected to attend the Bay Area games next season, or consequences.....

Back