What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If I hear one more Regent candidate tell me he/she want's to keep CU affordable...

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
I'm going to scream.

What the hell? CU isn't designed to be affordable. It's designed to offer the finest level of higher education possible. We have tons of affordable higher education options. Junior colleges, community colleges, etc. CU isn't meant to be affordable. It was built to be excellent, not affordable.

Just once, I'd like to see a candidate for Regent say that he/she wants to improve CU across the board. To strive for excellence in all areas. Academic standing, athletics, research, all of it. Nobody is saying that. They are all concentrating on the wrong stuff, IMO.

We have the wrong people running for Regent. This sucks.

Thats what I said in my email to Joe Neguse - Why doesn't CU strive for excellence in everything?

He never responded.

it is the mission of a public school to try to be accessible to all students, regardless of economic background. i agree that there are plenty of alternatives within the state to CU, but none offer everything that CU-boulder has to offer. cal is one of the finest schools in the nation and doesn't charge a premium above what other uc schools here charge.

CU is in a bit of different spot, in that it appears likely that state funding is going to continue to decrease. at the point that the school becomes private or quasi-private, then i'd agree that affordability is no longer a core requirement. but, until then, the school should not be made totally inaccessible to a wide swath of colorado kids just on the basis of cost.

It's not the mission of the school to be affordable. It's the mission to provide a first class higher education. It's the mission of the junior colleges and community college feeder schools like Metro and Front Range Community College to be affordable. If you want affordable and a CU education, you get your associates from Front Range and then transfer to CU to finish. That's the affordable option. You can't simultaneously worry about affordability and excellence. While not mutually exclusive, they are not entirely compatable, either. The quality of a CU education has decreased in recent years while the school concerns itself with being affordable.

[video=youtube;eiRGRvE_Wqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRGRvE_Wqg[/video]

Sorry... couldn't help it

It also struck me that CU has an affordable option. It's called CU-Denver. A quick peek at the difference in tuition between CU-Boulder and CU-Denver reveals that a resident undergrad taking a full class load at CU -Denver will pay $3,388 per semester. Apparently, that covers all fees (there wasn't a separate accounting of fees, so I'm making the assumption). At CU-Boulder, base tuition for an Arts & Science resident undergrad is $4,028 per semester, plus fees of an additional $628, bringing the total cost to $4,653/Semester. That's a savings of $1,265 per semester at CU-Denver compared to CU-Boulder. The reason for the difference is obvious - CU-Boulder has more bells & whistles. It has dorms, cafeterias, a police department, an athletic department, student centers, research facilities, etc. All that makes CU-Boulder a great place, but it's not cheap.

You quality and affordability? Watch the number of administrators versus faculty. Keep the number of admin types low.

You only need so many assistant vice provosts of diversity on staff! Say....about one.

You want affordability?

Win a bunch of football games, inspire alums and others to fund a boatload of merit based scholarships, use them on students who not only increase the quality of your student body but also wouldn't be able to attend CU with or without the regent candidates definition of affordable.

Back