What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- WBB visit CSU (Wednesday, 12/6, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best of luck to the women as they hit the road tomorrow to face 5-2 CSU.

Hope some folks can make it up the road to Moby- Beat the Rams!

Preview article -

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...-csu-rivalry-runs-deep-in-leonard-family.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado/Colorado State rivalry has a little bit more intensity inside one Buff's household. Junior guard Kennedy Leonard is a Buff through-and-through and admittedly has never cheered for the Rams. But she is a minority at home, or at least she was until she began her college career.

Leonard's parents both went to Colorado State, the Buffs' biggest in-state rival. Her father Kyle majored in political science and her mother Lyndsey majored in nursing. In fact, Lyndsey was a student-athlete, competing for CSU's swimming team for four seasons and was a two-time all-conference performer for the Rams.

Despite coming from a family of CSU grads, Kennedy never considered school in Fort Collins and was not even really recruited by the Rams.

"I got one letter from CSU and it was one of those generic questionnaires so they didn't recruit me a ton. My dad always made fun of it because he was like, 'oh wow, my alma mater can't recruit you.'"

As soon as Leonard committed to CU, her parents had to change their allegiances, or at least adopt a second favorite team.

WEDNESDAY'S GAME: CU travels to CSU on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. game in Fort Collins.

SCOUTING CSU: The Rams enter Wednesday's contest on a three-game winning streak and 5-2 overall. They dropped games to Idaho and Oklahoma, but own wins against Gonzaga, Eastern New Mexico, North Carolina Central, Denver and BYU.

Freshman guard Lore Devos leads CSU in scoring, averaging 10.7 points, while shooting 84.2 percent at the line and 43.3 percent from the floor. The 6-foot Belgian scored the bulk of her points in a season-opening loss to Idaho when she shot 10-of-16 and scored 25 points. She has cooled over the past two games, averaging 6.0 in wins against DU and BYU.

Redshirt senior guard Hannah Tvrdy is second in scoring, averaging 8.6 points and 6.0 rebounds. She had eight points in last season's matchup and she led the Rams to a 56-54 win over BYU on Saturday with 10 points and eight rebounds.

Junior guard Sofie Tryggedsson is the team's top outside threat, averaging 2.0 3-point field goals per game and 7.1 points.

Junior wing Callie Kaiser scored 17 points off the bench on 7-of-8 shooting in last season's matchup between the two schools, but is averaging 6.8 points this season. She has continued her sharp-shooting, connecting at 60.9 percent from the floor and has made all nine of her free throw attempts.

6-foot-1 forwards Veronika Mirkovic and Annie Brady have provided solid rebounding down low, averaging a combined 12.1 rebounds per game. Both average just over five points per game.

Altogether, CSU has seven international players on its roster, including Devos, Tryggedsson (Denmark) and Mirkovic (Sweden).

2017 RIVALRY: For those keeping track of the all-sports rivalry this season, CU is leading so far. The Buffs have won in football (17-3) and volleyball (3-2), while dropping men's basketball (72-63). In non-team sports, CSU edged CU by one spot each in a pair of men's golf tournaments. However, CU's women's golf team more than made up that different in two tournaments, finishing well ahead of the Rams in both competitions (by a combined 111 strokes). In cross country, it was once again the Buffs that dominated all four competitions that both schools were at, including the Buffs winning CSU's season-opening meet.

NOTES:

STAT RANKINGS: CU is 32nd in the nation in rebounding margin (+9.6) after finishing last year 233rd in rebounding margin (-1.9) ... the key has been improved defensive rebounding, where CU is currently sixth nationally in defensive rebounds per game (32.0) ... Leonard is 10th in the nation in assist per game (7.1) and 22nd in steals (3.29).

RPI/TOP 25 UPDATE: The Buffs are still yet to receive votes in the top 25 despite a 6-1 record and a win over No. 24 Miami, perhaps a sign that voters are waiting for a second big win after the Buffs started 10-1 last season with a win over No. 15 Kentucky, but faded after that ... despite the lack of confidence by the top-25 voters, CU has plenty of reason to believe this season is better as it opens the season at No. 37 in the first RPI of the season, which was released on Monday ... the highest CU was rated in the RPI last season was 32 ... the Pac-12's highest-rated team in the RPI is Utah at No. 17, followed by Cal at No. 19 and Oregon at No. 23 ... George Mason (No. 67) is the highest-rated team CU has faced so far ... the RPI of the remaining non-conference opponents: CSU No. 214, Dartmouth No. 200, Air Force No. 334 and Westminster is a Division III school so it is not rated ... the conclusion from that is even if the Buffs win their remaining four non-conference games, they will probably not move up in the RPI ... regardless of the ratings, it's too early to put any stock into the RPI (Utah is a perfect example: last season the Utes were rated No. 13 in the first RPI and they finished No. 79).

CU SELECTED FOR NCAA ADVANCEMENT PROGRAM: Colorado was one of just 30 programs selected to participate in the NCAA Women's Basketball Advancement Program, a first-year program to assist schools in growing the sport through marketing and branding efforts ... CU's women's basketball marketing team, led by Tracy Whitfield, will have access to industry leaders to share ideas and provide feedback ... click here more info on the NCAA Advancement Program
"

Live Video (Not seeing any indication it's a premium thing, so hopefully will be free.) - http://www.csurams.com/sports/2017/7/28/mountain-west-network.aspx?master=watch

Live Audio -
Stream of CU's RADIO: 630 KHOW broadcast
- http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1139&type=Live
(CSU also offers a stream of its broadcast, on the radio on KARS 102.9 FM, at http://rock1029.com/listen-live/popup/ .)

Live Stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/colstate/wbball/

Tickets (CSU site- don't know if Buffs have any allocated?) - http://csurams.com/sports/2017/9/21/CSU-Ticket-Office.aspx

Last edited:
CSU website has said this is an 8 PM game, not a 7 PM game. Wonder what time is correct? :whistle:

I like that time better than 8 PM Mountain! When CU originally announced their schedule, CSU's site showed 8 PM for this game.

Thanks, AztecBuff, for all the background on this game. You always post a lot of details.

As for the game, I expect a double-digit win by the Buffs. Yes, of course there is the factor of the in-state rivalry, but CU is clearly more talented and has beaten better teams than CSU.

I like the way JR & Co have this team improving game-by-game as well as playing with passion. No reason to think this won't continue Wednesday night.

Hopefully the live stream is free.

Definitely enjoy watching this team improve each game. Will keep happening all season.

I know there are wildfires near Ventura, California. Hope Aubrey Knight's family is okay.

24-13 Buffs at the end of the 1st quarter, helped a lot by them having forced 11 ram turnovers.

Lead almost all gone after csu hits a few and CU goes cold- Coach Payne calls a timeout with CU up 28-26 roughly 1/2 way through the 2nd qtr. (Csu in a zone, and CU offensive flow not looking that good right now.)

Look like this is going to be a tight one- Buffs get a nice (rare) close-in lay-up with 3 seconds left to go into the half-time break up 36-35.

Hopefully that's the last 12 point scoring quarter of the game.

Buffs look to have taken some control in this one. Keep it up to the Buzzer Buffs!

And, after the Buffs go on a prevent offense, the lead is down to 4 with 57 seconds left.

Senior Thomas hits nothing but net on 2 freethrows after an intentional foul. Then the rams hit a 3. 8+ seconds left, 1 point game with the Buffs taking a timeout to get the ball to the front court.

Phew- Buffs hold on as Leonard makes a couple free throws, then CSU misses a pretty open 3 at the buzzer in an attempt to tie the game.

Buffs don't make a field goal in the last 8:44 of play but still hold on for the win.

3 point shooting was (obviously) HUGE in keeping the rams competitive in this one, as they went 9-17 vs. the Buffs' 3-16.

Many teachable moments in this game. Jank, Knight and Bunn have been thrown in to the fire and they felt it tonight.

Jank got her 3rd career double double. Leonard seems to hit free throws at the end of games. Just wish she would consistently make them during the game.

We are lucky to be able to learn while winning tonight. If you look at the box score, only 4 players played like they should and only two of those were starters but we still won. If I had hair it would've gotten more grey tonight. I'm glad ZC contributed tonight and Jank really busted out tonight. She's not shy at all on the 3's. This team can be better than last year but gotta play better than tonight.

We are lucky to be able to learn while winning tonight. If you look at the box score, only 4 players played like they should and only two of those were starters but we still won. If I had hair it would've gotten more grey tonight. I'm glad ZC contributed tonight and Jank really busted out tonight. She's not shy at all on the 3's. This team can be better than last year but gotta play better than tonight.

11 point lead with 3 minutes left, 3 straight turnovers let csu make it a game to the wire. They dominated the 1st and 3rd. Didn't shoot the 3 ball well tonight.

As you said, they learn and luckily they won and hey, beat the sheep on their home floor, go buffs!

As someone who doesn't know much about the ladies game, I truly appreciate your input.

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...ld-win-at-csu-behind-janks-double-double.aspx

"
FORT COLLINS – Annika Jank scored a season-high 22 points and had 10 rebounds to lead Colorado to wild a 70-67 win at Colorado State on Wednesday night in Moby Arena. The Buffs improved to 7-1 this season with their sixth consecutive win, while CSU dropped to 5-3.

STAT LEADERS: Jank, a freshman from Edina, Minn., shot 9-of-15 from the floor and added two assists. Kennedy Leonard chipped in with 18 points and five assists, burying 8-of-11 free throws and forcing three steals. Zoe Correal provided 10 points off the bench and had six rebounds. Brecca Thomas scored nine points, including seven in the first quarter.

Grace Colaivalu led CSU with 13 points and eight assists.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado outrebounded the Rams 44-32 and forced 20 turnovers. CU shot just 39.3 percent from the floor, while allowing CSU to connect at a 45.3 percent rate. CSU also hit 9-of-17 (.529) from 3-point range, while the Buffs made just 3-of-16 (.188).

NOTES: Jank recorded her third double-double this season and her 22 points surpassed her previous high of 16 at Samford ... the 11 turnovers by CSU in the first quarter tied the school record for most turnovers forced in a quarter (SMU, Nov. 26, 2016) ... the seven steals in the first quarter also tied the record for most steals in a quarter (this was the sixth time CU has had seven steals in a quarter) ... the Buffs improved to 37-12 all-time against Colorado State, including 13-10 in Fort Collins.

UP NEXT: CU hosts Dartmouth (6-1) at 7 p.m. on Monday at the Coors Events Center.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
JR Payne, head coach

On the game
"We played against what we knew would be a fearless team, a team that was really aggressive. And this was an important game for both teams, being an in-state rival, so we knew that we would get their best effort. I don't know that we got our best effort—not a lack of effort, but a lack of aggressiveness. In the end, it went in the right column so we are excited that we were able to come to CSU and win a game."
"

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=10066

Buffzone/ Daily Camera Interview with Kennedy Leonard-

Dartmouth, at 6-1, looks like it will be an unexpectedly good RPI game. Got to get that win.

Does anyone know why CSU was wearing orange or red uniforms?
Because they're dumber than a box of rocks.

Also, it's a nod to their Colorado A&M "heritage" of using Pumpkin and Alfalfa as their school colors. The football team usually wears orange ... err, pumpkin jerseys one game a year, as does the men's basketball team. It's an Aggy thing.

I used to live in Fort Collins (for 3 years) and did not know that. I worked with a lot of CSU grads and we always gave each other a hard time when CU-CSU played in any sport.

Thanks for informing me.

Back