What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grading Mel Tucker - First Season

What grade do you give Mel in his first season?

• A

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • A-

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • B+

Votes: 38 18.5%
  • B

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • B-

Votes: 35 17.1%
  • C+

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • C

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • C-

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • D

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mel Tucker came in with high expectations. He promised to instill and inculcate a culture of physicality and both physical and mental toughness. I don't think anyone had the expectation that he would be able to pull off beating ****braska. That was a solid achievement. However, losing to Air Force was really a honest brokering of who Tucker is a coach. I think we'll see that he should be a plus recruiter, better than we've had in Boulder since McCartney and Promise Keepers on campus, but I think Tucker will be revealed as a formula coach with very little insight or innovative adjustments in-game. We can win a lot of games with Tucker. However, he isn't a deep critical thinker and wasn't able to come up with adjustments to beat an Air Force program where their best athletes can't hold a candle to our worst. That should not be ignored. This won't be the last time a Mel Tucker team loses to an inferior opponent who is doing something either innovative or non-traditional.

C-
but the program is in better hands than its been in for a long time
Mel left at least two wins on the table this season

(Hint: you just described about every college coach in the country)

Mel Tucker came in with high expectations. He promised to instill and inculcate a culture of physicality and both physical and mental toughness. I don't think anyone had the expectation that he would be able to pull off beating ****braska. That was a solid achievement. However, losing to Air Force was really a honest brokering of who Tucker is a coach. I think we'll see that he should be a plus recruiter, better than we've had in Boulder since McCartney and Promise Keepers on campus, but I think Tucker will be revealed as a formula coach with very little insight or innovative adjustments in-game. We can win a lot of games with Tucker. However, he isn't a deep critical thinker and wasn't able to come up with adjustments to beat an Air Force program where their best athletes can't hold a candle to our worst. That should not be ignored. This won't be the last time a Mel Tucker team loses to an inferior opponent who is doing something either innovative or non-traditional.

C-
but the program is in better hands than its been in for a long time
Mel left at least two wins on the table this season
That Air Force team was very athletic along with being well coached.

That Air Force team was very athletic along with being well coached.

AF among the 4 teams who beat us and ended the season ranked in the AP top 25. Hope they crush Wazzou at the Cheez-It

imo: how well the team did this year is not the best measure. It's how well he put into effect a new attitude for players and coaches (and fans too) , how he and the program are viewed by recruits nationally, how well he has set the table for next year. this was a stronger, more competitive team then we've had for a quite awhile. i'm thinking B+

Gave a B-

Positives:
Beat UW finally
Beat ranked ASU on the road
Beat ranked nebraska and ruined their season again
Beat CSU in opener
OL played considerably better this year; we ran the ball well
Forced more turnovers this year
Defense finally got the 30+ points against monkey off our back

Negatives
Let USC, AF, AZ off the hook
Failed to compete against Oregon, Wazzu, Utah, UCLA
Injuries were killer
Mental penalties were a problem late in the season
Offense regressed in performance from last year
Defense gave up lots of points and lots of yards

I will pipe in here. I did not give him a grade. When Mel Tucker was hired he checked off the boxes that I had long said were my criteria for hiring a HC - premier recruiter, Coordinator at a top 10 program, mentored under a NC coach. I have always believed it would take 3 seasons to get this team close to where they need to be in terms of competing in the top 25. That is why I did not grade him.

At this point in time I am extremely impressed with Coach Tucker. He is going after championships and knows he has to get those types of Athletes. And that is what he is doing. Some complain about the scheme but great players make the scheme much easier to run. I remember a few years ago people thought John Chavis was a superman as a DC. After going to Arkansas he is nothing impressive. I am expecting a bowl game next year, top 25 in year 3, and in the hunt for the Top 10 in year 5. Yes, I want a high bar.

Wilmer is great.

Disagree with him here. He was too generous. This was going to be a transition year, but this team took three bad losses in conference. You can't lose to 6-6 Wazzu by 31 or 4-8 UCLA by 17.......and the loss to Arizona (the obvious worst team in the league) was a killer. C or C-

Back