What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball in New Orleans to face UAB (Friday,12/20, noon MT) & Tulane (Sat., 2:00 OR 2:30 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs are in New Orleans to compete at the Tulane Classic, facing off against the Univ. of Alabama- Birmingham (UAB) tomorrow before meeting the hosts Saturday.
(Note- As I type this, not sure the exact starting time of the Tulane game, as the Buff's schedule has it starting at 2:30 PM MT, while Tulane's schedule (https://tulanegreenwave.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2019-20) has it starting at 3:00 (Assume CT, so 2:00 PM MT).)

Go Buffs - beat the Blazers and Green Waves!

Media links -

Vs. UAB (New Orleans, Friday, Noon MT):

Game Notes -

Live video - Game, at least per the Tulane schedule, will be viewable via a PREMIUM live stream available at https://tulanegreenwave.com/watch/?Live=613&type=Live .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2356&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=736281064573241678 .

Live stats -

@ Tulane (New Orleans, Saturday, 2:00 or 2:30 PM MT):

Game Notes -
None as I type this.

Live video - Game, at least per the Tulane schedule, will be viewable via a PREMIUM ($) live stream available at https://tulanegreenwave.com/watch/?Live=548&type=Live .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2357 or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Womens-Basketball-s308228/?_branch_match_id=736281064573241678 .

Live stats -

Last edited:
What is everyone feeling going into the Tulane Classic about these back-to-back games, Friday against UAB and Saturday against Tulane?

One site has teams ranked by ratings:

Northern Colorado (regional in-state rival)
Colorado
Arkansas (SEC, old Final-Four Washington coach Mike Neighbors coaches here)
Ball St.
New Mexico (offered JR Payne their job)
Boise St. (CSU's MW conference rival)
Seton Hall (Big East)
Kansas (Big 12)
UAB
Quinnipiac
Butler
Iowa St (Big 12)
Auburn (SEC)
Fordham
Yale
Kansas St (Big 12)
Bucknell
St. Mary's (JR Payne's alumnus)
Houston
SF Austin
Utah (Pac-12 rival, travel partner)

That's not bad company actually.

Arkansas beat #12 South Carolina in last year's SEC tournament, then #15/18 Texas A&M, then lost to #5 Mississippi State to end their conference tournament run. They should have been selected to the NCAA tournament, but instead were invited to the WNIT. They beat Houston 88-80 in OT, and Houston is on the list above. They beat UAB (on the list above & who we face Friday) 100-52. They then lost to TCU to end their WNIT run. Arkansas finished 22-15, but only 6-10 in conference. Very similar to CU in that they are a good program in a tough conference. Not bad company for CU to be ranked immediately above.

Still CU being ranked above two SEC teams, three Big-12 teams, and Pac-12 rival and travel partner Utah was awesome to see.

However, Northern Colorado is ranked immediately above us, and they have had a tough schedule at 145th in the Country for RPI and 133rd for SOS. For a mid-major from a mostly irrelevant conference they have played some tough opponents: WCC San Francisco, in-state regional rival CSU, Pac-12 Stanford, SMU, Pac-12 UCLA, in-state regional rival Denver, and regional rival Wyoming. Jenny Huth's team is very young, but have some talented young players. Considering the Bears lost to Denver and CSU, its hard to validate the idea that they are ranked higher than Colorado. So let's take those rankings for what they are worth (not much).

UAB has a win over Auburn already, and played Oklahoma and Boise State close. Here is hoping CU is able to manage a win there, limit turnovers and keep trending up. Tulane already beat a Pac-12 rival for us in Washington, played a good Middle Tennessee State team close, LSU close, and lost to Boston College in spite of former CU player Cameron Swartz putting up 27 points on them with a 11-16 shooting performance. We shouldn't look past UAB either.

Both Tulane and UAB are good teams. Tulane is 167th in RPI and UAB is 192nd. CU is 48th. Go Buffs! Keep this non-conference Wins train rollin'!

After a quick start (they were up 11-4 with 6:35 left in the 1st), looks like it's been slow going (especially offensively) for the Buffs, and they are down 14-22 with 8:15 left in the 2nd.

Turtles at the end of Q1.

If I saw it right on Twitter, we went from an 11-4 lead to a 12-18 deficit by missing our last 7 shots.

After going down double digits*** at one point (for the 1st time this season per the Buffs' radio announcer), the Buffs come back some and trail 30-35 at the half.

***Edit - looking at live stats, the largest deficit I see was 9 points, so don't know whether they're off, or the announcer was.

Last edited:
As often happens, looks like the 3 ball has been big so far, as UAB is 5-7 from distance at the half while the Buffs are only 2-11.

In the 3rd, UAB quickly went up 11 as they made 2 3's to start the quarter, after which the Buffs were able to whittle away at the lead, but still trail by 4 (47-51) heading into the 4th quarter.

Buffs with a 9 point run to start the 4th, leading to a UAB timeout with the Buffs leading 56-51 with 6:18 remaining.

Going to be a nail-biter, as the Buffs call a timeout only up by 1 with 2:05 remaining.

The Buffs haven't scored in 4 minutes, and call timeout down 1 with a little over 1 minute left.

We're going overtime, as CU's Whitaker makes a jumper with ~13 seconds left to tie it up (after a UAB 3 put them up 2), and the Blazers miss the last second shot.

Said Q didn't make the trip due to concussion protocol.

The fight in this team was impressive today. I will take 11-0!

It's a tragedy when players miss games due to concussions incurred in practices. Most people don't know this but some teams started wearing soft helmets in practices to limit repeat concussions for players that have already had one.

Louisville wearing helmets to prevent concussions in practice

It is a controversial issue, with the NCAA at-times having the opinion that they don't work, but coaches that use them swear by them, and see a reduced incidence of successive concussions.

NCAA on Headgear issue

I could see wearing protective gear in practice like rugby players do. Do not know how effective they are but If they do work I would be for using them, even in games. I think the game is becoming so much faster and more athletic things need to be considered.

I was concerned with how this game was going as I periodically checked live stats. But, given the good result, I have to say this was a good game for them to experience.... away from home, coming back from an 11 point deficit, having to play well with under a minute on the clock in regulation to get the tie to force overtime, having to crank up the defense to pull away in overtime. UAB is not a PAC level team but they are mostly seniors who have the experience to make the game tough on the frosh/soph Buffs team. Good learning game for the Buffs.

Remember the story of Niki Popyer? She was a legit Division One prospect who became infamous for how many successive concussions she had, which ultimately led to her having to stop exercising, let alone play basketball.

Nikki Poyer piece on NJ.com
Dan Rather Nikki Poyer Interview

Remember Colorado Assistant Coach Jamie Carey? She was on the cover of the Stanford's Women's basketball media guide, as a profile in courage as multiple concussions robbed her of being able to play at Stanford. She also had such severe ankle injury she lived on crutches for a time. She had so many concussions at Stanford that she probably should have not been allowed to ever play again. Stanford called it, putting the person over the athlete, and wouldn't medically clear her. In what would appear to be a tone deaf decision now, she was allowed by the NCAA to transfer to Texas and given two additional years of playing eligibility. Was that the right decision? Who knows. Carey carried Texas to the Final-Four in 2003. You can't hide greatness. Even after multiple brain injuries and a bad ankle she went on to play for Team USA and played in the WNBA for years.

Some program supporters believed that Linda Lappe should have voluntarily resigned her position as Head Coach at CU, but allowed to stay on staff. The idea was that Carey should have taken over as HC, when it became clear Lappe was in over her head and that Ceal really had no business putting her in the Head Coach role she didn't have the experience for and couldn't possibly have success in. I don't know that idea was ever was given any legs by the AD. I don't know if Linda would have agreed to that, or if Jamie would have either. Jamie is now on the coaching staff at Texas. I believe as the Associate Head Coach. I don't believe Linda is still coaching.

Aubrey is the quintessential glue player. Her injury last season was devastating to this team. Aubrey Knight, Cameron Swartz and Emma Clarke were the three best shooters on the team last year [Edit: before anyone has a temper-tantrum I said shooters NOT scorers]. Aubrey got hurt, Cameron walked out the door and when Kennedy got hurt the season was just sideways. Buffs end up having to have a player lead the team in shots taken who only shot at a higher shooting percentage on the season over Lesila Finau and Peyton Carter. If fact of the players in the rotation who took at least 100 shots on the season, the Buffs leader in shots taken was dead last in FG%. I think had Aubrey Knight not been hurt this would have been a better Buffs team last season. Aubrey can play some defense. She is a high basketball IQ player. She plays with poise beyond her game experience. She is tough player with a ton of grit. She is rebounding this season like she is possessed. She is the kind of player that no matter what role you put her in she will make your team better. The problem is I think her shoulder is held together with glue. Didn't she have a quote this pre-season about just going out and playing this game like every minute could be her last? Very impressed with this young woman. She's a player, and we are lucky to have her on this roster. No drama. Just guts and effort.

Jaylyn already has 51 assists and she has not been playing full starter minutes through the whole non-conference schedule. She had a single turnover in an game that played through OT. Think about that. For the record the program's All-Time career leader in Assists managed 139 her Freshman Year. A performance that was good enough to get a FOTW Award, honorable Pac-12, and All Pac-12 Freshman team awards. Jaylyn is on pace to finish with 153 Assists after the Pac-12 tournament even if we don't make the postseason.

Very impressed with this team. The next one should be FUN! Something to play for, something to actually lose (finishing the non-conference schedule undefeated). This team and staff seem to be having so much fun right now.

Favorite quote from the game: JR Payne "I think the camaraderie, energy and togetherness of this group is what won the ballgame. You should have seen it in the timeouts we have freshmen like Jalen [Sherrod] saying 'Come on, we fought too hard for this.' She's rallying and they're all excited and I think once we got to overtime, I think our team was very confident. Based on their energy and togetherness and that kind of thing."

Love the culture these players have worked so hard to change. Sometimes when taking over a program its two steps forward and one step back. I think we are finally starting to see a JR Payne team: smart, gritty, tough, and a team that doesn't quit. Only 12 turnovers.

One more WIN! Let's get one more before things get real! Go Buffs!

Last edited:
Back