What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Garrett Riley - OC TCU

I don’t hate it, but I definitely feel like it would be a risky move at a time when we really shouldn’t be making risky moves. We need a known commodity with the leverage to make real changes at CU. Riley isn’t that guy yet.

I always like the coordinator from big time school route, the MT route, but nobody is jumping out at me a ton in that realm this year. Still kinda early though

lots of former P5 HCs available, sure would feel good to get one of them

another safer realm is probably MWC --> P12, but the pickings don't feel great there this year. Brady Hoke and Jeff Tedford are names with P5 exp, but both are setup for meh seasons this year with broken QBs. Andy Avalos has Boise playing well, but who has failed at Boise? Tedford feels like he should be ancient, he's only 60, but he's an old af 60

Other G5 conferences don't seem to have much going on that's interesting this year. Willie Fritz is 7-1 at Tulane, hot off a 2-10 season last year.. 38-44 overall, that's a hard no

P12 coordinators are mostly meh, Dillingham is the most interesting, but he's young

Grimes and Dunn and a few others are definitely interesting from the coordinator realm, just not really big time schools, tbh how much does that really matter. Might be better to get someone that isn't accustomed to having 7 5*s running around on offense

FCS wise I do like Taylor and he has P5 coordinator experience, but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FCS is such a different realm from P5
Didn't Dillingham call plays at FSU?

I like RIley more than I do him.

I don’t hate it, but I definitely feel like it would be a risky move at a time when we really shouldn’t be making risky moves. We need a known commodity with the leverage to make real changes at CU. Riley isn’t that guy yet.
Would almost guarantee he'd land a top 20 QB in his first class.

Seriously - I think having a brother at a non-rival school who is in contact with the nation's best recruits could be a very valuable asset. "We're only taking one QB this year, you should take a look at Colorado." Unless they hate each other.

Seriously - I think having a brother at a non-rival school who is in contact with the nation's best recruits could be a very valuable asset. "We're only taking one QB this year, you should take a look at Colorado, if our QB doesnt work out or you really blossom, we'll reachout through the portal."

FIFY

Lincoln also had 6 years at TTU in various capacities, 4 years as OC at ECU and then 2 years as OC at OU before taking over a job he was basically groomed for, knew the leadership of the school, expectations, had an entire staff in place, etc.
Yeah I mean Garrett had 9 years as an assistant at ECU, Kansas, and App State before joining Dykes at SMU where he’s now in his 3rd season as OC. I’ll grant you having a staff basically in place is probably a much easier transition than trying to build a program like CU at a totally new school.

For the record, I’m not in favor of this at all, but I suppose I’d be slightly more optimistic about this hire than I would someone in the Calhoun, Sanford, FCS HC tier of options.

Questions around what kind of staff he could assemble, lack of experience as head coach, ability to build a program and ability to develop his players, not somebody else’s, makes it a risky hire. Plenty of upside, but I would maintain this would be a plan C option. Still on the list, but shouldn’t be our primary target.

A serious post - I think Riley is a really good candidate. Yes, he's inexperienced, but if he's a total bust, I would expect him to turn out a couple of good recruiting classes. The hire would receive attention from the national media, and shows that we are at least trying.

From his perspective, I wonder why he would take this job.

1. If he turns it around, he's a legend.
2. If he fails, he's young enough to go back and do the coordinator route and be a HC by the time he's 40.

I know Lincoln brought in great classes at OU and USC, but does Garrett have a reputation as an ace recruiter?

I like the idea of Garrett Riley. I would prefer someone climbing to reach their peak vs a Mendenhall who is on the downside of their career and best coaching days are in the rear view mirror. It's a risk just as almost any hire is.

I believe so, granted that was under Mike Norvell and at Memphis. Oregon offense looking decent tho
You're right. I think we're going to have competition from ASU if we're interested in Dillingham.

Riley I think is going to be a stud of an HC.

The article states at the end that it’s low probability and guys like Sean Lewis and Willie Fritz are better candidates. I think I prefer Riley to both of them
Not saying that Riley is a slam dunk or even the best choice, but given his position, I wonder why he would take this job. And posters here are like “no way - he’s too young.”

Not saying that Riley is a slam dunk or even the best choice, but given his position, I wonder why he would take this job. And posters here are like “no way - he’s too young.”
I see both sides and I’m on record in this thread saying I don’t want the next HC chosen based on simply running a good offense. There has to be far more and maybe Riley has it all and wows in his interview, but I would probably prefer a more proven HC.

You make good points about transfers and recruiting with his brother, though. I would think Lincoln would do a lot to help his brother succeed at a program that’s not competing before the same thing.

Riley’s agent pushing hard for a raise over the last few days. Almost November, so I reckon it’s about that time.

If he got this job, Garrett Riley would be pretty much the same age Lincoln was when he took over Oklahoma.......so the age thing is stupid.

He's making a move one way or another this offseason IMO. Maybe he goes to a bigger program as OC. In terms of why here.....its a power five job for one. I don't see him coming here unless the transfer nonsense gets fixed though.

He might be the "Does CU have the balls to make this hire?" candidate in this search.

Last edited:
There’s a decent chance TCU runs the table. At which point, Riley isn’t even a choice for CU.

Back