What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here we go again, another SI article.....

It's all part of being a big boy program. The Tumpkin thing wouldn't have made SI had the football team gone 3-9. Every program that has success will have to deal with a little additional scrutiny from an ever increasingly irrelevant media. That creeping irrelevance pushes them to dig for stories that have little, if any substance to them. They're doing their best to remain relevant in an era where their contributions are valued less and less. To that end, I really don't see either MM or RG leaving over something like this. It's all part of the job and they'd have to deal with it anywhere they went if they are part of a succcessful program.

The Tumpkin thing wouldn't have made SI had the football team gone 3-9.

This is really at the root of it.

CU was the big story last year, and as such, there is going to be even more scrutiny than there would otherwise be, even in a domestic abuse situation.

It still would have made SI regardless of record. Domestic violence in football is like blood in the water for the media.

Agreed, but CU was the feel good story last year and MM won coach of the year. Plenty of red meat for the media to feed on when the JT news broke. Just wish Oregon could have hired Leavitt a month later than they did.

It still would have made SI regardless of record. Domestic violence in football is like blood in the water for the media.
Of course it's impossible to prove one way or another. However, I'll stick to my original assertion based on the fact that the only unseemly thing the SI article managed to dig up was the supposed "promotion" of Tumpkin for the bowl game. No bowl game, no "promotion". No "promotion", no story. The story has no teeth on a 3-9 team.

Of course it's impossible to prove one way or another. However, I'll stick to my original assertion based on the fact that the only unseemly thing the SI article managed to dig up was the supposed "promotion" of Tumpkin for the bowl game. No bowl game, no "promotion". No "promotion", no story. The story has no teeth on a 3-9 team.
That's fair, but I still think the narrative that MM didn't report it would have been reported on. Nobody would have cared, though, so you're definitely right about the record having an effect.

"...the wrestling coach at North High in the mid-1970s is good people. Friend 'a mine. Runs a great house painting company now. His son is the TE coach at Adams State....."
"and Liquid Gold started in a garage on Garfield Street."

My head almost exploded from the BS spewing from this guy by the second paragraph.
4221396001_5278381352001_5278375061001-vs.jpg

Regarding SI, they're in financial difficulty. This year, they've announced that they are cutting the number of issues per year by a little over 15% to reduce costs. (I don't thing they make money except for Swimsuit, Sportsman/woman of the Year, and championship edition covers for major sports). Their big investment right now is on producing a tv docudrama series on sports figures who have had crime scandals, which they'll shop around to the various networks. Their focus is drifting away from sports reporting and toward clickbait type stories.

I don't remember the last time I even bought an SI magazine. I've still got the 94 Michigan one but but very few others. Broncos first SB, have that one too.

CU Football is bigger than one coach, and WE as a whole fan base need to continue making sure that all aspects of the program continue to grow. We need to have sellouts at the stadium, we need to keep fund-raising and improving facilities, and we need to keep recruiting. Honestly, if MM leaves, I wish him luck and I thank him for bringing back our program. But, I firmly believe that one of the reasons that MM will leave is because he does want to get away from these types of things that occur at CU. One shining light right now is Darren Chiaverini and the potential that he is almost ready to take the program over. I think DC is going to soon get recruited to go and coach a smaller program, like someone in the MAC or MWC, and then eventually a Power 5 team and we cannot afford to lose him. DC is the 3rd most important person at CU right now. MM, RG, DC. So, if the first 2 leave, we better keep the third!!! I also think that one of the other most important people is Drew Wilson. I do not believe that MM can and will be end of the line for the Rise. If all goes well, we keep everyone for a long time and Rise up in the PAC 12 and have a wonderful ride being a Top 20 program again, and pound the Skers in '18 and '19!!!

That's why the administration ****ed up here. These articles were avoidable. And though the article has a negative angle, the author isn't exactly wrong. The "well he went to Nebraska" excuse is one of the dumber things I've seen on this board. I'd like to think this board is better than that. Otherwise we're just like every other fan base we talk **** about.

This will get thrown out. It's nothing more than a lawyer spreading a very wide net to try to get as much as he can for his client. If anybody at CU is actually found culpable, it opens up the door for every domestic abuse victim to sue his/her abusers employer for damages. No way that can stand.

Of course she is.

Honestly, I don't think Tumpkin has much money at this point. If CU can settle it without any admission of wrongdoing to help her get things back on track then I'm not opposed to that outcome. It's hard to imagine she has much of a case against anyone but Tumpkin.

Of course she is.

Honestly, I don't think Tumpkin has much money at this point. If CU can settle it without any admission of wrongdoing to help her get things back on track then I'm not opposed to that outcome. It's hard to imagine she has much of a case against anyone but Tumpkin.
Oh boy. There's a part of me that wants CU to vigorously defend itself and its staff (other than Tumpkin) from this. OTOH, we come across as a bunch of uncaring assholes if we do that. I hate the idea of a settlement, but it might be the best course of action. I just threw up a little in my mouth.

IM confused why benson is being thrown in there, I thought the investigation left him out of it and said it escalated to PD and that was it?

Back