What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- (RV) WOMEN'S BBall visiting Oregon (Friday, 2/3/23, 8:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Networks) & OSU (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Networks)

Media after yesterday's win -

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/5/womens-basketball-buffs-earn-weekend-sweep.aspx

"
CORVALLIS, Ore. – The Colorado women's basketball team took down Oregon State 67-48 in an all-around dominant performance, marking CU's second win ever against the Beavers in Corvallis.

The last time the Buffaloes won in Corvallis was in the 2012-13 season. Before Sunday, Colorado had a tough history matching up with OSU, losing 11 straight games from 2015-16 to 2021-22, however, CU has now won two straight against the Beavers.

The Buffaloes were able to jump out to a huge lead early on and prevented any effort at a comeback throughout the entire game.

"Oregon State has been down in games," head coach JR Payne said. "Even on Friday night, they were down 18 in the third quarter and came back and went to overtime. We talked about the fact that this team is never down and out and so you have to keep your foot on the gas pedal as far as playing fast, playing hard and not letting them get going."

With the road sweep this weekend, Colorado still sits in the No. 3 spot in the conference (18-5, 9-3 Pac-12) as it travels back to Boulder for a pair of home games against Washington State Friday at 7 p.m. and Washington Sunday at Noon.

Jaylyn Sherrod led Colorado on both ends of the court Sunday, totaling 15 points on 5-of-10 shooting from the field. She also recorded a game-high seven assists and made her defensive presence felt with seven steals.

"This was a big win for us," Sherrod said. "I take everything personally. The losses, wins, what I can do better. I think last week just really allowed me, as one of the leaders on this team, to just say you can never take a break. I just wanted to come in and fire the team up because I know my best attribute to this team is my energy."

Quay Miller and Frida Formann also had great performances for the Buffs. Miller recorded another double-double with 15 points and a career-high 19 rebounds. Colorado out-rebounded Oregon State 46-26 which seemed to be a difference-maker in Corvallis. Formann recorded 13 points and seven rebounds, four of which were offensive boards.

"We were incredible on the glass tonight, especially early on," Payne noted. "I thought offensive rebounding – there were back-to-back possessions where we had one or two offensive boards and that's always really important for us."

Oregon State (11-12, 3-9 Pac-12) has now lost four straight games to conference opponents. The Beavers shot 32.7 percent from the field and 35.0 percent from three-point range. Despite both teams committing 13 turnovers, OSU wasn't able to capitalize in transition, totaling only six points off turnovers while Colorado totaled 20 points off turnovers. OSU's leading scorer, Talia von Oelhoffen was rendered ineffective going scoreless on 0-for-8 shooting.

"It's huge," Payne said. "I always say we just want to win out, we want to win every game. We think we're capable of that. But to do it on the road, everybody knows it's hard to win on the road for a lot of reasons. To do that Friday was awesome, so incredible. We were so excited and then emotionally reset. Oregon State runs a thousand quick hitters and they run so much stuff. Our staff decided let's show them [Colorado] the main things we think we're going to see, but we can't feed them everything. Our team just locked in and said we're defending and we're going to guard you and we did a great job of that."

Key Moment
After trailing 2-0 in the first quarter, the Buffaloes went on a 16-0 scoring run, ignited by back-to-back-to-back 3's made by Formann and Miller. The Colorado defense held Oregon State to zero points for over six and a half minutes during the scoring run. CU didn't trail a single time for the rest of the game.

Notes
The road sweep marks the first of the Oregon schools since the 2012-13 season…The Buffs have two straight sweeps of the Oregon schools, beating both the Ducks and Beavers to close the 2021-22 regular season in Boulder…Colorado has two road sweeps this season (UW, WSU) and is now 8-4 on the road this season...It's the first time CU has had multiple tw-game weekend sweeps on the road since the 2012-13 season (Arizona & Arizona State, Oregon & Oregon State)...Oregon State's 48 points were the fewest allowed in a Pac-12 game by Colorado since holding the Beavers to 45 on Feb. 26, 2022, and the fewest allowed in a road game since keeping Oregon to 48 on Mar. 1, 2013…Formann moved past Amy Palmer for 11th on CU's career 3-point list with 151…Sherrod's seven steals tied her career-best from earlier this season against Air Force.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=16134

Back