What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's Bball opens Pac play hosting ASU (Friday, 7:00 PM) and Arizona (Sunday, 1:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Hope lots of folk in the area make it to the Keg to root the team on!

ASU is receiving the 27th most votes in the country in the current A/P Top 25 poll (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/associated-press), so will be a tough and good challenge for the Buffs to start the conference part of the season.

Believe I heard (maybe in a Coach Payne press conference?) the Buffs may be at full strength for the 1st time since early in the season as, at least as of a week or so ago, both Quinessa Caylao-Do and Zoe Correal are supposed to be back from injury this week.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

1st Preview (Which starts with a nice summary of transfer Janea Bunn's challenging road to Boulder).-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...-home-for-bunn-both-on-and-off-the-court.aspx

"
BOULDER — In some ways, Janea Bunn feels as if she's living part of her life in reverse.

Today, the junior on the Colorado women's basketball team is enjoying the life of a college student and the stability that comes with it. She knows when and where her next meal will be. She knows she will have clean clothes to wear to school, and she can go home each day knowing the electricity and heat in her home will not have been shut off while she was gone.

Most importantly, she knows where her home will be — not just for the next few weeks, but for the foreseeable future.

These are things that most college students — most people, for that matter — take for granted.

But Bunn, who grew up in Springfield, Mass., doesn't take life for granted. Life has seldom been easy for her. Stability was not a big part of the picture for someone who spent some of her childhood in foster care, some in cramped homes with her mother and four siblings — and some literally homeless.

"I had to grow up very, very quickly," Bunn said matter-of-factly in a recent interview. "I wasn't able to enjoy the things that most kids are able to enjoy. I was worried about things like, 'How is our electric bill going to be paid? How are we going to eat tonight? Are we going to have clean laundry for school tomorrow?' Those are things you worry about when you are grown up and get out into the 'real world,' not when you are a kid."

UP NEXT FOR CU
The Buffs open Pac-12 play this weekend with two home games. CU hosts Arizona State at 7 p.m. on Friday and Arizona at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Friday's game will be televised on Pac-12 Networks.

SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
ASU enters Friday's game 9-3 this season, having won five of its past six games. The three teams the Sun Devils have lost to are all currently ranked in the AP top 25 (No. 5 Mississippi State, No. 19 Green Bay and No. 13 Florida State). Since a loss to FSU on Dec. 10, ASU has had a pair of blowout wins (77-30 over Idaho and 89-43 over Arkansas).

As is typically the case with ASU women's basketball, it all starts with defense for the Sun Devils as they allow just 52.9 points per game and have held six opponents under 50 points this season. They also outrebound their opponents by 7.6 boards per game and have a 6.3 turnover margin per game.

Kianna Ibis, a 6-1 junior, leads ASU at 12.1 points per game, followed by 6-1 sophomore Jamie Ruden (10.5) and junior guard Sabrina Haines (10.2). Sophomore Reili Richardson leads the team in assists at 5.3 per game, while 6-3 junior Charnea Johnson-Chapman averages a team-best 7.3 rebounds per game to go with an 8.7 scoring average. Courtney Ekmark (9.3) and Robbi Ryan (9.2) also have scored near double figures throughout non-conference play.

Arizona enters the weekend at just 4-7 overall this season, but enters Pac-12 play coming off a 76-74 double-overtime win over Southern Utah. Despite the record, Arizona has outscored its opponents this season and averages 68.4 points per night, while winning the turnover battle ( 1.9) and rebounding margin ( 0.7). Where the Wildcats have struggled this season is defensively, allowing opponents to shoot 42.3 percent from the floor and make 7.1 3-point field goals per game.

JaLea Bennett has been Arizona's leader throughout non-conference play, averaging 16.5 points and 5.5 rebounds, while shooting 45.2 percent from the floor. She had 20 points in the win over Southern Utah. Marlee Kyles is second in scoring at 10.6 points per game, coming off the bench in all 11 games. Sam Thomas is the team's leading rebounder (9.0) and also averages 9.6 points. Lucia Alonso averages 9.3 points and a team-best 3.9 assists. Destiny Graham (9.6) and Kat Wright (8.8) have also been consistent scorers this season.

U of A is a young squad this season as Bennett and Wright are the only two seniors on the roster.

PROMOTIONS
Friday's game against ASU is Family Fun night with activities planned for people of all ages. There will be a bounce house and games in Chip's Corral from 5:30 p.m. until tipoff. Popcorn will cost just $1 at the game. At halftime, CU's nationally-prominent cheer team will perform its nationals routine.

On Sunday against Arizona, CU's marketing staff will help celebrate the top moments of the 2017 calendar year. The first 500 fans will receive a poster of a great moment in 2017 CU athletics. CU's dance team will perform its nationals jazz routine at halftime.
"

Vs. ASU (Friday, 7:00 PM MT start)
Live video -
Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and Arizona channels. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at http://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2017/12/29/arizona-state-colorado .

Live Audio - On Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcast also available for streaming via http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1176&type=Live .

Live stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

Vs. Arizona (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT start)
Live video (Free live stream) -
http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Audio - On Radio: 630 KHOW, with broadcast also available for streaming via http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=1177&type=Live .

Live stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wbball/

I've been looking forward to this game (ASU) for about two weeks. In my book it's winnable, but of course won't be easy. Will the younger players step up to the intensity of conference play? Is Annika going to continue to play like the conference freshman of the year? How will JR work Quinessa back into the rotation?

The first four conference games are critical to the Buffs as they are all winnable (ASU, Arizona, @WSU @UW). They could go anywhere from 4-0 to 1-3. If they aspire to make a run at a top seven finish they have to go at least 3-1.

Looking forward to a double header tonight. Will watch the 7pm women's game at the Keg then home to catch the men's game on TV which tips off at 9pm. Hopefully a W for both.

After a SLOW start by both clubs, asu makes a few shots to go up 4-10 at the media timeout. (asu made 4 subs after I believe the 1st 4 whistles (within the 1st 2 minutes or so. Be interesting to hear what their coach's philosophy is on that.)

Tough start causes Buff timeout down 7-20.

Looks like Buffs are going to have to shake off the holiday break, as they look very slow, especially on the boards, and are now settling for quick jumpers when they haven't shown to be a great shooting club so far this season.

7-21 at the end of the 1st quarter. NOTHING good so far for the Buffs other than causing a few turnovers.

Buffs are pathetic in all aspects in the first quarter. Got out rebounded 16-5! Couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. ASU 21-7.

Looks like this game is over. ASU up 29-11 with 5:35 in 2nd quarter. Worst game of the season for CU.

After a 1st quarter where the Buffs settled for many quick jumpers, they then decided to try driving more in the 2nd, but unfortunately those drives were 1 on 2 or 1 on 3 efforts where the driver didn't have any passing options. 14 in a half- NOT pretty.

Wow. CU looks as if they haven’t been in the gym in a month or more. Can’t believe the level of ineptitude in all aspects of the game. A total of 14 points in the first half?

Looks like this game is over. ASU up 29-11 with 5:35 in 2nd quarter. Worst game of the season for CU.

It's one thing to lose but this was just disheartening. The bottom line is our starting backcourt needs to avg 30 ppg combined to win vs a decent team. We can't depend on all of these newcomers for points. It looks like we only have 4 players that are capable of scoring so all 4 need to do that or it's going to be a long year.

Do we even have four players capable of scoring?

Can anyone besides Bunn be counted on? The defenses will be after her now.

Either the team was not ready or they were totally outclassed. I don't like either of those.

Well, the best thing I can say after watching this debacle is that there will be no shortage of tape showing things the players need to work on. Oh and all eight of the newcomers got to play tonight so they all got a taste of what its like to play in the PAC-12.

Do we even have four players capable of scoring?

Can anyone besides Bunn be counted on? The defenses will be after her now.

Either the team was not ready or they were totally outclassed. I don't like either of those.

I think Jank, Kennedy, Alexis and Bunn are capable if they are all aggressive on offense. I don't see much scoring wise beyond them. I think we are really missing Haley Smith and Mackenzie Ellis as well. I hope these 4 start to work understand that they need to carry the scoring load.

Neither Lex or Kennedy have been hitting well this season. Kennedy has had way too many turnovers.

Jank and Bunn are playing better than those two at this point.

Brecca played like a freshman last night.

Lots of work to be done at practice today.

Neither Lex or Kennedy have been hitting well this season. Kennedy has had way too many turnovers.

Jank and Bunn are playing better than those two at this point.

Brecca played like a freshman last night.

Lots of work to be done at practice today.
Hold on a minute: one game does not a season make
Lex is still coming off of a serious injury. Most player sit for a season to recover.
Kennedy has the highest FG and FT percentages of her career this year. Her shots per game are down significantly (strategy or too unselfish). However her PPA (points per attempt) is by far best on the team and in the top of the Pac-12. Her assists are on pace to surpass last years record result with TOs being the same as last year. Assist/TO is best of her career.
Playing with 8 new players, multiple starting line ups, no consistent outside threat coupled with defensive schemes designed to neutralize your guards I would say Kennedy and Lex could always do more but are probably not the problem,.

While we played a terrible game last night it’s important to look at the key areas ASU dominated. ASUs 2 primary bigs were a combined 14 of 21 (ours 10-21) from the field. Their two primary guards were 3 of 13 (ours 3-16). Their wing 5-11 ours 1-6).They killed us on the boards, shot and made 12 more FTs and had 9 more assists. Their bench out scored ours 38-16.

Last edited:
Hold on a minute: one game does not a season make
Lex is still coming off of a serious injury. Most player sit for a season to recover.
Kennedy has the highest FG and FT percentages of her career this year. Her shots per game are down significantly (strategy or too unselfish). However her PPA (points per attempt) is by far best on the team and in the top of the Pac-12. Her assists are on pace to surpass last years record result with TOs being the same as last year. Assist/TO is best of her career.
Playing with 8 new players, multiple starting line ups, no consistent outside threat coupled with defensive schemes designed to neutralize your guards I would say Kennedy and Lex could always do more but are probably not the problem,.

While we played a terrible game last night it’s important to look at the key areas ASU dominated. ASUs 2 primary bigs were a combined 14 of 21 (ours 10-21) from the field. Their two primary guards were 3 of 13 (ours 3-16). Their wing 5-11 ours 1-6).They killed us on the boards, shot and made 12 more FTs and had 9 more assists. Their bench out scored ours 38-16.

I'm sorry but our backcourt isn't doing enough offensively meaning scoring. This team needs scoring badly and these two need to be at 30 ppg combined in PAC 12 play at least for us to compete. Both are playing way too unselfish imho. 3/16 between the two of them. They should combine for 30 attempts a game at least.

Last edited:
I did something I haven't done in a long time, if ever last night - left at the end of the third quarter. And I wasn't the only one.
Statistics can't do justice to what went on in the game. CU was demoralized more or less by the end of the first quarter. As my son said, "They played as if they didn't care."

ASU executed their game plan very well. The Buffs just wilted. It was disheartening to see the veterans not have the mental toughness to lead the rest of the team.

More later.

Back