What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- WBB hosts Dartmouth (Monday, 12/11, 7:00 PM)

damn is the word. Only thing they can do is learn from it and get ready for Air Force as they take they finals.

Not a good game by anyone except Jank, imo. Jank needs her teammates to help her.

Looked to me like the Buffs were taken aback when Dartmouth kept fighting hard to start the fourth quarter and the Buffs couldn't respond with anything close to the intensity that Dartmouth was showing. CU defense was poor in Q4 and their shooting was dismal as they could not handle the pressure coming from Dartmouth. Pretty much gave in to panic mode which doesn't win BB games.

Bad loss. Hopefully they learn from it and improve.

Looked to me like the Buffs were taken aback when Dartmouth kept fighting hard to start the fourth quarter and the Buffs couldn't respond with anything close to the intensity that Dartmouth was showing. CU defense was poor in Q4 and their shooting was dismal as they could not handle the pressure coming from Dartmouth. Pretty much gave in to panic mode which doesn't win BB games.

Bad loss. Hopefully they learn from it and improve.
And that should absolutely never happen at hope, particularly with a team that traveled so far and came from sea level.

Should not have happened. Team didn't play well as a team the entire game. Almost looked like they expected Dartmouth to be winded in the 4th and that didn't happen.

Was at the game last night. Like more who post here, I expected a win and in fact told my family CU could win the the 20-30 point range. Obviously I was incorrect.

Dartmouth was not small - they had numerous players in the 6-2 to 6-3 range who had talent and some athleticism. Their point guard, Cy Lippold, was the layer of the game. In the fourth quarter the Buffs had no answer for all 5-2 of her. She controlled the tempo and was the instigator of the Big Green's offense. So the individual talent for them was good, but what won the game was their ability to make the Buffs play at less than breakneck pace. By forcing CU to play a lot of half court offense and defense they were able to win the game mentally.

CU just doesn't feel comfortable defending for long stretches in the half court and certainly struggles on offense when Kennedy can't consistently penetrate and dish or get a layup. Like last season, they aren't a good half court team. It didn't help that for much of the game there were almost no shots made from outside of about 10 feet. And many of them were good shots. Kennedy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and neither could anyone else except . . . Jank.

CU really can struggle to defend when they play man-to-man. Dribble penetration is too easy and then there are the open shots from the perimeter. Last night Dartmouth was getting a lot of open looks in the first quarter and fourth. They put just about everyone on Lippold and no one was consistently effective.

The Buffs are more talented than last season, what they need now is to get mentally tough when they are forced out of their comfort zone.

Was at the game last night. Like more who post here, I expected a win and in fact told my family CU could win the the 20-30 point range. Obviously I was incorrect.

Dartmouth was not small - they had numerous players in the 6-2 to 6-3 range who had talent and some athleticism. Their point guard, Cy Lippold, was the layer of the game. In the fourth quarter the Buffs had no answer for all 5-2 of her. She controlled the tempo and was the instigator of the Big Green's offense. So the individual talent for them was good, but what won the game was their ability to make the Buffs play at less than breakneck pace. By forcing CU to play a lot of half court offense and defense they were able to win the game mentally.

CU just doesn't feel comfortable defending for long stretches in the half court and certainly struggles on offense when Kennedy can't consistently penetrate and dish or get a layup. Like last season, they aren't a good half court team. It didn't help that for much of the game there were almost no shots made from outside of about 10 feet. And many of them were good shots. Kennedy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and neither could anyone else except . . . Jank.

CU really can struggle to defend when they play man-to-man. Dribble penetration is too easy and then there are the open shots from the perimeter. Last night Dartmouth was getting a lot of open looks in the first quarter and fourth. They put just about everyone on Lippold and no one was consistently effective.

The Buffs are more talented than last season, what they need now is to get mentally tough when they are forced out of their comfort zone.

Basketball is a complex game but the biggest factor is putting the ball in the basket. Our backcourt is supposed to be able to do that and they shot very poorly. If they can't hit shots against beatable teams in the PAC 12, we will barely make the NIT. Not having Caylao-Do clearly hurts as we have to depend too much on FR. Bunn needs to stay out of trouble.

We all know that a team can't win in the Pac relying on one player, like Jank. That is unless you have Kelsey Plum, which we don't.

In games when the shooting isn't there you can give yourself a chance by defending well and rebounding. CU did neither at a high level.

Last season and so far this season I haven't been impressed with CU's man defense. It's been just too easy for the opposition to break it down.

Don't know what happened to the rebounding. They were not getting it done in the 4th quarter v Dartmouth.

Having stated all of the above, had the Buffs been making perimeter shots they would have won. Interesting reading the JR's comments about the team being out of sync in the warmups and that seemed to translate into the way they played. "Our shoot around wasn't very good, our warm up wasn't very good. There was kind of a flat feeling all day long, I don't know if that was fatigue or getting ready for finals or what it was, but Dartmouth came in ready to play."

Ironically, this was one game where the Buffs didn't commit a zillion turnovers.

A couple of tid-bits -

At the half ran into former Buffs assistant Jeff Cammon who is now the head coach at Long Beach State. He was in Colorado recruiting while it's finals week for his squad. He had flown in and driven to watch a prospect at Lamar CC in southeastern Colorado and then come back to Boulder to watch the Buffs. He said Jank is "better than they expected." Also, the Beach had defeated Arizona earlier in the week and he stated Arizona is "really bad."

At the same time I also chatted with Bri Watts who told me she is working for Southwestern Airlines.

Back