What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #21/22 WOMEN'S BBall end regular season hosting #3 Stanford (Thurs., 2/23/23, 3:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Net.) & Cal (Sat., Noon MT;Pac 12 Net.)

Got the stop, avoided getting fouled in the back court to run a little clock.

Sherrod shooting 2 with 6.2 left.

Misses both.

Stanford ball 60-59 with 5.9.

62-70 with under a minute. Buffs ball after the timeout. I can't remember the last FG we've made.

Blown opportunity. You can't hold a team under 50 at home in regulation and lose. Ugh.

62-73

Watching in person, it was good to see a relatively large crowd - especially given the 3pm tip (2963).

CU was able to open a lead early in the game with physical post defense that made it really challenging for Stanford to get anything within a few feet of the basket. Over thee course of the game Stanford's post play was able to wear the Buffs down and the combination of Cameron Brinks and Lauren Betts as well as others was effective.

It's concerning that the Buffs half court offense has really struggled in recent games, not just yesterday's. Lots of missed shots and players looking uncomfortable running a lot of shot clock and then getting desperate when it gets under 10. It was a minor miracle that they were able to tie the game in regulation to force overtime - it took some solid defense and a missed FT by Stanford. Want to add that Quay Miller seems to have lost her confidence in her offensive game and her three point shot in particular.

Twice in the first OT the Buffs had a chance to really make it difficult for Stanford to force a second OT. The first was at the 1:03 mark when Standford was at the line shooting two with the Buffs up 2. First Haley Jones missed both FTs but on the rebound CU fouled which put Francsca Belibi at the line where she missed both, but once again CU didn't grab the rebound and once again committed a foul which put Jones back at the line where she made both, tying the game.

CU struggled with rebounding throughout the game being out-rebounded 53-42, giving up 53-42.

Of course the killer was the missed FTs with 6 seconds left with the Buffs up by a point. That was just brutal to miss both and then hang on to get to the second OT when Stanford missed one of two FTs.

In the second OT it looked like the Bufs were psychologically spent.

CU really played with grit and that's a big reason they were able to make a game of it despite poor offensive execution and shooting.

Did anyone else hear during the Stanford-CU broadcast that Sherrod and Miller may be able to come back next season for another year? I’d love that but aren’t they both out of eligibility? If they come back, we’re going to have a stellar season next year!

Did anyone else hear during the Stanford-CU broadcast that Sherrod and Miller may be able to come back next season for another year? I’d love that but aren’t they both out of eligibility? If they come back, we’re going to have a stellar season next year!

Extra year due to covid

They've both "only" competed for 4 seasons, and since the NCAA ruled that anyone competing in fall or winter sports (including basketball) during the 2020-21 "Covid-19" season get another year to compete, I believe they could come back for a 5th season. (Also see my note near the top of post #5 in this thread.)

Believe the Buffs has a 9 point lead, but Cal is able to close some before a great hustle and last second shot by Sherrod gives the Buffs a 4 point lead after 1.

Buffs extend the lead a smudge at the half, but looks like it could be a battle to the end. (Assume the defense will get a LOT of attention at the half, as I can't imagine Coach Payne will be thrilled with Cal shooting 62% so far.)

Media after today's win.

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/25/...-going-away-in-the-regular-season-finale.aspx

"
BOULDER – No. 21 Colorado went coast-to-coast on Saturday, taking down the California Golden Bears 95-69 to lock up the No. 3 seed and a first-round bye in next week's Pac-12 Tournament.

A dominant 25-point third quarter by the Buffs helped CU (22-7, 13-5 Pac-12) match its win total from last year and match its best conference record since the 2012-13 season. The win also marked the seventh straight over the Bears.

"It is a great way to end the regular season," head coach JR Payne exclaimed. "I am really proud of how we played particularly in the second half. The first half wasn't too pretty. I just said in the locker room that great teams figure out a way to fix it and it wasn't our best effort in the first half. We thought we dug in and played really good basketball in the second half. So just a great team effort tonight."

Colorado put together a strong defensive performance against Cal, turning the Bears over 17 times for 18 points on the offensive end. The Buffs also were dominant inside the point, scoring a season-high 52 points from close-range.

Aaronette Vonleh turned in her best performance of her career, helping CU hit 90 points in a game for the first time since 2019. She recorded career-high 25 points on 11-of-14 shooting. Vonleh also added three rebounds, two steals and one assist.

"I was just kind of like pissed off after our last loss [in double overtime to Stanford]," Vonleh said of her performance. "[I was] just trying to channel that into my energy today to be successful."

Two other key contributors on offense were Frida Formann and Jaylyn Sherrod. They combined for 35 points on 12-of-20 shooting from the field and 3-for-7 from 3-point range. Sherrod recorded six assists while Formann totaled three. Formann, who missed the last game against Stanford due to illness, was plus-32 points in just 24 minutes on the floor.

"I don't know too many people that can wake up after a couple of days off and go out there and play like Frida did today," Sherrod said of her teammate. "Frida is such a big part of our team and she brings so much positivity and confidence. I think her confidence gives everybody else confidence as well. It was just good to get her back out there after missing her on Thursday."

Cal was led by Jayda Curry and her game-high 26 points. She went 6-for-6 from the free-throw line in the fourth quarter and was 11-for-11 on the afternoon. Currly, who started the day third in the Pac-12 in made 3-pointers, was limited to just 1-for-7 on the day.

Key Moment
In the third quarter, Tameiya Sadler picked up a steal that resulted in a layup from Vonleh on the other end. This gave Colorado a 62-45 lead. It was Vonleh's eighth point in a 12-4 run that helped make the CU lead insurmountable.

Upcoming
Colorado will head to the Pac-12 Tournament next week as the No. 3 seed. It is the highest seeding for the Buffs since joining the conference in 2011-12. CU will play the winner of No. 6 USC vs No. 11 Oregon State at 9:30 p.m. MT, on Thursday, Mar. 2.

Notes
CU had a season-high 23 assists…The Buffs have now won 26 consecutive games when handing out 17 or more assists…Cal entered the game averaging 14.0 turnovers per game and had 13 at the half (18 total)…CU scored 52 points in the second half, the most since totaling 55 at Denver (Dec. 12, 2019)…CU's 95 points were the most since scoring 96 also that day at Denver…The Buffs made a season-high 37 field goals…CU's 52 points in the paint were the most since scoring 62 against Air Force (Nov. 28, 2020)…Colorado turned the ball over the second fewest times this season (9)...Sherrod passed Tracey Tripp for sixth all-time in assists at CU (445).
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2022-23/california/boxscore/16139

Back