What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball in New Orleans to face UAB (Friday,12/20, noon MT) & Tulane (Sat., 2:00 OR 2:30 PM MT)

It's a tragedy when players miss games due to concussions incurred in practices. Most people don't know this but some teams started wearing soft helmets in practices to limit repeat concussions for players that have already had one.

Louisville wearing helmets to prevent concussions in practice

It is a controversial issue, with the NCAA at-times having the opinion that they don't work, but coaches that use them swear by them, and see a reduced incidence of successive concussions.

NCAA on Headgear issue
Was that why she didn’t play/travel? A concussion in practice?

It's another game day- Go Buffs!

A few random notes from me:
  • A lot of time guessing results based on common opponents is NOT very accurate, and the Bufffs are missing Q for this one, but looks like they should at minimum be some level of favorite today, as Tulane yesterday lost by 10 to Texas Southern, a team the Buffs defeated by 24 in Boulder earlier this month.
  • Again, only a (future) common opponent thing, but this will be another opportunity for the Buffs, who were picked to finish last in the Pac in the pre-season coaches' poll, to indicate they are better than that, as the Blue Waves already have a win over a Pac 12 team this season, having won 64-62 in Seattle over Washington on November 10th.
  • Especially after yesterday's game went overtime, today's game will partly be a nice/ tough strength AND CONDITIONING test for the Buffs, especially for 3 players who played 40+ minutes yesterday against the Blazers, Knight (43), Hollingshed (42) and Sherrod (40). (That still won't be a great excuse if CU loses, as per their box score a couple key Blue Waves players also logged good minutes (34 and 37) in their game yesterday, which was played AFTER the Buffs'.)

Last edited:
Aubrey is the quintessential glue player. Her injury last season was devastating to this team. Aubrey Knight, Cameron Swartz and Emma Clarke were the three best shooters on the team last year [Edit: before anyone has a temper-tantrum I said shooters NOT scorers]. Aubrey got hurt, Cameron walked out the door and when Kennedy got hurt the season was just sideways. Buffs end up having to have a player lead the team in shots taken who only shot at a higher shooting percentage on the season over Lesila Finau and Peyton Carter. If fact of the players in the rotation who took at least 100 shots on the season, the Buffs leader in shots taken was dead last in FG%. I think had Aubrey Knight not been hurt this would have been a better Buffs team last season. Aubrey can play some defense. She is a high basketball IQ player. She plays with poise beyond her game experience. She is tough player with a ton of grit. She is rebounding this season like she is possessed. She is the kind of player that no matter what role you put her in she will make your team better. The problem is I think her shoulder is held together with glue. Didn't she have a quote this pre-season about just going out and playing this game like every minute could be her last? Very impressed with this young woman. She's a player, and we are lucky to have her on this roster. No drama. Just guts and effort.

Jaylyn already has 51 assists and she has not been playing full starter minutes through the whole non-conference schedule. She had a single turnover in an game that played through OT. Think about that. For the record the program's All-Time career leader in Assists managed 139 her Freshman Year. A performance that was good enough to get a FOTW Award, honorable Pac-12, and All Pac-12 Freshman team awards. Jaylyn is on pace to finish with 153 Assists after the Pac-12 tournament even if we don't make the postseason.

Very impressed with this team. The next one should be FUN! Something to play for, something to actually lose (finishing the non-conference schedule undefeated). This team and staff seem to be having so much fun right now.

Favorite quote from the game: JR Payne "I think the camaraderie, energy and togetherness of this group is what won the ballgame. You should have seen it in the timeouts we have freshmen like Jalen [Sherrod] saying 'Come on, we fought too hard for this.' She's rallying and they're all excited and I think once we got to overtime, I think our team was very confident. Based on their energy and togetherness and that kind of thing."

Love the culture these players have worked so hard to change. Sometimes when taking over a program its two steps forward and one step back. I think we are finally starting to see a JR Payne team: smart, gritty, tough, and a team that doesn't quit. Only 12 turnovers.

One more WIN! Let's get one more before things get real! Go Buffs!
[/QUOTE

]

Last edited:
Wanted to mention I'm still not sure when today's game is scheduled to start.?.

Cubuffs.com now has the game starting at 3:00 PM MT, while Tulane's schedule still has it starting at ~3:00 PM THEIR (Central) time. I actually think the time CU originally had (2:30 PM MT) might be the most likely to being accurate. (Tulane's schedule has the earlier tournament game today starting at 1:00 CT, and I always think of games lasting around 2 hours. If you then add 30 minutes for team warm-ups for the Buffs' game, would equal an ~3:30 CT or 2:30 MT starting time.)

Happy can you fix your post. No one can see what you said because it looks like its included in the QUOTE.

Also surprised you didn't call me out for having a moment and typing alumnus when I meant alma mater.

Aubrey is the quintessential glue player. Her injury last season was devastating to this team. Aubrey Knight, Cameron Swartz and Emma Clarke were the three best shooters on the team last year [Edit: before anyone has a temper-tantrum I said shooters NOT scorers]. Aubrey got hurt, Cameron walked out the door and when Kennedy got hurt the season was just sideways. Buffs end up having to have a player lead the team in shots taken who only shot at a higher shooting percentage on the season over Lesila Finau and Peyton Carter. If fact of the players in the rotation who took at least 100 shots on the season, the Buffs leader in shots taken was dead last in FG%. I think had Aubrey Knight not been hurt this would have been a better Buffs team last season. Aubrey can play some defense. She is a high basketball IQ player. She plays with poise beyond her game experience. She is tough player with a ton of grit. She is rebounding this season like she is possessed. She is the kind of player that no matter what role you put her in she will make your team better. The problem is I think her shoulder is held together with glue. Didn't she have a quote this pre-season about just going out and playing this game like every minute could be her last? Very impressed with this young woman. She's a player, and we are lucky to have her on this roster. No drama. Just guts and effort.

Jaylyn already has 51 assists and she has not been playing full starter minutes through the whole non-conference schedule. She had a single turnover in an game that played through OT. Think about that. For the record the program's All-Time career leader in Assists managed 139 her Freshman Year. A performance that was good enough to get a FOTW Award, honorable Pac-12, and All Pac-12 Freshman team awards. Jaylyn is on pace to finish with 153 Assists after the Pac-12 tournament even if we don't make the postseason.

Very impressed with this team. The next one should be FUN! Something to play for, something to actually lose (finishing the non-conference schedule undefeated). This team and staff seem to be having so much fun right now.

Favorite quote from the game: JR Payne "I think the camaraderie, energy and togetherness of this group is what won the ballgame. You should have seen it in the timeouts we have freshmen like Jalen [Sherrod] saying 'Come on, we fought too hard for this.' She's rallying and they're all excited and I think once we got to overtime, I think our team was very confident. Based on their energy and togetherness and that kind of thing."

Love the culture these players have worked so hard to change. Sometimes when taking over a program its two steps forward and one step back. I think we are finally starting to see a JR Payne team: smart, gritty, tough, and a team that doesn't quit. Only 12 turnovers.

One more WIN! Let's get one more before things get real! Go Buffs!

Finally something that I can agree with

it’s great to see Aubrey back. Definitely a glue player that would have impacted last year, if you recall she was starting when she went out. She brings grit and a work effort similar to only 1 or 2 players on last year’s roster
Really makes you realize what could have been last year with out losing Aubrey (glue) and your All Conference PG. the biggest difference between this year and the last 2-3 is not talent its depth and last years injuries vs this years really show that. No doubt they left 6-8 wins on the table
It’s exciting to see this team building on the foundation set over the last 3 years.
SKOBUFFS!![/QUOTE

Wanted to mention I'd GUESS the Buff- Blue Waves game to start around 2:30 MT, or maybe a little before that. (Looking at the prior tournament game's live stats, UAB is cruising over Texas Southern 74-57 with ~4 minutes left in the game, so overtime is looking very unlikely.)

Last edited:
Looking like the Buffs are in for a battle, as they are down 1 ~1/2 way through the 3rd quarter, with both teams turning it over A LOT.

Like yesterday, the Buffs will need to make up a small deficit going into the 4th, as they trail 45-48.

Buffs getting some experience playing in a close game something they haven't done much this season. Buffs down 45-48 at the end of 3Q. Tulane has only lost 5 games in the history of their own classic. Buffs I don't think have ever lost to Tulane. Too many turnovers, but Buffs shooting 44%. Makes you want them to just take the open shots, and not try to drive. Sound like a fun game.

Ugly win against a bad team is still a win. Buffs showed grit and heart against both UAB and Tulane. Whittaker has another tough game, PGs went 2-12 today with the Starter having 8 TOs, if you can overcome that it’s a good win. Aubrey had another very strong outing and Peanut really stepped up.

11-0! Now onto to the Conference

Last edited:
How 'bout that?

JR Payne, "Really, really proud of this team."

Buffs recent Non-Conference history:

2010-11: 9-4
2011-12: 11-0
2012-13: 11-0
2013-14: 10-1
2014-15: 7-4
2015-16: 5-6
2016-17: 10-1
2017-18: 9-2
2018-19: 10-1
2019-20: 11-0

Buffs accomplish something they haven't managed since 2012-13, they finish non-conference undefeated for only the third time this decade! A Significant accomplishment. Very proud of these Buffs. Program definitely trending in the right direction, up! Per radio broadcast: Great adjustment by JR Payne to have both Finau and Sherrod on the floor at the end. Needed both Point Guards to handle the pressure. Score was 62-52 but it was a lot closer than that until the end. Too many turnovers, Sherrod had 8 herself, but she is absolutely shattering the on-pace with 7 more Assists. Jaylyn now on pace for a staggering 160 Assists her Freshman career if the Buffs don't play but one Pac-12 tournament game and no post-season. That puts Sherrod at the phenomenal pace of 640 career Assists with no improvement, no injuries and no post-season.

Aubrey Knight was the tournament MVP. Absolute glue player. Clarke almost had a double-double, 9 points and 10 rebounds. Knight had 16 points, and 8 rebounds. Peanut was huge with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Buffs held Tulane to 32% shooting. Buffs held Tulane to just 4 points in the 4Q. Wow! Tulane already beat a Pac-12 team.

Things to clean up and work on with such a young team:
1.) Too many turnovers. Floor leader can dish, but she's a Freshman and it shows. Just needs experience.
2.) Be a gym rat. Buffs only shot 17% for 3-pointers.

Hope all Buffs, past and present have Happy Hollydays and a Happy New Year!

and we can say loudly WE ARE STILL UNDEFEATED!!!! The problem is so can other Pac-12 teams. Mean old Pac-12.

Utah has losses to Cincinnati, Xavier (whom we beat), South Dakota, and Providence.

Texas Southern (A Colorado State Rams syllogism)
Oregon beat Texas Southern 99-63
Utah beat Texas Southern 61-52
CU beat Texas Southern 74-50
Tulane beat Texas Southern 72-62
CU beat Tulane 62-52
so clearly, via deduction CU will beat Utah and Oregon by scores of [Edit: stopping now, as I've probably had WAY too much egg nog]

Last edited:
IIRC, JR said when she was first introduced that turnovers weren't a big concern of hers as long as the team is aggressively pushing the ball.

If that's the style she wants to play, then a couple things need to happen in order to balance that out:

1. Positive A/T ratio (means more positive than negative happening from the ball movement)
2. Force enough turnovers plus have a significant advantage on O rebounding (means the team won't have fewer possessions in spite of its own turnovers)

Nothing wrong with playing that style and no need to worry too much about our turnovers if 1 & 2 are happening.

IIRC, JR said when she was first introduced that turnovers weren't a big concern of hers as long as the team is aggressively pushing the ball.

If that's the style she wants to play, then a couple things need to happen in order to balance that out:

1. Positive A/T ratio (means more positive than negative happening from the ball movement)
2. Force enough turnovers plus have a significant advantage on O rebounding (means the team won't have fewer possessions in spite of its own turnovers)

Nothing wrong with playing that style and no need to worry too much about our turnovers if 1 & 2 are happening.

I missed that. Definitely taking care of the boards +100 so far for the season (Not sure of offense vs. defense). Turnovers not so good; 204 us vs 206 opponent so far and we are at 204 turnovers 19 per game vs 165 assists 15.5 per game. That’s the highest TO # in 5 years, factor in that TOs go up and assists down in conference. I hope I’m wrong but I’d be concerned

Most years recently the WBB Buffs have had very solid non-conference records. Conference has been a different experience. Before the start of this season I felt they would again have a very solid non-conference, expecting at most 1 loss with the schedule they had. Ken Massey agreed; his projection was for the 11-0 they achieved but then going 0 for the conference.
I am now somewhat more optimistic that they can win at least a few PAC games this season given the (mostly) improvement we have seen from this team. I checked Massey again and he also agrees. He now projects 3 conference wins and has another 4 conference games as in the 1 or 2 point loss category ... basically potential toss-up games.
Enjoy your holidays Buffs and come back ready to grind!

I missed that. Definitely taking care of the boards +100 so far for the season (Not sure of offense vs. defense). Turnovers not so good; 204 us vs 206 opponent so far and we are at 204 turnovers 19 per game vs 165 assists 15.5 per game. That’s the highest TO # in 5 years, factor in that TOs go up and assists down in conference. I hope I’m wrong but I’d be concerned
Good data. Looks like A/T is the thing that needs to be cleaned up. Would love to see our TOs down to 15 per. I think assists go up a bit if the team starts knocking down more shots.

Agree that Pac-12 play should see stat regression. We are unlikely to dominate the glass like we have been and there are so many disciplined teams that I'd expect us to force fewer TOs per. So we have to get better in other areas to continue playing winning basketball.

That said, there are 3 or 4 teams in the Pac-12 that are nearly unbeatable by anyone outside the Top 20 even if teams play their A games against them. Gonna be a very challenging schedule the rest of the way.

Okay. I didn't recall that. However, JR Payne has talked a lot about turnovers needing to come down in post-games this non-conference season. I don't think she's happy with where the turnover numbers have been, but knows it will improve because the team is so young. So many of the turnovers seem to be unforced, though.

Article after today's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/12/21/womens-basketball-buffs-remain-perfect.aspx

"
NEW ORLEANS — The Colorado women's basketball team pulled away late in the fourth quarter to secure its 11th consecutive win on Saturday. The Buffaloes outlasted Tulane, 62-52, to close the non-conference season unblemished.

The 11-0 start to the season is just CU's fifth. It is the first time the Buffs have started with 11 straight wins since the 2012-13 season.

Sophomore Peanut Tuitele led Colorado with 17 points and 10 rebounds, recording her second career double-double. Tuitele's efforts landed her on the All-Tournament team. Redshirt sophomore Aubrey Knight, the tournament's MVP, continued her stellar play. She finished with 16 points and eight rebounds. Mya Hollingshed also got into double figures, closing with 11 points.

The Buffs 10-point lead at the close was the largest margin of the day. The game was closely contested throughout the day, featuring seven ties and 14 different lead changes.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs did most of their damage from close range, finishing with 44 points in the paint.

NOTES: Colorado trailed going into the fourth quarter for the second time all season (UAB)…the Buffs finished with 29 points off of Tulane's 21 turnovers…Tulane finished 9-for-29 from 3…CU's bench scored 20 points after posting zero in its previous game against UAB.

NEXT UP: Colorado breaks for the holidays and will return to practice on Dec. 26 to prepare for the start of the Pac-12 season. The Buffs will be on the road to start conference play, taking on Utah on Dec. 29.

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

On the fourth quarter
"I thought we did a great job defensively in the fourth quarter. That was the difference in the ballgame. We really started to communicate more defensively. We weren't all on the same page throughout the first three quarters. We guarded the 3-point line more efficiently in the fourth quarter. We were able to switch and even pick up the pressure a little bit. I really think that's what changed the game for us for good."

Sophomore Peanut Tuitele
On the 11-0 record
"I think that's huge for us. Especially, coming off last season. It's a statement that we are capable of playing with anybody. When we are hitting on all cylinders, it can be a scary thing. That's what the coaches really emphasized in the locker room. These two games were a statement. It was a tough weekend, but we pulled through as a team. I'm just proud of my team."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2019-20/tulane/boxscore/13219

Highlights from Friday's win over UAB-

Holding a team to 4 points in any Quarter is just absolutely incredible. Reminds me of those incredible defensive efforts the Buffs would have under Lappe. CU would hold a team to 9 points or less pretty commonly.

Back