What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball on the road to face #6 Stanford (Friday,1/24, 8:00 MT) & Cal (Sunday, 1:00 MT)

A Buffzone preview of tomorrow's game with Cal.

Direct link - https://www.buffzone.com/2020/01/25/26dccuwbb-2/

Re the Bears (and some on the Buffs) -
"
LEADERS: Colorado – Scoring: F Mya Hollingshed, Jr., 13.8 ppg; Rebounding: Hollingshed, 6.8 rpg; Assists – G Jaylyn Sherrod, Fr., 5.8 apg. California – Scoring: G/F Jaelyn Brown, Sr., 14.4 ppg; Rebounds: C CJ West, Sr., 6.8 rpg; Assists: G Leilani McIntosh, Fr., 4.1 apg.

NOTABLE: The Buffs are looking to snap a three-game losing streak. They lost to No. 6 Stanford, 76-68 in overtime, on Friday. Sherrod had a career-high 21 points, as well as seven assists. … CU is 7-12 all-time against Cal, including 3-5 in Berkeley. Since joining the Pac-12, the Buffs are 1-5 in Berkeley, with the lone win coming Feb. 12, 2017. … In her last three games, Mya Hollingshed is averaging 17.0 points and 6.3 rebounds, while shooting 54.3 percent (61.5 from 3-point range). … Sherrod has 104 assists and needs six to tie Linda Lappe (1998-99) for the fifth-best total by a CU freshman. … Sherrod has averaged 12.4 points and 7.0 assists in her last five games. … Senior Quinessa Caylao-Do is seven rebounds away from reaching 300 for her career. … Cal is the only Pac-12 team without a conference win. The Bears lost at home to Utah, 71-62, on Friday. Sara Anastasieska had 22 points for Cal. … Cal is 7-5 at home this season. … The Bears’ current seven-game losing streak is their longest since an eight-game skid during the 2004-05 season. … This is Cal’s worst start to conference play since an 0-7 start in 2001-02. … The Buffs are 4-27 in Pac-12 road games under Payne, including an 80-70 win at Utah on Dec. 29.
"

Haven't followed closely this year but this game supports what I am seeing when I do watch.

Coach Payne is building a quality program. A couple years ago this would not have been possible on Stanford's worst night. The program was in bad shape and needed a complete rebuild, including in the attitude and expectations department.

Have patience, I think we have the right coach. Just give her time and understand that there will be some ups and some downs in the process.

Buffs with some sloppy turnovers (and stats show 5 overall) the few minutes I've watched; Cal up 16-20 at the end of the 1st.

Buffs down 4 with around 5 minutes left in the half 22-26. Nothing seems to be going their way, so the 4 isn't that bad. Sherrod picked up her 2nd foul with around 6:30 left in the half, so the team will need to work it out without her for awhile.

Buffs with a very nice job late to tie it up at 30 going into the half.

Great to see Whitaker making a nice contribution (7 pts. (including a 3))/ 3 rebounds overall in 9 minutes of play) after missing some games with injury. (Believe her 1st play for awhile was against Stanford.)

Went for a walk with family, so missed the 2nd half. Congrats to the team for a nice Pac 12 road win!

(Looking at the stats, the Buffs with a big +17 in rebounds is the blaring stat differential between the teams, leading to a 20-8 edge in 2nd chance points.)

The players on this team have never considered quitting. Please do not quit on them.

Jaylyn Sherrod played probably the best game of her young career.

The wins will come. Stanford has to visit Boulder in February. The game will be played the same day the 25 year anniversary of the winningest team in Colorado women's basketball history will be honored. I hope this team, the current team, shows that team they have the same kind of will, fight and determination.

Never say never and do not give up on this team or these players. They have not given up and will not give up.

This team appears to have a different team psyche than team of the last 10 years or so. They BELIEVE in themselves and each other.
Definitely not the year to give up on this team!!

Now to give a little stampede to the Boregan teams.

It was not pretty, but it was a win!

Some strange foul calls and non-calls but we didn't end up losing players to fouls.

Sherrod gets better every game and Knight was key down the stretch. We really missed Aubrey the last two seasons when she was injured. We just didn't know how much.

The Buffs have now won more games in the Pac12 than they did last season and there's a ways to go.

JR will do her best to get the team ready for the Oregon teams. It's very difficult for any team to play 5 Mc Donald All Americans who are being replaced by 5 McDonald All Americans, but the games still have to be played.

good win. I do not care how they win this year. This program needs a good year and they are having one so far. two road wins in the Pac 12 is such a step forward for this team. Do not expect much this weekend but still impressed and hopeful about this team

Buffs actually still top 50 RPI. The p12 is brutal as always, but continuing to win the games against the bottom tier should get us easily into WNIT. Flip the script on that UCLA and Stanford game a couple times down the stretch, this team could really surprise and sneak in to the real deal. I'm not counting those chickens, but it's nice that a legit conversation about it still exists.

Article after today's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/1/26/womens-basketball-buffs-top-the-bears-62-50.aspx

"
BERKELEY, Calif. – Sophomore Emma Clarke scored 14 points and helped fuel a strong third quarter in Colorado's 62-50 come from behind win over California on Sunday. The win snapped a three-game skid.

Colorado (14-5, 3-5 Pac-12) trailed by four after the first quarter and worked its way back to a tie at halftime. The Buffs scored 32 points in the second half on the way to the 12-point win.

Clarke led all scorers on the day and added five rebounds. Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod posted nine points to go with her seven rebounds and five assists. CU's bench put up 25 points, getting nine apiece from Aubrey Knight and Charlotte Whittaker.

Jaelyn Brown led Cal with 12 points.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado outrebounded Cal 47-30 (+17). It was the team's largest margin in the last four games (USC +19).

NOTES: Clarke's 14 points were the most in a Pac-12 game since 15 last season vs Washington…Colorado shot 81.3 percent (13-16) from the free-throw line…Lesila Finau scored all seven of her points in the first quarter…CU is now 8-12 all-time against Cal…It was also CU's first win in Berkeley since 2017.

NEXT UP: The Buffs prepare for round two against the Oregon schools next week. Colorado will take on Oregon State on Thursday and Oregon on Saturday.

QUOTES
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall thoughts
"i think we proved day in day out that we're very resilient group. I knew that we would be able to bounce back after Stanford because that's sort of who we are. I appreciate that we were able to flush a major disappointment [loss at Stanord] in less than 48 hours. I thought we played a pretty good basketball game. It was wonderful to have Charlotte back. I thought Sila [Finau] played tremendously this weekend, looking to be aggressive and scoring the ball. We definitely need her to continue to do that. And then our rebounding numbers were fantastic."

On the third quarter
"We pretty much just talk about everything. We don't try to play mind tricks. We say, listen, 'we haven't had good third quarters we got to fix it. What are we going to do about it?' so we've been very intentional as a staff about trying to address it and come up with some strategies to do better and I think we have. I think our team likes that directness and it's shown that it's improving."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Back